Beer and more beer....

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 11:18 am

No Boders,

Not offended in the least! You have to remember though that you are in Singapore and as an EXPAT at least 90% of my day to day expenses are covered i.e. housing, living allowance, taxes, utilities, trasportation etc etc, the only thing that a good chuck of true EXPATS here in Singapore will actually pay for is Booze, Smokes and Meals (when it is not company expensed). Therefore, there are a lot of us who do not think twice about paying $10-$20 a drink, because at the end of the day, if you want to drink in a particular pub or bar or restaurant, you are going to drink in that particular bar, pub or restaurant. Price should not be an issue and I do find it a very Singaporean thing (and NO offence intended here, just an observation) that they are always looking for the cheapest deal or a free prize or free parking for the $200,000 Merc. I have personally been to a Hawker Center only a hand full of time during the past few years, as I personally prefer quality pubs or restaurants to sitting outside sweating away like a beast despite the great food.

So I may be way wrong here, but this being an Expat Forum, I will stick to my comments that Brewerkz to me serves the cheapest and best beer and food in an Expat setting. Compare it to the other "westernized" restaurants bars etc and I think it is the ebst bang for your buck! So I'm going to assume that the westernized restaurants bars etc are not in your budget (and fair enough), enjoy the Hawker Centres because that is where you are going to get the cheapest beer aside from buying it at the grocery store and drinking at home to save a buck.

Good Luck on your search! And let us all know if you find somewhere, I would love to check it out! All this typing has made me thirsty....feel like a beer!

User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1642
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:13 pm

Barczar wrote:... as an EXPAT at least 90% of my day to day expenses are covered i.e. housing, living allowance, taxes, utilities, trasportation etc etc, the only thing that a good chuck of true EXPATS here in Singapore will actually pay for is Booze, Smokes and Meals (when it is not company expensed)...
you speak for yourself here...

I did not know I was a FAKE expat...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:22 pm

Fair Enough...Then i speak for myself...

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:27 pm

Barczar wrote:No Boders,

Not offended in the least! You have to remember though that you are in Singapore and as an EXPAT at least 90% of my day to day expenses are covered i.e. housing, living allowance, taxes, utilities, trasportation etc etc, the only thing that a good chuck of true EXPATS here in Singapore will actually pay for is Booze, Smokes and Meals (when it is not company expensed). Therefore, there are a lot of us who do not think twice about paying $10-$20 a drink, because at the end of the day, if you want to drink in a particular pub or bar or restaurant, you are going to drink in that particular bar, pub or restaurant. Price should not be an issue and I do find it a very Singaporean thing (and NO offence intended here, just an observation) that they are always looking for the cheapest deal or a free prize or free parking for the $200,000 Merc. I have personally been to a Hawker Center only a hand full of time during the past few years, as I personally prefer quality pubs or restaurants to sitting outside sweating away like a beast despite the great food.

So I may be way wrong here, but this being an Expat Forum, I will stick to my comments that Brewerkz to me serves the cheapest and best beer and food in an Expat setting. Compare it to the other "westernized" restaurants bars etc and I think it is the ebst bang for your buck! So I'm going to assume that the westernized restaurants bars etc are not in your budget (and fair enough), enjoy the Hawker Centres because that is where you are going to get the cheapest beer aside from buying it at the grocery store and drinking at home to save a buck.

Good Luck on your search! And let us all know if you find somewhere, I would love to check it out! All this typing has made me thirsty....feel like a beer!
Barczar,

You can say 'no offence' over and over but please understand -- many of us will be offended since your post is entirely offensive. I can only guess that you are American in that you have obvious entitlement issues. Reading your post makes me throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

MHB

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:42 am

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:34 pm

Barczar wrote:No Boders,

Not offended in the least! You have to remember though that you are in Singapore and as an EXPAT at least 90% of my day to day expenses are covered i.e. housing, living allowance, taxes, utilities, trasportation etc etc, the only thing that a good chuck of true EXPATS here in Singapore will actually pay for is Booze, Smokes and Meals (when it is not company expensed). Therefore, there are a lot of us who do not think twice about paying $10-$20 a drink, because at the end of the day, if you want to drink in a particular pub or bar or restaurant, you are going to drink in that particular bar, pub or restaurant. Price should not be an issue and I do find it a very Singaporean thing (and NO offence intended here, just an observation) that they are always looking for the cheapest deal or a free prize or free parking for the $200,000 Merc. I have personally been to a Hawker Center only a hand full of time during the past few years, as I personally prefer quality pubs or restaurants to sitting outside sweating away like a beast despite the great food.

So I may be way wrong here, but this being an Expat Forum, I will stick to my comments that Brewerkz to me serves the cheapest and best beer and food in an Expat setting. Compare it to the other "westernized" restaurants bars etc and I think it is the ebst bang for your buck! So I'm going to assume that the westernized restaurants bars etc are not in your budget (and fair enough), enjoy the Hawker Centres because that is where you are going to get the cheapest beer aside from buying it at the grocery store and drinking at home to save a buck.

Good Luck on your search! And let us all know if you find somewhere, I would love to check it out! All this typing has made me thirsty....feel like a beer!
If money is no issue, but quality is, then how can Brewerkz be the choice? Fast food joint, no more no less.

Yes, they do have a selection of beers, but the food is awful. One can discuss quite a few places, but to say brewerkz has the food is like saying the best American food is at Mc Donalds.

And it's (limited choice of) beers are still overpriced.

If there wouldnot be alternatives, fine, but there are plenty of alternatives. I won't repeat myself, but I think quite a few here have mentioned where to find it.

Eric

User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:35 pm

No offence intended...there is a very big group of us here in Singapore who are in a similar situation as me (Think Oil and Gas Industry). If you are taking offence to anything i say and are "Throwing up in your throat a little bit" you should probably lay of the rice and Tiger beer for a while and try to relax! Nothing in my post was intended as offensive, observant yes, offensive no. As for the obviously I'm American comment...come on do we really want to go there?? BTW - Not American but thanks for assuming I am one when I'm being "offensive"...nice stereotype there!

Enjoy the Hawker Centres!

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:43 pm

Barczar wrote:No offence intended...there is a very big group of us here in Singapore who are in a similar situation as me (Think Oil and Gas Industry).
Pathetic. :-|

User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:45 pm

Eric,

Agree with your comment there. No Borders specifically requested a place for cheap beer and good food. Now I have posted what I regarded as being the cheap and good alternative for beer and food. And I get bombarded with it's too expensive and it's crap comments (both posted and PM'd) Now, If money is no issue where to go for a drink is an entirely different line of thought. I'm personally more off an Irish Pub Muddy Murphy type guy and enjoy a few down at Far East Square or Boat Quay, but those pubs, bars etc are NOT what I consider to be cheap beer in a comfortable setting, that is a little more on the high end...but you get what you pay for at the end of the day...

I'd actually like to hear from others where there are some other good cheap beer joints around so next time I can comment that I know of two places...now I know of oosters and am going to check it out!?...

User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:50 pm

MHB,

Pathetic that there are a bunch of Oil and Gas Industry people in Singapore that have their accomodation, trasportation, taxes sustinence etc paid for? Doesn't make me better or worse or anything, it's just the situation...should we all apologise? nice!!

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:53 pm

I happen to be in exactly the same situation you schmuck! Stop saying 'no offence' as your mantra and try a little tact.

User avatar
Barczar
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Barczar » Thu, 04 May 2006 12:56 pm

A little tact?...and you with the personal assault...nice!

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 1:21 pm

Here's the thing: you can say I have launched a personal attack, fine. You are in good company.

But please realize that there is no such thing as a typical expat. Your comments make the assumption that as an 'expat' you can afford $10 - $20/drinks because everything else is covered. That puts you (and me) in the vast minority among expats .

No one likes to hear a lot of boastful comments on how good you've got it. Or, for that matter -- sweeping, inaccurate generalizations of expatriates living in Singapore.

User avatar
tiki
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 3:47 pm
Location: third guy from the left
Contact:

Post by tiki » Thu, 04 May 2006 1:25 pm

Hmmmm....

Brewerkz is that McDonald's for adults? Just before you graduate to real food?

..I came from the E&P industry.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 04 May 2006 1:31 pm

tiki wrote:Hmmmm....

Brewerkz is that McDonald's for adults? Just before you graduate to real food?

..I came from the E&P industry.
Hi Tiki,

Eric was referring only to the food, not the beer selection if that makes any difference.

Did I ever tell you we had a dog named Tiki? An ornery, old, stray, half-blind pekenese my brother found wandering in the middle of the boston post road.

Damn if he didn't hang on another 5 years just to spite us.

Don't you all think it's time to start homebrewing? It's legal in Singapore now and you can buy the kit in a few different spots. I saw it at Paris Silk. May be I'll bring home some seeds for hops when I go on home leave?? :-k

User avatar
tiki
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 3:47 pm
Location: third guy from the left
Contact:

Post by tiki » Thu, 04 May 2006 2:47 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
tiki wrote:Hmmmm....

Brewerkz is that McDonald's for adults? Just before you graduate to real food?

..I came from the E&P industry.
Hi Tiki,

Eric was referring only to the food, not the beer selection if that makes any difference.

Did I ever tell you we had a dog named Tiki? An ornery, old, stray, half-blind pekenese my brother found wandering in the middle of the boston post road.

Damn if he didn't hang on another 5 years just to spite us.

Don't you all think it's time to start homebrewing? It's legal in Singapore now and you can buy the kit in a few different spots. I saw it at Paris Silk. May be I'll bring home some seeds for hops when I go on home leave?? :-k
aaaaaaah MHB....

you're talking about the good old prohibition days :wink:

Moonshine.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest