Singapore Expats Forum

Health Insurance Needed

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
pandaman

Health Insurance Needed

Postby pandaman » Wed, 03 May 2006 8:37 am

We are Chinese. My husband is relocating to singapore and we will arrive in singapore in June. But my husband will be a visiting scholar in a U.S. university next year. We are planning to have our baby born in October 2007 (It's good to have a Pig child according to Chinese belief). I am not pregnant now. I need a health insurance including maternity insurance which can be used when I am in U.S.A. I would be very appreciated if someone can recomend me a good comprehensive insurance. Please contact me at pandaman2000@hotmail.com

Thank you!

pandaman

Postby pandaman » Fri, 05 May 2006 2:24 am

Both of us got Ph.D from a Top U.S. University. It seems that we can not use student insurance this time.

I have a question regarding the maternity insurance. What does waiting period mean? Does that mean you have to wait to be pregnant after you hold the insurance for more than 6 months? Or you can be pregnant right after you get the insurance but you need to wait 6 months to make claim? Thanks

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Health Insurance Needed

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:51 am

pandaman wrote:. We are planning to have our baby born in October 2007 (It's good to have a Pig child according to Chinese belief). I am not pregnant now. I need a health insurance including maternity insurance which can be used when I am in U.S.A. I would be very appreciated if someone can recomend me a good comprehensive insurance. Please contact me at pandaman2000@hotmail.com

Thank you!

A human baby would probably attarct less stares when walking down Orchard Road. Boom Boom.

Now, most, if not all, insurance companies require a certain period before certain occasions are covered.
Kind of makes sense.
Want to have dental work done? Get insurance, pay the first instalment and get work done.
Want to have a baby? Get insurance after conception . . .

etc . . .

'nuff said Image

pandaman

Postby pandaman » Fri, 05 May 2006 11:28 pm

We have health insurance. It's local one. People in the place where we live don't buy health insurance by themselves. You are automatically covered if you get a job. Something like government issued health insurance. It can not used outside.

msekree

Postby msekree » Thu, 11 May 2006 4:55 pm

The waiting period is the period of time between when the cover comes into force (when you start paying for it) and the time it starts covering you for that specific event.

Aviva's medical insurance has a 10 month waiting period for pregnancy and is the lowest I know of. This means you could take out the cover, get pregnant a month or two later and by the time of the birth you would be covered. It must be noted that should anything happen regarding the pregnancy before the 10 months is up it would not be covered.

Let me know if you want more details- I'm a financial adviser and can arrange this policy for you.