Singapore Expats Forum

Campaigns to fight HIV - do you take notice?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Campaigns to fight HIV - do you take notice?

Postby Kats_ » Tue, 09 May 2006 1:48 pm

Are the of any use? Does it actually reach the masses?

Nevermind the alleged rape charges or the scandal or the conspiracy that all this was a set up by his opposition; I was utterly surprised by Mr. Zuma's comment that he had unprotected sex with this lady who he knew was HIV+ and had a shower after to minimise the risk of infection.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4879822.stm

and to top it all he had headed the National Aids Council.

Do campaigns help at all? I imagine the Aids activists dishing out information through various self-organised events, at schools, organisations and hospitals. I see posters and adverts on MTV even (which I think is very sensible)

But do general public actually acknowledge it?? Do they really stop and see what it is all about?

There is obviously something missing. What do you think could be done to improve awareness?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 09 May 2006 1:52 pm

Shocking story about Mr. Zuma - how idiotic can you get.

On the subject of campaigns - you have to try as without them things would be a lot worse.

Improve awareness? Not sure how, perhaps more on local tv, include AIDS stories in local soaps that sort of thing, give people the idea that it can happen to anyone, even them.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 09 May 2006 1:58 pm

My Mum's twin brother died from AIDS related illness in the late '80s. He was a fairly well known person and did a lot of campaigning etc to educate people at a time when not a lot was known about AIDS. He stood up and he told people what was happening to him and let them know it could happen to them too.

Once someone you know contracts this disease I'm sure the message will get through. Other than that it is up to everyone to look out for themselves first and foremost in this respect and if someone who has HIV or AIDS sleeps with someone and knowingly doesn't use protection it does make you wonder.

It doesn't help in countries such as this where it is still made out to be a 'gay' disease and where people who have HIV are far too scared to admit it and so we can all close our eyes and pretend it doesn't happen.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:01 pm

I was just about to make a comment on this Kats and you beat me to it.

I watched the BBC segment Zuma's verdict. I was also shocked when Zuma made the statement that the woman had HIV and that he did not use contraception because - get this - he believed that having a shower after would reduce his risk of contracting the disease! And him, on the AIDs Council!!!

Considering the AIDs epidemic across Africa, and the UNs constant AIDs education push, how could the Deputy, a ‘supposedly’ greater educated fellow, have such a misconception?

... is it reflective of the UN’s failure at a local level in education, when a government official isnt aware of the disease?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:21 pm

what I read above about Mr. Zuma shows just how 'thick' some people are.
Campaigns have only a limited effect since over indoctrination leads eventually to a disregard of the subject. Put another way if you keep seeing the same advertisement on television you would be apt to disregard it after a while. Personally I think there should be more television programs that show exactly what the disease does but even then there are going to be those who simply do not listen.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 09 May 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icedragon1420
Regular
Regular

Postby icedragon1420 » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:26 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Shocking story about Mr. Zuma - how idiotic can you get.

On the subject of campaigns - you have to try as without them things would be a lot worse.

Improve awareness? Not sure how, perhaps more on local tv, include AIDS stories in local soaps that sort of thing, give people the idea that it can happen to anyone, even them.

Its time like this im embarresed to be South African :cry: :oops:

but now that his rape trial is out of the way he can focus on the corruption trial how nice? :???: Back Home HIV is in your face on a daily bases 'use protection ,have only one partner,HIV kills HIV this HIV that you have to be blind deaf and plain stupid not to know about HIV.This is man that is "an example to our youth" :x I hope they get him for corruption cause that he definatly is CORRUPT.To think he would have been the next president. :evil:
If time is money and money is time then where can i buy some?

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:32 pm

True Plavt.

On the weekend, I was talking with a Japanese friend. He bought a packet of cigarettes and was disgusted at the picture of a baby on life support on the packet.

He spent the next 10 minutes flipping the packet to try to avoid the picture - looking disgusted every time his eye caught it. Eventually he began to disregard the picture all together and carried on smoking.

But, what to do?

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:49 pm

OK... this may be a little extream but, what about a mass advertising campaign on sex toys - you don't need a d**k or v**na to enjoy if you have HIV...

or extream... Singapore model - laws against certain things with serious consequences...there could be something in this

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:54 pm

Plavt wrote:what I read above about Mr. Zuma shows just how 'thick' some people are.
Campaigns have only a limited effect since over indoctrination leads eventually to a disregard of the subject. Put another way if you keep seeing the same advertisement on television you would be apt to disregard it after a while. Personally I think there should be more television programs that show exactly what the disease does but even then there are going to be those who simply do not listen.

Plavt.

Go crazy .....make it a mandate....include a mandatory quiz in the tax forms!

The trouble is this world is torn apart with the concept of abstinence; the credibility of which I seriously doubt. When you go preaching that you should practice abstinence then people pay less attention to all the manuals they shoulda woulda coulda read and blink when temptation beats will power.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 09 May 2006 2:57 pm

It's sad to read stories like this.

But, I think alot has to do with education. Barely showing pictures to play with the "fear" factor is not enough.

They need to be educated, perhaps taught in the school etc.

I am sure Mr Zuma knows the danger of AIDS, but his ignorancy shows clearly on how you can get transmitted etc is not sufficient to stop him from having sex without a condom.

Education is the key. Also to teach them to love themselves more. That life is precious, thus precaution is definately necessary.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:34 pm

Fighting HIV?

In terms of curbing/prevention or aftercare?

The problem right now is not whether people are interested or actively involved. The issue is those two main points mentioned earlier, crosses over the other one too many times. Thus actually making the whole war against HIV complex.

Too many things need to be done yes but step back and have a look at where did we start, from which angle.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:38 pm

Education is definitely the key, I heard somewhere in Africa that there is a misconception that if you sleep with someone who doesn't have HIV you can 'cure' yourself by passing it on to them. Sadly this has led to many cases of baby rape :(
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 09 May 2006 3:52 pm

It's amazing to see how far The Rainbow Nation has come since the backward thinking days of Apartdheid . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 09 May 2006 4:19 pm

Some of the poster above think education is the key and in many respects I agree. Unfortunately there are those who throw their knowledge to the wind maybe in an odd fit of madness or blatant contempt for the facts I don't know. Some examples I have come across; two fully trained male nurses one of which was indulging in the sex trade in Thailand, the engineer who removed a radiator cap from an over-heated car looking directly at it - only his glasses saved his eyesight, the pilot who tried to land a small plane despite not being able to see the runway due to fog and collided with a water tower. These are a few I am sure anybody reading this will know of many more. What is it with people that some things just do not register or are somehow ignored even if they have? May be some of us just enjoy taking chances.

Plavt.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Tue, 09 May 2006 4:25 pm

Plavt wrote: What is it with people that some things just do not register or are somehow ignored even if they have? May be some of us just enjoy taking chances.

NOT adventurous - plain irresponsible!