Singapore Expats

isp

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mmuz

isp

Post by mmuz » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:05 am

hi.

i just moved here and needs a fast isp , where can i find 100mbit+ ?

i spoke to starhub and all they could offer was 30mbit if signing a 24 month contract and im not sure if im staying here so long.

routing to korea , japan , and usa aint that bad as to europe ?

pls let me know if you have any advises .

mmuz

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:59 pm

You'll only get 100mbit on a corporate line with Singnet, and even then it'll involve lots of $$$ and a 2-year contract.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Post by renter » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 1:32 pm

The fact is connection to US here is always faster than connection to Europe.
it is sometimes even faster than to asian areas like japan, korea. the reason lies on the internet backbone.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 1:48 pm

Well, the real question is... What do you need a 100mbit line for?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

mmuz

Post by mmuz » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:15 pm

thx. some ppl at work told me that starhub will bring out some 100mbit lines next month but doubt that . guess the 30mbit one will do otherwise but do i need to sign for 2 years on that one ? i have send an email to all isp providers asking them but havent got any replay.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:28 pm

Standard contract is 2 years.
- Terry Pratchett

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Post by Scorpion » Wed, 26 Apr 2006 4:34 pm

Bremen wrote:Standard contract is 2 years.
Is 2 years contract a default :?, still can get a connection without any promotion then :(
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

mmuz

Post by mmuz » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:21 am

im not sure about that , gonna call them tomorrow and check as they havent replied to any mails ive sent. will c what they offer tough as it might be worth signing up for 2 years if reciving anything good.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Post by Scorpion » Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:05 am

mmuz wrote:im not sure about that , gonna call them tomorrow and check as they havent replied to any mails ive sent. will c what they offer tough as it might be worth signing up for 2 years if reciving anything good.
:)
It'z quiet easy to visit one of their customer service office and get in more details directly
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 1:39 pm

Dial the magic number 1630 instead of moaning here about Starhub not replying your emails.

Take a look again at Bremen's question: Why you need 100Mbite in the first place?

Care to reply?

Eric

mmuz

Post by mmuz » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 5:22 pm

i need 100+ or even faster , private buisness.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 5:37 pm

mmuz wrote:i need 100+ or even faster , private buisness.
If you're planning on streaming adult videos, or sharing/downloading videos, you're going to wind up in Changi prison pretty quickly. :)

You're not going to get 100Mbit on a residential line either. It will be a corporate line, and the installatio naddress has to be registered corporate space, registered with the Singaporean government.
- Terry Pratchett

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 5:46 pm

Here, contact Singnet for a leased line:
http://business.singtel.com/mnc/product ... erview.asp
- Terry Pratchett

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 28 Apr 2006 8:36 pm

renter wrote:The fact is connection to US here is always faster than connection to Europe.
it is sometimes even faster than to asian areas like japan, korea. the reason lies on the internet backbone.

I find this so funny! because ever since coming to Singapore , 18 months ago, I have smashed one brand new lap top, out of pure frustration of this crappy infrastruture.

Never ever had these problems in Taiwan, and the customer service is also pure crap. I have 3 websites hosted with ipowerweb in the states, and i have great difficulty keeping them updated, and its almost impossible to get my mail, from the webmail, freezes all the time.

When I did a ping on the states webhost, 4 data packets sent, every time and 2 dropped, 7 times out of 10. the average time is still 345m/s now that is crappy.

Who is to blame, the webhost or the ISP, engineers have been out several times, and cannot find anything wrong! Ipowerweb say the same, one blames the other all the time.

Yet I am the one pulling my F-----g hair out! Every time i contact the customer service, at singtel, 4 out 5 don't understand what a ping or trace is.

My conclusion is that the bandwidth is being screwed oversold, so that we all have to upgrade! and I know for a fact that all ISP's do it!

If you are hosting locally probably no problem at all, Singapore is living in a gold fish bowl! I've never experienced the internet so bad in Europe or Taiwan even on a 56 modem

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”