Pie, Mash and Jellied Eels.........

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Marita

Pie, Mash and Jellied Eels.........

Post by Marita » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 3:27 pm

May 13th, the Hammers will be playing in their first FA cup final since 1980, and my husband is so excited he has invited everyone round to our house for some pie, mash and jellied eels, and a few dozen cans of beer, to watch the game.

Now, pie and mash I can just about manage. But where on earth do I find jellied eels in Singapore? Not to mention liquor.

Can anyone help?

wirby

Post by wirby » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:30 pm

Hi there, I dont live in singapore so I cant help you with the jellied eels but I believe that the Liquor is very easy to make.
There are several recipies if you search the web, for example there is one here http://www.hub-uk.com/foodpages36/1797.htm that tells you how to make it
25 Gram Butter (1 oz)
25 Gram Plain flour (1 oz)
300 ml Water (10 fl oz)
4 Tablespoon Chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Teaspoon Malt vinegar, optional

Hope this helps :D
Wirby

Marita

Post by Marita » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 9:56 am

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

I thought they used the juice from the eels though? Thats what gives it that unique disgusting taste and texture?

Mind you, there aren't many Eastenders coming to watch the footie, mainly Aussies and New Zealanders, so I guess I shouldn't scare them with the real McCoy. I might even use real minced beef instead of cat food in the pies, which is what I believe they use in Walthamstow.

:D

wirby

Post by wirby » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 3:47 pm

I never knew that, :lol: , I had my fair share of pie and mash from Walthamstow......I thought it tasted different :wink:
Wirby

Marita

Post by Marita » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:31 am

actually, I don't think its really cat food. Its much much worse than that!

Are you a londoner then?

wirby

Post by wirby » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 3:47 am

Well yeah you could say that, but Im currently living in France, but very soon will be moving to Singapore :D Are you a Londoner?
Wirby

Marita

Post by Marita » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 8:46 am

I am. Well, just about. East London.

Although just before moving here we lived in deepest darkest Essex.

When are you coming to the Sauna?

wirby

Post by wirby » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 3:28 pm

Possibly by the end of June. I have lived in Essex too, Waltham Abbey - not sure if you have heard of it, then before moving to France I was living in Norwich....
Wirby

Marita

Post by Marita » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 3:46 pm

Yes, of course. There is a pub close to the M25 exit, I think its the Volunteer? Used to do excellent chinese food.

I lived in Loughton for about 5 years. Mainly lived in South Woodford, then near Braintree just before we came out here. Ooh, and mustn't forget my stint in Walthamstow!

My mother-in-law lives near Norwich.

Small world!

Good luck with the move - where in France are you living?

wirby

Post by wirby » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah definately is a small world. I live about 20 Minutes from Grenoble, its in the south east of France, right up in the mountains :D
Wirby

Marita

Post by Marita » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 4:07 pm

Blimey - Singapore may be a bit of a shock to your system then. You'll be replacing fresh mountain air with humid smog, green mountains with concrete towers, and musical French for squarky Singlish - lah!

But its not all bad. And the food is fabulous (which may be why you can't get jellied eels here............?)

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Tue, 02 May 2006 1:56 pm

I know you said you have the pies sorted, I hope you have got Big Ben's pies to deliver - they sell the best english pies I have had here in Singapore.

steak & Kidney, irish stew, chicken & mushroom - lovely stuff :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Marita

Post by Marita » Tue, 02 May 2006 2:06 pm

Aw thanks mate - but in the East End, you can only buy one type of pie in a pie and mash shop. There is no choice or variety, its just a "meat" pie (they say its minced beef, but that is questionable.........) so I'm going to be making my own pies.

I now also have the recipe for jellied eels and liquor, so I'll be making those too.

And of course, we can't miss out the other great East End dish - chicken madras!

Am quite looking forward to it now - got my footie kit all ready, including my knee length white socks (sexy!) . All we have to do now is some how make sure all the key Liverpool players are out of action on 13 May, so the Hammers can walk away with the cup!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Tue, 02 May 2006 3:39 pm

May I suggest some bubble mix as well, so you can sing "i'm forever blowing bubbles" while blowing some :D Just make sure it doesn't get in the food :o
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Marita

Post by Marita » Tue, 02 May 2006 4:27 pm

:D Thats an excellent idea!

And we'll have to make sure we sing louder than the northerners singing "we'll never walk alone"