Singapore Expats Forum

What Is The Right Choice??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

simmy

What Is The Right Choice??

Postby simmy » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 5:54 pm

What is the right choice?? Feel free to put your views across!!
I have recently attended a cabin crew interview for UK Airline. I Personally feel the interview went really well so I should be getting the results if I got the place to proceed onto training within 7 days, however my problem is I have 3 months left to complete my degree, but because the training will be taking place in May I have to make a decision if I should give up on my last year of study and go for my dream or whether I should wait for another opportunity?? This is the first interview I have ever attended, & I have high hopes for the outcome as I believe this Airline is brilliant and I may not get another chance!!
[/b]
Last edited by simmy on Thu, 20 Apr 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 6:16 pm

Simmy,
This is a question that has been asked before but no harm in answering it again. First of all complete your degree. Yes you may lose the training place with the airline but if for some reason you don't like the job, fail to complete the training, end up ill (heaven forbid) and are medically terminated or indeed fail the medical you will have no degree and no job.

On the other hand if you have your degree then you have a range of more professional jobs open to you, not immediately of course and there will of course be that transitional difficulty. I don't know which airline you have applied to but most would honour your situation since you have the potential for a higher level job.

Cabin crew vacancies tend to be repeated due to the high turnover of staff and in the case of SIA the culture of the company (i.e. females are contracted for a shorter time than males or were maybe somebody can update you on that).

Remember get your degree , you have worked for it and will regret it if you don't.

Best Wishes.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 21 Apr 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyaway

Postby flyaway » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 8:26 pm

Hi simmy,

Happy to hear your interview went well. But you should be happier that you're only 3 month's left to finishing your course of study!

Please choose wisely. If I were you, I'd choose to complete my studies first. Let the employer know of your plans and your interest in joining them in the near future. I believe that'll grant you understanding and respect from the employer. :)

vivi
Regular
Regular

Postby vivi » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 9:25 pm

hi, congrats on the interview. I personally feel that you should at least complete your degree. Perhaps you can be honest to the company and maybe they will allow a deferment. Anything is possible. Its a pity to give up since you only have 3 mths more to go.

All the best :wink:

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 9:38 pm

Yeah, don't you think that if you give up your studies now, just 3 months before it's completed, you'd have just wasted months of studies? Might as well finish it.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:40 am

You're putting the cart before the horse so to speak. You haven't been offered a position yet so you may not have any decisions to make. Wait and see, give yourself some time to think about it. Personally I say finish your degree but it's up to you.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:00 am

You're in a marathon....

the finishing line is in sight but your throat is parched. You need that isotonic drink from the station.. and by the look of it, so does some of the other competitors.

The drink station is just within reach...

do you want to make a pit stop for that drink knowing that probably some other people might have the same thought? Or do you sprint to the finishing line...

and acheive greater success and all the isotonic you can stomache?

You have come this far...

what would you do?
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 21 Apr 2006 1:39 pm

You know the right thing to do is complete your studies, there will be lots of other interviews & they will go better (& there will be more of them) if you have qualifications.

Don't get over excited about this one, it takes a lot to say "thank you, but no thank you" tell them you wnt to complete your course, they will admire your maturity & if they are serious about taking you on they will do so after you have finished. If they withdraw the offer then they didn't really want you that badly.

Now stop looking at the internet & get back to the books!

:)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

simmy

Postby simmy » Wed, 03 May 2006 3:24 am

Thankyou to all those people who advised me on this forum, I have recently recieved a letter confirming I have been succesfull in my interview however thinking about my studies I have made my choice to complete my degree & hopefully I should re-apply after I complete my course in July!! Thankyou for your advice!! :) :) :)

singaporegirl79

my opinion

Postby singaporegirl79 » Sun, 14 May 2006 5:47 pm

I think you should finish the degree because airline business is not stable. If there is anything happening in some countries like say terrorism and stuff.. tourism is the first to go down.. (not to mean that anything bad will happen). So you can never be 100% sure you are secure in your job. IF you have a degree, at least you have something to fall back on.. And to throw away how far you have come is a waste.. just imagine 3 more months you'll be a graduate. I am sure you will have another opportunity to work in the airline again.. :)