Singapore Expats Forum

The Apprentice- Martha Stewart

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

The Apprentice- Martha Stewart

Postby Cheekybeek » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 5:51 pm

Move over donald trump. Just switched on the TV to find... shock of all shocks the Apprentice with Martha stewart behind the boardroom desk. They have a challenge- yup you guessed it decorating a wedding cake. What has reality TV come to? And why is it spreading faster than the SMS language on this board? The only saving grace about reality TV in Singapore is the absence of Big Brother... I hope unless I spoke too soon.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 5:55 pm

I am anti-reality TV. I pretty sure this series was cancelled in the US so don't get too attached. Martha spread herself to thin and needs to stick with what she does best: Martha Stewart Living.

I only have an hour or so of TV in me a day, so I usually save it for something good. I just started Homicide: Life on the Streets on DVD. Outstanding...

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 6:17 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I am anti-reality TV. I pretty sure this series was cancelled in the US so don't get too attached. Martha spread herself to thin and needs to stick with what she does best: Martha Stewart Living.

I only have an hour or so of TV in me a day, so I usually save it for something good. I just started Homicide: Life on the Streets on DVD. Outstanding...

Yes Mary, the series was indeed cancelled. Surprise, surprise (not!) The Donald and Martha had a falling out. Creative differences maybe?

I agree about reality tv; there's just too much of it invading the tv screens. Welcome to wife swap (not quite as risque at it sounds) but I caught a few episodes.
One man's meat is another's poison.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 6:36 pm

Amazing races, big brothers, survivors and alike, I hate it, I find it depressing, boring and it makes me vomit.

The only channel I watch here is Discovery travel and living and occasionaly animal planet or national geographic.

My favorites would be Anthony Bourdain, Keith Floyd, Jamie Oliver (only his Italy travel tour though) and most of all The Thirsty Traveller.

Whenever there is a local comedy / drama like The Durian King, I may switch to channel 5. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the pulp here would be banned from tv.

Eric

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 7:00 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Amazing races, big brothers, survivors and alike, I hate it, I find it depressing, boring and it makes me vomit.

The only channel I watch here is Discovery travel and living and occasionaly animal planet or national geographic.

My favorites would be Anthony Bourdain, Keith Floyd, Jamie Oliver (only his Italy travel tour though) and most of all The Thirsty Traveller.

Whenever there is a local comedy / drama like The Durian King, I may switch to channel 5. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the pulp here would be banned from tv.

Eric

I lost interest after the first Survivor series and loved The Apprentice for the first two seasons but my interest dwindled soon after. I think the increase in reality tv shows on the whole depicts the demand of a society that is largely voyueristic.

My husband and I are big fans of the cooking shows on Food Network TV when we used to get them. You gotta love the Iron Chef.

Some really good tv shows that I like are Lost and 24 and I agree Eric, the Discovery Channel is pretty good.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 7:08 pm

Yes, I like Lost as well. I also started watching My Name is Earl (on tonight!), I like the iron Chef, Jamie Oliver isn't too bad. Has anyone caught Nigels Place in France? It cracks me up what a wanker Nigel is and how he has such bad business sense- always nice to watch someone else fail miserably on TV.

Cannot stand amazing race, idol, big brother, any magicians doing tricks shows, OK too many others to name.

It is so strange having all these channels of utter crap after spending the first 16 years of my life with only ABC and WIN, 2 channels which half the time showed only sports anyway.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:53 pm

I've only managed to watch the 2hr episode of Lost just telecast a couple of weeks ago???

Nigel's Place... is it about the guy who opens up an Indian restaurant in France and couldn't even communicate with his chef?

I like Anthony Bourdain's cooking programs and whatever I catch when I sit down in front of a tv, when I do... National Geographic and any other programs that has food, animals and travelling in them... :)

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Re: The Apprentice- Martha Stewart

Postby Rose_YG » Sun, 23 Apr 2006 1:55 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:Move over donald trump. Just switched on the TV to find... shock of all shocks the Apprentice with Martha stewart behind the boardroom desk. They have a challenge- yup you guessed it decorating a wedding cake. What has reality TV come to? And why is it spreading faster than the SMS language on this board? The only saving grace about reality TV in Singapore is the absence of Big Brother... I hope unless I spoke too soon.

Gosh 'Big Brother'?? I remember the time when i was in germany and i was watching "Big Brother" show everyday.Almost become an addict coz i guessed that it is the only show that is 'interesting' apart from CNN.

But after the second series i lost interest because it got so predictable.

Thank god, it's better here.I like Discovery,Travel and Living.Been watching a lot of those cooking shows!!

RYG
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 23 Apr 2006 7:12 pm

I think Martha and Donald had a fall out over the color of curtains :wink:

I love documentaries, any sort....

and I have been caught flipping through Martha's Weddings at a bookstore.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:07 am

tiki wrote:and I have been caught flipping through Martha's Weddings at a bookstore.

Ahem, anything you'd like to share here, Tiki? Do I hear wedding bells?

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:09 am

I think he has a proposal coming up :cool:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: The Apprentice- Martha Stewart

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:38 am

Rose_YG wrote:Gosh 'Big Brother'?? I remember the time when i was in germany and i was watching "Big Brother" show everyday.Almost become an addict
RYG

*sigh*

How many times I told you Germany is soooooo boring.... :-|

Eric

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:40 am

Cheekybeek wrote:I think he has a proposal coming up :cool:

I better be careful, I am gonna meet up with him tomorrow.... :o :lol:

Eric

Return to “General Discussions”