Singapore Expats Forum

Dream Home in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Dream Home in Singapore

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:05 pm

Our lease is coming up soon and we've decided to stay where we are -- even though I do love to go house/flat hunting, I really do. I've looked at so many places over the years -- started me thinking: if price was no object and you could live anywhere in Singapore, where would it be?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:14 pm

Well, I have seen a quite nice house along Orchard, with a cute garden, it's on the left side before Plaza Singapura... I think that one should be OK.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:42 pm

The Istana CD? Entirely too ostentatious for you. I always wanted to live on Nassim. So quiet and cool and the Botanic Garden is right there.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:59 pm

When you go to Kent Ridge park and do the treewalk over there, you will view a beautiful valley in fron, nice hills and nature all around. A few big villas over there, 3 or 4.

I would not mind staying in one of those...

The new area being developed at east coast, when you just cross the bridge on the ECP, opposite Pebble Bay condo, so in between ECP and the sea.

I can imagine staying there, right at the sea, surrounded by nature.

In short, it would have to be away from downtown, lots of nature around and if possible the sound of the waves crashing ashore.

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:02 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:When you go to Kent Ridge park and do the treewalk over there, you will view a beautiful valley in fron, nice hills and nature all around. A few big villas over there, 3 or 4.

Eric

Are you talking about those black & whites you can see from the cable cars from Mt. Faber? Those are gorgeous.

What about the new developemnt on Sentosa? Too artificial?

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:07 pm

I like houses near Holland Village. But here's my list of places, thru my days of house/condo hunting:-

Pebble Bay
Duchess Crest
Regency Park
St. Martin Residence
The levelz
Adam Park - with it's own private outdoor jaccuzi
The Lincoln Modern
Marang Rd - Old Antique Apartments (Can't recall the name)

I have stayed at Nassim Hill, The Loft. Nice, but not quite complete, in my sense, can't figure out what's missing there....

MHB, not sure if you are into Fengshui when you go house shopping, half of the places I think is fine, couldn't pass the fengshui test :roll:

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:08 pm

I wouldn't change where I am. Beautiful seascape from my window, friendly neighbours, close to shopping, and transport (though wouldn't mind an MRT).

Not to far from the new complex you talk about Eric. That one looks like it will be really good too.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:12 pm

bushbride wrote:I wouldn't change where I am. Beautiful seascape from my window, friendly neighbours, close to shopping, and transport (though wouldn't mind an MRT).

Not to far from the new complex you talk about Eric. That one looks like it will be really good too.

That's a good frame of mind to be in, BB. East Coast is out of the question for American School families, a 60 minute bus commute :(

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:24 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:When you go to Kent Ridge park and do the treewalk over there, you will view a beautiful valley in fron, nice hills and nature all around. A few big villas over there, 3 or 4.

Eric

Are you talking about those black & whites you can see from the cable cars from Mt. Faber? Those are gorgeous.

What about the new developemnt on Sentosa? Too artificial?

Those black and white you mention are nice too, absolutely. But Kent Ridge park is a bit more to the west. You enter from Keppel Way, go into Pepys Road and drive up the hill to Kent Ridge park (entrance of Bukit Chendu museum, nice one). The there the treetop walk will start. Halfway you have a beautiful view on the mentioned valley, with on the right side a few hundred meters ahead Winchester Road, Canterbury Road and York Road. The villas would be located at either one of those roads.

Another suggestion: Buy Alkaff Mansion on Telok Blangah Hill, beaaaaautifuuuuul....

It used to be a fantastic restaurant in perfect surroundings, closed down a few years agao (WHY?????). Now it is in decay, not been taken care of...

Buy it, renovate it and you will have the best place in Singapore.

Sentosa cove is a big NOT for me, you pay millions and will still have neighbours being able to hear you go to the bathroom.

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:30 pm

I know the Kent Ridge Canopy Walk I was almost struck by lightening up there (second time) I don't remeber any house, too busy curled up in the fetal position... :o

Alkaff mansion, now you're talkin'! That would be sweet. Ate there a few times, good rijstafel. All those maidens serving you, fun!

Didn't you enjoy a very special occasion at Alkaff mansion, perhaps then it is a curse?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:43 pm

It seems like La Reinne, doesnot it... :(

Eric

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:50 pm

I'm on the east and I really like it here so I'd probably stay in the same codo - maybe get a penthouse though and it would definitely be refurbished (the one we are in is falling apart!). Good sea views and breezes though.

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Tue, 09 May 2006 4:22 pm

Since CD resides in Istana already, I go for Queen Astrid Park.

RYG
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 09 May 2006 4:33 pm

Rose_YG wrote:Since CD resides in Istana already, I go for Queen Astrid Park.

RYG

Used to be the most expensive real estate, the 'Park Place' on Singapore Monopoly, is it still?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 09 May 2006 4:39 pm

It puzzles me....

6th avenue is seen as prime prime area here, but when I drive through the street, I find it in no way exclusive at all. Some of the side alleys (also called 6th ave) do look pretty much ok, but as a whole I find it less than ordinary.

Those villas high on top at Queen Astrid Park though are indeed awesome.

La Reinne, I guess you need a bit more than monopoly money to buy an estate there... :P

Eric