Singapore Expats Forum

Losing the most loved one

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Losing the most loved one

Postby serendipity » Mon, 08 May 2006 11:34 pm

The most loved one can be a thing, can be a person I suppose, but it's something that means so dear to you that by not having it as if there is something empty within you.
Ever had that feeling?
I'm watching Grey's Anatomy at the moment and there was this older couple who seem to love each other so much.
The doctors later found that the wife is having an advanced cancer and nothing can cure it and it's predicted she has only about 4-6 months to live.
So the husband decided to bring her home and not to tell her about the cancer.
The doctor asked why not. And he replied that she's happy, why ruin that.
Only after that, the look on his face when he was staring at her without her noticing just made me cry...
I suppose that look knowing that you're going to lose the person you love the most.
And then you just have to spend the rest of your life as if there is something missing or in this case somebody.
I guess it's probably too dramatic to say as if your life has no meaning anymore, but it probably feels quite close...
Can you imagine yourself in that kind of situation? What you would do?
Makes you feel like what's the point of risking yourself in that kind of situation if eventually you're going to face that kind of pain...

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 08 May 2006 11:44 pm

Cry over it, go insane and get on with life... but let the person know his/her time, its unfair to die without knowing what hit you...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 08 May 2006 11:51 pm

I've been there Serendipity, and believe me, it was grim. It was years ago and the only time I've been able to face it is recently, in this past year. By facing it, I mean, really setting my thoughts down on paper. I wrote a story for 'My mum' and it says it all.

I could pm it to you, but I'd have to know you'd keep it safe.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 08 May 2006 11:57 pm

Its definitely grim, the darkest hours even... If you are kind enough Bubbs, could I have a read too? I've never been able to pen down such deep thoughts... I miss my mum... ... ...

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Tue, 09 May 2006 12:03 am

Bubbles wrote:I've been there Serendipity, and believe me, it was grim. It was years ago and the only time I've been able to face it is recently, in this past year. By facing it, I mean, really setting my thoughts down on paper. I wrote a story for 'My mum' and it says it all.

I could pm it to you, but I'd have to know you'd keep it safe.

Bubbs.

Oh dear... now you hit me on the dot there...
One of the reasons and actually the main reason for me to move here is to be closer to my family and esp. my mum as I noticed her health is not as good as before.
Nothing major at the moment, only minor things, but I did get to hear it more often than before.
I'm still not as close but at least better...
Have a friend who fell into depression deeper than before after hearing about her father passed away when she was abroad and it really scares me to know that I can also slip there quite easily...
Now where is that phone card...?

I would love to read your writing Bubbs.
I'll send a PM to tell you that actually in a way you sort of know me more than you thought you did till now, I suppose...

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Tue, 09 May 2006 7:53 am

When a beautiful person passes on...
somewhere, another is born.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Tue, 09 May 2006 8:44 am

tiki wrote:When a beautiful person passes on...
somewhere, another is born.

This is beautiful tiki...

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Tue, 09 May 2006 8:55 am

Sing my bruthas and sistas
sing till dawn
Rejoice and drench yourselves
for those who have gone.

Let them hear your voice
as you celebrate in trance
For they may have been gone
but even the dead can still dance.

-This is inspired by the name of a goth band in the 80s,Dead Can Dance. Also by what I saw on the streets of New Orleans when I was there sometime ago.

Hmm I do tend to get a little..*ahem* in the mornings. Don't blame me for the stand-up comic is still in deep slumber.
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Tue, 09 May 2006 9:11 am

The *ahems* in the morning is a good one, love it :)

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 09 May 2006 9:50 am

Last night, my boyfriend was flying back from Australia. He was due in at 11:30pm and I wasn't sure what airline, didn't have my computer so couldn't check. Anyhow I was at home waiting for him to arrive 1:30am came and went and I was getting slightly worried. Being late at night and having watched far too many aircrash investigations does get you mind wandering. I did have brief fluttering thoughts of what would happen if his plane had crashed and I am all alone in Singapore. Would be very hard to cope I think.

By the way according to him the plane went through all sorts of mechanical problems on take-off, had to land, was delayed then took off a couple of hours later. Upon landing in Sing also seemed to bump and skid around the runway. Well I am glad he is OK, don't know what's up with the QANTAS pilots/planes though.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 09 May 2006 9:58 am

I am surprised there. Would have expected your boy friend to travel on his own.

La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 09 May 2006 10:00 am

Don't try to get cb jealous with a slapper budgie . . .

'nuff said Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 09 May 2006 10:01 am

Oh no, we birds are not migratory you know. Only so much flapping these little wings can do, plus it's easier when someone brings you dinner and you can watch TV.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 09 May 2006 10:44 am

CD congrats on finding a pic of a male budgie!

Such a sad thread :cry: makes me well up a bit. Most of our lives we joke about such things as it is easier to do that than to face the thought of losing someone so close. Just doesn't bear thinking about - type attitude.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 09 May 2006 10:50 am

I don't see any budgie pic? I guess love makes me blind to all other birds :D. Besides a bird of my dignity and beauty would hardly stoop to the level of a budgie- you know those little birds have no morals and will do just about anything!!! -literally-