Singapore Expats Forum

Jet Lag Remedies

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Jet Lag Remedies

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:51 pm

I have to admit, I'm usually pretty good at this. But I woke at 3:19 this morning and I have been in a major fog ever since. This accounts for most of the typos. We have dinner reservations at 8 with lovely people. So let's hear it all you seasoned travellers -- what are your rememdies??

(P.S. I love, (LOVE!) to jetlag at our place in the US. The sun comes up at 4:30 and it is spectacular. I roam around the house with my giant coffee and touch all my things and look out the window and cry a little. I love it).

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Jet Lag Remedies

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 06 May 2006 6:04 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I have to admit, I'm usually pretty good at this. But I woke at 3:19 this morning and I have been in a major fog ever since. This accounts for most of the typos. We have dinner reservations at 8 with lovely people. So let's hear it all you seasoned travellers -- what are your rememdies??

(P.S. I love, (LOVE!) to jetlag at our place in the US. The sun comes up at 4:30 and it is spectacular. I roam around the house with my giant coffee and touch all my things and look out the window and cry a little. I love it).

You could try to stop being nasty to me

I have a 100% fool-proof, 100% reliable method . . . . it's:

'nuff said Image

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Sat, 06 May 2006 6:09 pm

Recovering as well MHB, also up at a sparrow's fart this morning!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Jet Lag Remedies

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 6:11 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I have to admit, I'm usually pretty good at this. But I woke at 3:19 this morning and I have been in a major fog ever since. This accounts for most of the typos. We have dinner reservations at 8 with lovely people. So let's hear it all you seasoned travellers -- what are your rememdies??

You could try to stop being nasty to me

I have a 100% fool-proof, 100% reliable method . . . . it's:

Aw c'mon, help a girl out. I'm dying here.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 06 May 2006 7:00 pm

I could tell you . . . ok, seeing as you are so nice.

солнца одного дня и поплавать идут

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 7:05 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I could tell you . . . ok, seeing as you are so nice.

Who are you supposed to be John Nash? Well you don't look like Russell Crowe and I am no Jennifer Connelly! :x

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 May 2006 7:29 pm

the suns of one day and to have a swim go :???:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 07 May 2006 12:23 am

you could look at what I've posted recently about insomnia or quite a while ago on sleep aids

or I suppose I could tell you now

thought I had insomnia recently, but actually it was just extended jet lag, believe it or not, over a month after returning from the States

so the usual 1/2 day difference thing we have to deal with just never ended, and I was getting worried, falling asleep at 6am when I had to be at work at 9, not able to make it through the day, then would come home for a nap at lunch time, and so the vicious circle worsened, for over a month

I had no trouble sleeping, just at the wrong times, but a lot of trouble either waking up, or, staying alseep and I ended up being tired all of the time, many days getting just 1-2 hours sleep - down at 1am, wide awake at 3:00am

I tried a lot of things, including OTC aids I bought from the States, two different things I was prescribed here, and homepathic stuff

I was in such a daze some days from the meds and/or the wacked out sleep patterns that I was pretty useless at work

it was really tough turning this battleship around but I'm finally back to regular hours and feel much better

in the end, Sleepytime Tea and Advil, staying away from the bed until sleep, no watching movies on my laptop, avoiding reading sometimes half a book when I would normally read 2-3 pages before dropping off, etc, is what finally helped put me down at night

the Advil (ibuprofen for the rest) is pretty tough on your stomach though, and two days or more in a row takes a toll

you can use a sublingual 1mg melatonin, but it's not very reliable or even useful most of the time, but it can help - I know you know these are not drugs but natural substances produced by the body

that's some of what I've learned and it's always been an area of interest for me, see GC's and my thread on this and our quest for the Holy Tryptophan, or, PM me, would be happy to help

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 07 May 2006 9:06 am

Hi Mary

I read somewhere, recently, about Melatonin and jet lag. Apparently it's quite a reliable solution to the problem. I won't quote here as I am not sure of the facts....but looked this link up, but I suggest you look further as well....

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0970.html
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 07 May 2006 9:13 am

Thanks EADG and Bubbs.

I'm a big believer in Melatonin and buy a big supply in the US when I am there as it is 1/3 the cost. I think it was particularly bad this time because I was there and back in just a few days.

Last night was better, stayed up till almost midnight.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 07 May 2006 11:29 am

sounds like I should be asking you

interesting, I've had more negative than positive experiences with Melatonin, like being a zombie the next day

before starting his 1996 Tokyo Town Hall, Morgan Stanley president John Mack "thanked" a close friend for recommending Melatonin for that visit, and apologized for not having his head screwed on strait during that speech - he was visibly annoyed

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 07 May 2006 12:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Almost; expose yourself to the sun and have a swim - - - helps me just a little bit.
melatonin has never done th3e job for me.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 May 2006 12:24 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Almost; expose yourself to the sun and have a swim - - - helps me just a little bit.
melatonin has never done th3e job for me.

V,

I put your ascii into an ascii to alphabet generator and it gave me russian cryllic text so I copied the cryllic into Babelfish! OI, so much trouble you!
:wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 07 May 2006 12:40 pm

You have too much time on your hands, SMS - but full marks for making the effort! Clever man, you are indeed! =D>

'nuff said Image