Singapore Expats Forum

Random Musings, best avoid at all costs.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Random Musings, best avoid at all costs.

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 8:01 pm

What is it with rock drummers anyway? Why do they never last?

Why do people never like their own hair?

Is it fair I've developed a zit dead center in the bottom of my lower lip??

If I'm born in 1963 do I still need to be considered a baby boomer? How lame is that? 18 years after the war was over ? Is that really an influence in my parent's sex drive?

Will I ever regret my decision to boycott Crocs?

What does it say about a person (me!) who hates to bait the hook but always has live nightcrawlers in the fridge all summer and loves to fish?

How many pet dogs is too many dogs?

Does anyone else picture Bubbles living in a little den in a hollow tree like Mrs. Tittlemouse?

I like a ice cold oaky chardonnay in a big red wine galss. Don't care how out -of-fashion that is.

I envy Heather Locklear on a visceral level.

I'm not sure I'm hard-wired for opera.

SAT question. Poetry is to communication as walking is to ______________.

I believe everyone should watch one of the Godfather movies at least once a year and read a pulitzer prize/booker/pen Faulkner award winning novel once a month.

As a parent, the best you can do is to be present for your children: love them and give them the confidence and the tools to build their own futures. Hugging them with great regularity and telling them they are gorgeous is also a very good thing.

When people start talking about taxes my eyes roll back in my head.

Oh there is so much more, but the hourglass on this day is running out. :wink:

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Re: Random Musings, best avoid at all costs.

Postby Bremen » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 9:22 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:What is it with rock drummers anyway? Why do they never last?


Lars Ulrich forever! ;)

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Why do people never like their own hair?


Because it never stays put.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Is it fair I've developed a zit dead center in the bottom of my lower lip??


You and me both. Annoying, but Povidone-Iodine does wonders.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:If I'm born in 1963 do I still need to be considered a baby boomer? How lame is that? 18 years after the war was over ? Is that really an influence in my parent's sex drive?


Hey, at least they still had a sex drive.


Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Will I ever regret my decision to boycott Crocs?


Naaah.


Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:What does it say about a person (me!) who hates to bait the hook but always has live nightcrawlers in the fridge all summer and loves to fish?


You're a girlscout. Always prepared. ;)

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:How many pet dogs is too many dogs?


When they fight more than the couples in the HDB flats.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Does anyone else picture Bubbles living in a little den in a hollow tree like Mrs. Tittlemouse?



I was actually thinking more along a Spongebob Squarepants house.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I like a ice cold oaky chardonnay in a big red wine galss. Don't care how out -of-fashion that is.


The more the merrier.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I envy Heather Locklear on a visceral level.



I think i *want* Heather Locklear on a visceral level.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I'm not sure I'm hard-wired for opera.


Give it some time. Wait till your eardrums have shattered. Then opera is ok.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:SAT question. Poetry is to communication as walking is to ______________.



Movement?

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I believe everyone should watch one of the Godfather movies at least once a year and read a pulitzer prize/booker/pen Faulkner award winning novel once a month.



Done and Done.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:As a parent, the best you can do is to be present for your children: love them and give them the confidence and the tools to build their own futures. Hugging them with great regularity and telling them they are gorgeous is also a very good thing.



And it's good if you can to that for *them* too.


Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:When people start talking about taxes my eyes roll back in my head.


I panic and realize the deadline has passed.

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Oh there is so much more, but the hourglass on this day is running out. :wink:


Sands of time and all that...
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed, 25 Aug 2004
Location: Wales, UK

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:19 pm

Well, I've been away in London and just found this thread.....great, now I can witter on to my heart's content.......in the same vein as MHB.....

Why is it that the women rock drummers never get quite as insane as the guys?

Why does grass grow so quick, and why hasn't someone invented slow-gro stuff?

Why am I convinced I'm as breezy now as I was at 16 only to find out that it's another planet and I left it, and there's no secret code to get back in?

Why do I want to?

Why do the dodgiest looking politicians have torrid secret sex lives? (see link) Is it because they hot stuff in the sack? Or without the power would they just look like any other old bloke down the pub? Any why would they want to dredge up his wife's having a child she had adopted just because he was found out? Tit for tat? Or sour grapes and image mending for him? Why am I cynical about what can be done with power at your elbow?

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politi ... 360423.ece

What are the limits YOU would go to to save your bacon?

Why does hair go curly in the wet?

Why can't I find the right fitted carpet for my treehouse? (Ta, Mary!!! :D )

Why do cats suffer us as fools and not have that dopey look of love dogs do?

If I'm only 5'5'' and hubby not too tall, 5'9/10 how come I turned out a 6'2'' son? (No, postman was short, and milkman is a woman)

Why are publishers a law unto themselves and all blind and deaf?

Why are sausages so yummy when you know they're a healthrisk waiting to happen.....(also can substitute dumplings, cream cake, eggs, curry, bacon, burgers, roti, laksa, red meat etc etc for sausages in the above)?

Why do I have a good knowledge of what constitutes a healthy lifestyle then ignore half of it anyway?

Why do I still love Dusty Springfield and yet seem to find few peeps who agree her voice is (was) fabulous?

Why do Singaporeans say freckles are blemishes?

Why wasn't I born with beautiful tanning skin?

When will I end this list?

What's so funny about Barry Manilow?

Why are trashy 'Who's doing what?' mags so irresistible?

Why can't I do geometry?

Why don't I love funfairs now, as I used to when I was a kid? Is it my inner ear balance, or something, or am I just turning into a boring old fart?

Why do I think of MHB as a secret rock chick in some former life, and now think of her as living in a huge house in Sing, doing dinner parties and swanning over a huge team of staff?

Is it a world-wide phenomenon that babies are so cute and we love them so much? Is it because they have to be that way because of the upheaval they bring with them?

Why do I think of Sapphire as a tiny worldwind you'd be best staying on the right side of?

Why can't I wait for what Eric will say next? (i.e. why can't I be as out there as him?)

Why is the rain and wind on a bitter winter's night so lovely when you're tucked up in bed?

Does everyone go back to 'another place' in their mind when they smell the ocean, or mown grass, or roses?

Which smells are 'instant' reminders of youth for you? Or special times? (Johnson's Baby Powder counts.)

I agree with the read books and good movies, MHB.

Why do all the fancy, 'You can lose five pounds in one week with this diet' only boil down to 'You're eating too much fatty, cut down'...?

OK, over and out.....

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Re: Random Musings, best avoid at all costs.

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:27 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I'm born in 1963....

I like a ice cold oaky chardonnay in a big red wine galss. Don't care how out -of-fashion that is.



Thought I was reading my own thoughts, it gets scary La Reinne... :o

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:30 pm

Bubbles wrote:Why can't I wait for what Eric will say next? (i.e. why can't I be as out there as him?)
Bubbs.


I don't know what is happening these days, but I am starting to get the likes for Caucasian women again... :lol:

Eric

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 5:37 pm

Mary is younger than me . . . :-|
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Postby Bremen » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:12 pm

Bubbles wrote:Why is it that the women rock drummers never get quite as insane as the guys?


It's the boobs. All that bouncing's gotta hurt! ;)


Bubbles wrote:Why does grass grow so quick, and why hasn't someone invented slow-gro stuff?


Agent Orange.

Bubbles wrote:Why am I convinced I'm as breezy now as I was at 16 only to find out that it's another planet and I left it, and there's no secret code to get back in?


Secret code = 12 < AGE <20> red. Nothing in-between. ;)

Bubbles wrote:When will I end this list?


Geez, exactly what i was wondering.

Bubbles wrote:What's so funny about Barry Manilow?


What's NOT funny about him?


Bubbles wrote:Why are trashy 'Who's doing what?' mags so irresistible?


They distract you from your mundane world and take you into someone else's.

Bubbles wrote:Why can't I do geometry?


I love geometry.

Bubbles wrote:Why don't I love funfairs now, as I used to when I was a kid? Is it my inner ear balance, or something, or am I just turning into a boring old fart?


No comment. ;)

Bubbles wrote:Why do I think of MHB as a secret rock chick in some former life, and now think of her as living in a huge house in Sing, doing dinner parties and swanning over a huge team of staff?


Because you're probably spot-on.

Bubbles wrote:Is it a world-wide phenomenon that babies are so cute and we love them so much? Is it because they have to be that way because of the upheaval they bring with them?


Yup. Basic survival mechanism. Smart buggers.

Bubbles wrote:Why do I think of Sapphire as a tiny worldwind you'd be best staying on the right side of?


I don't think any side is safe.

Bubbles wrote:Why can't I wait for what Eric will say next? (i.e. why can't I be as out there as him?)


You're not Dutch. ;)

Bubbles wrote:Why is the rain and wind on a bitter winter's night so lovely when you're tucked up in bed?


It's ALWAYS lovely... Either that, or it's lovely *because* you're tucked up nice, warm and dry.


Bubbles wrote:Does everyone go back to 'another place' in their mind when they smell the ocean, or mown grass, or roses?


I'm always in another place mentally. ;)

Bubbles wrote:Which smells are 'instant' reminders of youth for you? Or special times? (Johnson's Baby Powder counts.)


Cerelac wheat-banana.


Bubbles wrote:Why do all the fancy, 'You can lose five pounds in one week with this diet' only boil down to 'You're eating too much fatty, cut down'...?


Because it's true. :)

Bubbles wrote:OK, over and out.....




Oh thank god!
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon, 31 Oct 2005

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:25 pm

Why did I sing karaoke last night with boyfriend's boss the first time we ever met? No wasn't drinking, and am a really bad singer. Very out of character for me.

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Postby Bremen » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:28 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:Why did I sing karaoke last night with boyfriend's boss the first time we ever met? No wasn't drinking, and am a really bad singer. Very out of character for me.


You like the boss? ;)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed, 25 Aug 2004
Location: Wales, UK

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:29 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

You HAVE to be joking Brem, just started, me.

Cheekybeak....it's just so FABULOUS when someone does something daft like you did, it restores my faith in the world, knowing that there's a little madness left. You go girl.

(By the way, you're most probably the talk of his office this morning, and next time you meet any of them they'll all look at you weirdly and be waiting for you to go crazy.....don't disappoint them.) :D
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.



Dylan Thomas.

User avatar
Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon, 31 Oct 2005

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 6:32 pm

Hahahaha, no definately not attracted to the boss in any way. Was my first time EVER singing in public and I didn't even regret it, well someone had to sing in English.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 7:43 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:Hahahaha, no definately not attracted to the boss in any way. Was my first time EVER singing in public and I didn't even regret it, well someone had to sing in English.


I get my revenge by having my Japanese or Korean hosts sing : "Green, gree grass of home"
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Postby Bremen » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 9:16 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Cheekybeek wrote:Hahahaha, no definately not attracted to the boss in any way. Was my first time EVER singing in public and I didn't even regret it, well someone had to sing in English.


I get my revenge by having my Japanese or Korean hosts sing : "Green, gree grass of home"


"Gleeno, gleeno glassu of homo"?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests