Singapore Expats Forum

Music with an Indo (Indian) fusion beat

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Music with an Indo (Indian) fusion beat

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 9:12 am

I'm looking for Cds with an Indian fusion beat or Middle Eastern even, something like a mix of East and West and hoping for some recommendations and suggestions here.

An example of music that conveys some of this would be the Buddha Bar Series with DJ Ravin, Thievery Corporation, Nitin Sawhney, Govinda etc.

I have surfed and own quite a few CDs but nothing like a personal recommendation or a nudge in the right direction and would appreciate some of your recommendations.

Thanks.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:06 pm

Not really my area I have to say, I know you said you have surfed but have you tried Amazon & searching for a group you mentioned & see what other people who bought that album have bought, type thing & then listen to the samples?

Failing that try www.pandora.com - tell it what you like & based on that will play some new stuff for you as well as the stuff you like within that genre

It is excellent, highly recommend it :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks BG.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:50 pm

That.. or you may like to try listening to live365.com (an internet radio thingy) but when they play the songs, its being mentioned the title and the artists ... one example of the various channels is Asian Vibration - http://www.live365.com/stations/desig007

and there are other channels of music where you can pick from... :)

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:57 pm

Shukriya Maddie. Tum bahut acchie ladki hai.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 1:03 pm

Koi baat nahi yaar :) I do what I can to help... in my madwolfie way :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 1:07 pm

Global Citizen wrote: Tum bahut acchie ladki hai.

You're Scottish?

You've piqued my interest in this genre, I'll check it out too. If I find any place or locale, I'll pass it on.

'nuff said Image

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 1:35 pm

Hey GC,

Try this...

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/6/s/artist.341/

It is a fusion of Ganesh Kumaresh's & Taufiq Qureshi's. My all time fav. (Might not fit what you are looking for exactly but there...)

Also, you can check the side menu for several others to suit what you are looking for.

I had some good links that had African beats fused with Indian music....have to dig in ...no longer seem to be in my favorites. More later if I can find em.

And yes as I second Baron Greenbacks's www.pandora.com recommendation!

and it is 'Tum bahut achi (ladki) ho' :P :D

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 3:18 pm

GC,
Hope you will excuse my ignorance of that type of music but is this any thing like what you may be looking for;

http://search.ebay.co.uk/Indian-fusion-CDs_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQssPageNameZRC0021

Plavt.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 8:20 pm

Mosey down to Little India and select any of the many CD shops there. Pick CDs at random ($2-3/CD) based on how scantily clad the cover babes are. (Rules of thumb: the less clothes they wear, the worse the music, and the more greasy-haired guys posing, the more old-fashioned the style.) Bring home and enjoy -- many of them will be crap but you'll find a few gems among the doss.

FWIW, Talvin Singh is probably my favorite in the fusion category, but you probably can't find in him in the bargain bin section.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:17 pm

jpatokal wrote:Mosey down to Little India and select any of the many CD shops there.

She'll have a job living in Canada.

Plavt.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:21 pm

If there's a Chinatown in Canada, you reckon there might be a Little India?
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:05 am

madwolfie wrote:That.. or you may like to try listening to live365.com (an internet radio thingy)[/url]
and there are other channels of music where you can pick from... :)

as BG recommended Pandora is pretty cool

I used Live365 constantly in Japan but here the connection is never strong and drops all the time, but maybe it's my ISP - but I learned about most of the newer music I listen to from L365

sorry I can't be of much use, I like that stuff too but just buy pirate CDs when in Phuket to collect that kind of thing

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:34 am

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful help and suggestions. I'll be trying out all the links suggested.

The last time I was back home in Singapore, I went to That CD shop in Tanglin Mall, and they had an amazing variety of music like this and this female shop assistant was really helpful. (in fact I probably ended up buying more than I intended because she was so forthcoming with suggestions) Asia Lounge, Tantra Lounge and Indianisms are some that come to mind, but they were expensive. So if anyone knows of some other loopholes for cheaper buys, I'm planning to go back to Sin late September, early Oct. (keeping my fingers crossed that my plan stays put)

JP: Talvin Singh is pretty good, I agree.

Kats: My bad, my Hindi isn't that great :oops: but my Punjabi's better, I swear! Are you Indian too?

Keep the suggestions coming if you hear or think of something else.
Last edited by Global Citizen on Thu, 27 Apr 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 7:20 am

Hey GC,

I was trying to get that link I was speaking about but in vain. Anyways, it isnt what you were asking for at all but have ever heard of Chutney music; it is such a fusion (of Caribbean and Indian film songs) and just different.

I have some pleasant memories associated to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutney_music

Was just teasing you ...by correcting that statement. Yes I am Indian :D
[/img]