Singapore Expats Forum

Cheaters win?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Cheaters win?

Postby serendipity » Thu, 04 May 2006 11:23 pm

Here's an article from Fox News I actually almost completely agree with. :mrgreen:

The recent plagiarism scandal surrounding Harvard sophomore Kaavya Viswanathan's book is yet another symptom of the "me, me, me" mentality that too many young people have adopted as religion.

Viswanathan has been under fire since the Harvard Crimson newspaper reported similarities between her book, "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life," (Little, Brown) and Megan McCafferty's "Sloppy Firsts" and "Second Helpings" (Crown Publishing).

All three novels are aimed at young adults.

Viswanathan appeared on the "Today" show and stated that the similarities were unintentional, saying "When I was writing, I genuinely believed each word was my own."

Crown publisher Steve Ross said in a statement that the apology was "troubling and disingenuous."

That is an understatement.

You see, apparently it wasn't good enough that Viswanathan received a reported $500,000 advance for two books from her publisher, and a movie deal with Dreamworks for her tome. It's not enough that she attends Harvard, one of this country's most prestigious universities. It wasn't enough for her to be considered by many as some kind of literary prodigy.

What now? Will the 19-year-old say that the pressure to live up to such early success caused her to plagiarize another author? Probably. She has already shifted blame to her subconscious, saying on "Today" that when she read McCafferty's books in high school, they "spoke to me in a way that few others had."

Never mind that she told the Newark Star Ledger in a recent interview that "nothing I read gave me the inspiration."

I guess it's McCafferty's own fault that her novels were plagiarized. After all, if her words hadn't spoken to Viswanathan so profoundly, she might not have been ripped off.

But this is just another example of how people these days are only concerned about looking good, instead of being good.

It looked good for Ashlee Simpson to be a pop singer on MTV, but when it came to a live performance on "Saturday Night Live," she had to fake it by using a backup voice track. After the track was played in a snafu, first she blamed the band and then she blamed acid reflux.

Author James Frey of "A Million Little Pieces" infamy didn't plagiarize, he just made stuff up.

Frey must have taken a page out of the Jayson Blair Style Guide. He of New York Times infamy made up descriptions of places he'd never seen in order to file some of the paper's front page domestic news stories -- from his apartment.

What is really sad about this situation is that Viswanathan will get to keep the money she's made from her book. She'll get to keep the money from Dreamworks whether they make the movie or not, and most likely they will, since the project has a built-in publicity machine now.

And why not?

After all, Ashlee Simpson keeps "singing," "A Million Little Pieces" keeps selling, Barry Bonds keeps hitting home runs despite being clouded in a steroids controversy, Paris Hilton became a household name after a sex tape was plastered all over the Internet, Pete Rose never admitted he gambled on baseball until he had a book to sell, President Clinton "did not have sexual relations with that woman," "Lost" star Michelle Rodriguez chooses five days in jail over 200 hours of community service for her DUI conviction, Jayson Blair got a book deal after he was fired, and, and, and.

Viswanathan will learn a lesson from this, but the lesson she'll learn is any publicity is good publicity, and the more controversy surrounding her, the more money she'll make.

Fox News

Sure, she'll probably be sued by the author she plagiarized but looking at other famous cheaters, it seems that "any publicity is good publicity" and cheaters end up winning either way?!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 05 May 2006 6:08 am

So is it that our standards have slipped so low that we get exactly what we deserve?

That we are so busy chasing dollars that we haven't had time to parent the next generation?

That the media brings this all into finer focus, but it was always there?

I don't disagree that the fabric of American society is, in spots, thread bare -- but I don't think its about to unravel altogether.

There have been cheaters for as long as there have been people. They found plaster weights in Pompeii and fake marble pillars in 1906 after the San Francisco earthquake.

Fox News likes to crusade against the flood of immoralality, enrapturing fundamentalists and bible-belters and middle America with stories like this that pander to their worst fears.

But I wonder, if an independent poll was taken and we could get rid of Bush and have Clinton back, what the result might be...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:10 am

It's all about looking good, not being good.

Just have a peek at the beauty section and you will subscribe to that indeed.

Thank God there are still good people though... :)

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:14 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
It's all about looking good, not being good.

Just have a peek at the beauty section and you will subscribe to that indeed.

Thank God there are still good people though... :)

Eric

It's not really fair to asume that people who are vain and obsessed with their looks are not capable of goodness, or is it?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:20 am

Well, I am still waiting for a thread on internal beauty! :D

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:27 am

If you post it, they will come...

Damn! why is it so small?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:34 am

Kevin Costner?

Eeks... please... smaller!

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:40 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Kevin Costner?

Eeks... please... smaller!

Eric

How do you know?

Ahem, I believe if you're so obsessed with your looks that it does take away from your personality, pretending to be someone you're not.

I'd still like to hear from parents of these women, and their view on how their children don't like their genes, i.e. their genetic make-up.
Newest one that wants bigger lips, at the age of 19.
'Oldest' one that is compalining because she is 'so old' at 31.

Fruits, the lot of them.

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:44 am

I foresee that thread will end up with ladies giving eachother advice on euthanasia...

Eric

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 05 May 2006 9:55 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:I foresee that thread will end up with ladies giving eachother advice on euthanasia...

Eric

:-| it would be funny if it weren't true:

"Aiyoh, my mudder, she so troublesome, lor. Enuf orredy - dis doc in Thailand, Dr. Ko, he spose to b gud, lah. His office over 7/11 on Ratchada, only 5000baht somemore. Give guarantee, wah!"

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:05 am

Vaucluse wrote:

"Aiyoh, my mudder, she so troublesome, lor. Enuf orredy - dis doc in Thailand, Dr. Ko, he spose to b gud, lah. His office over 7/11 on Ratchada, only 5000baht somemore. Give guarantee, wah!"

:lol:

Wah V, dun like dat wan! Wait hor God will punish you leh. Then how?

Vaucluse, I see your time in Singapore has not come to naught and you've mastered the finer nuances of Singlish! You crack me up and as Martha would say, "That's a good thing."
One man's meat is another's poison.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:15 am

Thank you, GC - most kind. Not so bad yourself, there - how's the Jamaican coming along? All fruits ripe or too many bloodclots on the island?

A niece of my wife's lives with us - she is 16 and goes to school here. After just these two short years she has changed from a Kiwi accent to the above . . . :roll:

'nuff said Image

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:21 am

I am responding to OP. Hi Serenditpity, I finally bring your thread back in track :wave: .

Why am I not surprise she graduated from Havard? I also learnt about a case about a guy who got into MIT postgraduate program via a very devious mean. A guy who is very persuasive with his words (plus other tricks he pull) and make very impressive speeches to the college professors responsible for admission. While this guy is enjoying a monthly stipend for his postgraduate program, there are those who get fleeced for playing it by the rule. My friend attended Stanford U and has to pay 20-30 % higher fees as he is attached to Japanese Corporate sponsorship. Don’t understand why the Japanese are willing to pay premium for American things :roll: . Why don’t they protest? That’s my beef with American culture. People who are very eloquent are overprized while the quiet types (but solid performers) may get overlooked. And the squeaky wheels get the attention.

I found out, late in life, that if a person is intent on cheating, he will usually find a way to do it. No system is foolproof.

I don’t see it as “winning”

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:23 am

earthfriendly wrote:This can also be seen right here at Silicon Valley when the stakes are high. I do not enjoy working and living in vulture-like environment. Can’t wait to leave the area.

OI! :mad:

'nuff said Image

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:25 am

Naughty vauclause ! Are we instant messenging or what they call SMS?