Singapore Expats Forum

Been to Bangkok?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ironlady
Chatter
Chatter

Been to Bangkok?

Postby ironlady » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 5:52 pm

Hey all , I wanna make a short trip to BKK. Can anyone suggest what is the best place for shopping ? Is it safe to move around alone there ?

Also , I have been suggested to stay at Baiyoke Sky hotel by the travel agency ...its near Prathanam market..hope i got the spelling right...

Please help to give some useful info...cheers
:cool:
Life is not like a smooth sailing ship.It has ups n downs

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 5:55 pm

At BKK it should be safe to travel around alone.. People there are friendly. There are afew big shopping mall there. MBK is quite a big and popular one there.. Enjoy..

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 5:56 pm

Since you are located on Venus and your tagline says you love them, I'd say Bangkok is the right place to go to.

Shopping is found around Sukhumvit, the higher numbered soi's over there. Try MBK, Emporium and other malls there.

Imho Singapore is more interesting to shop, but.... up to yourself.

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 6:20 pm

Busy, dirty, full of noise, cheapy stalls on the road and mad tuk tuks...but I love the city....

Careful of the food...always ask for less hot otherwise you'll get mouth burning everything....lol.

Enjoy.....avoid red light district, very worrying place....v. young girls everywhere.

This world can be horrible, oh yes.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 6:22 pm

Chances are if you venture to the night markets, you will realise that the stuff they sell are somewhat all the same. If you have a weekend then head to Chatuchak for variety.

There is a quaint hotel situated on Soi2 Sukhumvit Road. It's, if I can still remember, 2 or 3 storeys high and once you step in...

it's like you just stepped back in time, into a movie set.

Fact is, movies have been shot there.

Check that one out and bring a camera.

If you want to experience Bangkok, do not take the cab..

take a tuktuk.

And beware....

the most common ruse to trap an unknowing tourist is to waylay you to shop at certain places. Usually if you're heading say to a certain place, the cabbie or whoever will tell you...

"Oh it is closed.Buddha holiday." Then they offer you alternative suggestion. That's the biggest crap.

Do check out Jim Thompson's house which has been restored and refurbished into a sort of museum.

Enjoy your trip.

This has been your captain speaking.

Sawadee....
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 9:33 pm

No offence to Eric, but BKK has much better shopping compared to Singapore. better antiques, better fabric, better clothing, better everything. PM me for specifics.

P.S. Tiki, I Love Jim Thompson's house. Been there 5 or 7 times. Love it. Love that he wa American, yet somehow, fit in so well with Thai culture. Love the outlet stores even more I'm afraid...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 9:57 pm

MHB, I've spent a small fortune on Thai silk at Jim Thompson outlets over the past two decades. Fortunately, my wife doesn't sew as much as she used to so still have some partial bolts laying around the flat.

Beautiful stuff.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:MHB, I've spent a small fortune on Thai silk at Jim Thompson outlets over the past two decades. Fortunately, my wife doesn't sew as much as she used to so still have some partial bolts laying around the flat.

Beautiful stuff.

My whole house is upholstered in it I'm afraid. And why not? A friend and I figured -- if you buy 10 meters at the outlet, at outlet prices -- your room and flight are paid for. I generally bring back about 30 meters. Actually I'm due for a trip, any takers?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:20 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:MHB, I've spent a small fortune on Thai silk at Jim Thompson outlets over the past two decades. Fortunately, my wife doesn't sew as much as she used to so still have some partial bolts laying around the flat.

Beautiful stuff.

My whole house is upholstered in it I'm afraid. And why not? A friend and I figured -- if you buy 10 meters at the outlet, at outlet prices -- your room and flight are paid for. I generally bring back about 30 meters. Actually I'm due for a trip, any takers?

Ok, Bkk is nice indeed...

No silk needed here, we just bought Tafta silk in Vietnam...

Eric

icedragon1420
Regular
Regular

Postby icedragon1420 » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:30 am

i now its a bit off but is it expensive to travel to BKK and vietnam etc from Singapore? sorry only been here 4 days now? :???:
If time is money and money is time then where can i buy some?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:34 am

icedragon1420 wrote:i now its a bit off but is it expensive to travel to BKK and vietnam etc from Singapore? sorry only been here 4 days now? :???:

www.tigerairways.com
www.airasia.com
www.jetstarasia.com
www.valuair.com.sg

For a few dollars you can fly anywhere these days...

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:38 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:No silk needed here, we just bought Tafta silk in Vietnam...

Eric

Sorry Eric, but I can't resist. Something about "hoist" and "petard".

You've dissed Vietnam on a lot of threads after your recent sojourn there. I glad you found at least one thing's nice there (even to the extent of a brand name as well! :mrgreen: )

I'm not rubbing your fur the wrong way or anything, I've not visited VN since I left in '68 - nothing there I can recommend from my own personal perspective either. Course my views are still slightly skewed. :(

sms

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:48 am

no worries sms, I can understand the confusion! :)

Yep, besides the bad impression it left us with, we did manage to get some great silk curtains, nice eggshell vase and tray (decorative, not art :P ), ceramics, paintings (a real chagall and rothko for just a hundred bugs, can you imagine :o ) and a few other items.

I must say, Vietnam has quite a few good artefacts and artists... :wink:

Eric

Highland Chicken

Postby Highland Chicken » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 5:34 am

Hey there

Stayed at the Baiyoke Sky a couple of years ago, quite plush, large room, pretty grumpy reception staff but that's often the case with hotels that have large party bookings as well as independant guests.

Well situated, taxis mega cheap, get them to pop the meter on for you before they drive off - saves arguments later.

HC

ironlady
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ironlady » Sat, 22 Apr 2006 3:25 pm

thanks for all the great info.. actually i am paying 335 per person,,including hotel,,thats by Jetstar..well lets see,,i am thinking of getting some nice imitation products..in fact wanna check them out :cool:
Life is not like a smooth sailing ship.It has ups n downs