Singapore Expats Forum

Stupid Airline

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nms1
Regular
Regular

Stupid Airline

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 7:56 pm

I booked my flight some days ago: Frankfurt > Dubai > SG

I paid 750Euro roundtrip.

And now the stupid travelagency told me that I can take only 20kg luggage... 20kg for my stay which is over 6 months...

They offered me to take every additional kilogram for 49Euro.

That means, that a ticket is cheaper tahn additional 20kg...

That smell...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 8:30 pm

Fly Singapore air, tell them you will migrate and voila: you are allowed extra luggage for free....

Eric

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 9:04 pm

to late, I booked already with emirates...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 9:50 pm

Dude, 20kg is STANDARD on most international flights. You have nothing to complain about. you can try to upgrade to business or first class, or just pack your stuff and get it shipped.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 9:59 pm

please tell me how my girlfriend and I have to pack for 6 months and have only 40kg together???

thats technical, physical and women-thinking not possible...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:04 pm

nms1 wrote:please tell me how my girlfriend and I have to pack for 6 months and have only 40kg together???

thats technical, physical and women-thinking not possible...

Still, that's normal. Most people would do this:

1. Pack their stuff in boxes.
2. Get it shipped to SG.
3. Fly to SG with 20kg of light clothes and necessities
4. Buy some cheap clothes here and in Malaysia (very, very, very cheap compared to Germany)
5. Be happy when 2-3 weeks later their shipment of other clothes and goods arrive.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:05 pm

Point is, don't blame the airline for your lack of foresight. A little research would have told you that 20kg is the norm.

- Terry Pratchett

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:15 pm

I flow for 6 months to the usa and they told me: who will stay longer then 6months, can take an additional luggage of 20kg. but this was not the 6 months, but who fly to usa...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:19 pm

nms1 wrote:I flow for 6 months to the usa and they told me: who will stay longer then 6months, can take an additional luggage of 20kg. but this was not the 6 months, but who fly to usa...

The USA is different. Almost every airline between Asia and the USA offers 40-60kg per passenger. For the rest of the world, 20kg is the standard.

Again, I maintain my point. You're moving to another country for 6 months... You need to do your research!! You can't blame the airline just because you assumed things. Ask, ask again and double-check!

- Terry Pratchett

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:22 pm

Yes, I know, I can´t blame the airline...I´m only angry...

But for the second time, I will know it...

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:24 pm

nms1 wrote:Yes, I know, I can´t blame the airline...I´m only angry...

But for the second time, I will know it...

if possible, ask a friend or relative to send you a parcel (big box with clothes, etc) via Post. It'll cost a bit, but nothing compared to extra KG on a flight.

On the other hand, for the price of one shirt in Germany, you could easily get 5-10 here (or across the border in Malaysia, even cheaper).

- Terry Pratchett

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:27 pm

but please tell me when do I have to go shopping when I have to work 60hours per week?!?!?!

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:30 pm

nms1 wrote:but please tell me when do I have to go shopping when I have to work 60hours per week?!?!?!

Welcome to the singapore work week... Luckily, you can go shopping on weekend here. In Germany, most shops and malls are closed on Sundays. They're still open here.

- Terry Pratchett

nms1
Regular
Regular

Postby nms1 » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:35 pm

I don´t think that I will go shopping at my one and only free day in the week...

but may be my girlfriend, with a lot shorter week, will do it for me...

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:59 pm

Bremen wrote:
nms1 wrote:but please tell me when do I have to go shopping when I have to work 60hours per week?!?!?!

Welcome to the singapore work week... Luckily, you can go shopping on weekend here. In Germany, most shops and malls are closed on Sundays. They're still open here.

when my german teacher told me this, I was very surprised. :)
she said she liked here, she found germany boring, all shops closed on Sunday. :lol: