Singapore Expats Forum

Nail clipping.....just a quickie.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Nail clipping.....just a quickie.

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:15 pm

OK, sorry about this daft subject, only cat owners pls.....

Can I cut a cat's nails myself? She's a stray and lovely, but her nails are so long? Don't want to take to vets as it'll cost quite a lot, and she may just disappear....but she comes in here, and scratches my stuff, and I've just bought a new settee etc.

What should I use, and I think I have to be careful with the red vein in the nail, is that correct?

Or should I just leave it and buy a scratching pole, or something?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:21 pm

Bubbs, I have been a cat owner for most of my life. I have never trimmed their nails but I know the guy at the pet store where we got one of my latest additions did (and gave her a bath, something else I have never done).

I don't think shorter nails will keep the cat from scratching, perhaps some behavior modification? A spray bottle with water in it kept handy for when they misbehave?

I think you are right about the red vien, the quick. If you cut it once however -- look out. May be you can get a groomer to come to the house?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:21 pm

I remember you asking this one before Bubbles BG can advise you as he has long standing relationship with his cat.

Plavt.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Nail clipping.....just a quickie.

Postby Kats_ » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:22 pm

My owner got me a scratching pole ....and I stopped hanging on the curtains!

There is this ocassional nail clipper that comes my way and surprises me.....but I wouldnt let more than one toenail at a time!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:25 pm

Takes one to know one...

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:28 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Takes one to know one...

:D :P

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:29 pm

Yes Plavt, I've asked before and it's only now I've had the courage to really think about doing something as she's a skittish little thing and I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks Mary, yes, behaviour modification, a la spray bottle, could be an idea. Do you think she'll grow to dislike me if I do that though? I'm such a softie and love animals....(though not the woodlice that are marching over my carpet at the moment here in the UK, what is with that? And ants....don't talk to me about ants)

See, off the subject in two ticks.....my mind, I'm losing it....lol...

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:30 pm

This is the easy way for cats:

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:38 pm

Vaucluse wrote:This is the easy way for cats:

Don't go messing up our fun Vaucluse. My kittens are so delightful I can't stand it. Stop being a bully or I'll flood your inbox with photographs of mon petit chats and put you on the mialing list of every Cat Fanciers mailing list the world over.

Bubbs, perhaps you'll both learn some healthy respect. Its good to set limits and all that, you know the drill. Treat her as kindly as possible when you are not administering the water torture.
Last edited by Mary Hatch Bailey on Sat, 06 May 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:42 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:This is the easy way for cats:

Don't go messing up our fun Vaucluse. My kittens are so delightful I can't stand it. Stop being a bully or I'll flood your inbox with photographs of mon petot chats and put you on the mialing list of every Cat Fanciers mailing list the world over.

Bubbs, perhaps you'll both learn some healthy respect. Its good to set limits and all that, you know the drill. Treat her as kindly as possible when you are not administering the water torture.

You see! that new guy was right about you - you're nothing but a dominatrix, or whatever term he used . . .

SMS, I feel bullied by Mary

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:45 pm

Vaucluse wrote:SMS, I feel bullied by Mary

That's a pretty big group. You guys should get together, drink coffee and eat donuts, maybe wear matching jackets...

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:48 pm

Bubbles wrote:Yes Plavt, I've asked before and it's only now I've had the courage to really think about doing something as she's a skittish little thing and I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks Mary, yes, behaviour modification, a la spray bottle, could be an idea. Do you think she'll grow to dislike me if I do that though? I'm such a softie and love animals....(though not the woodlice that are marching over my carpet at the moment here in the UK, what is with that? And ants....don't talk to me about ants)

See, off the subject in two ticks.....my mind, I'm losing it....lol...

Just one other thing I thought of Bubbles which could be of some use some other time. Have in look in the Argos catalogues they sell 'cat posts' inpregnated with cat-nip to encourage the cat to claw at it. Don't know if they still sell them and not sure what it achieves since I don't own a cat myself but maybe you care to have a look. Hope this is some use.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:52 pm

Couldn't resist guys, just couldn't resist.....

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 06 May 2006 5:57 pm

Bubbs is officially my new hero

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 06 May 2006 6:02 pm

Bubbles wrote:Couldn't resist guys, just couldn't resist.....

:lol: :lol:

Now, if I only were short, fat and bald . . . . instead of tall, trim with a full head of hair . . . No-one will believe me, though, so I will post my real picture:

'nuff said Image