Singapore Expats Forum

Switching from construction - marketing career

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Nelwin

Switching from construction - marketing career

Postby Nelwin » Tue, 09 May 2006 11:34 am

Hi,

Currently l'm working in a construction consultancy firm. Decided to switch to a entirely new business entity since l have just obtained a part time degree(Hons) in Marketing

Sadly to say, have tried a few companies. The reason for being rejected is that l do not have in the area of expertise or experience. In addition, l do not koe what salary range l should put in my CV.

Anyone who can kindly advice me on this matter. Would be much appreciated and many thanks. :???:

:cry:

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Switching from construction - marketing career

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 15 May 2006 1:54 pm

Nelwin wrote:Hi,

Currently l'm working in a construction consultancy firm. Decided to switch to a entirely new business entity since l have just obtained a part time degree(Hons) in Marketing

Sadly to say, have tried a few companies. The reason for being rejected is that l do not have in the area of expertise or experience. In addition, l do not koe what salary range l should put in my CV.

Anyone who can kindly advice me on this matter. Would be much appreciated and many thanks. :???:

:cry:

Hi Nelwin,

Your situation will make job hunting quite challenging. Why not gain some experience doing part-time/temp in a marketing company first? I will say with certainty that without any experience, you're put at a major disadvantage.

As for salary range...I'd say between S$1.6-1.8K would be recommended.

I do'nt dare to suggest any hire because you need to promote your marketability, and not quote a salary which will discourage bosses from hiring you, especially since your degree is part time and you've got no experience.

Cheers and good luck!

Nelwin

Re: Switching from construction - marketing career

Postby Nelwin » Tue, 16 May 2006 5:16 pm

Hi Nelwin,

Your situation will make job hunting quite challenging. Why not gain some experience doing part-time/temp in a marketing company first? I will say with certainty that without any experience, you're put at a major disadvantage.

As for salary range...I'd say between S$1.6-1.8K would be recommended.

I do'nt dare to suggest any hire because you need to promote your marketability, and not quote a salary which will discourage bosses from hiring you, especially since your degree is part time and you've got no experience.

Cheers and good luck![/quote]

Hi Miss Swan,

Thanks for the advice, but currently l'm drawing a salary of ard $2K. So sad, that l hv to start from the scratch. :cry:
Finding a temp job ?? l'm 25 this year . . . Isn't it too late to still find a temp job? Hmmmm . . . anyway its still a good suggestion, perhaps l can try...

Thanks Miss Swan once again