Singapore Expats Forum

Through your eyes...What makes Singapore so unique?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Smilin_D

Through your eyes...What makes Singapore so unique?

Postby Smilin_D » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm an exchange student here and I've only been around for a few months. I've loved every minute of it...from the non-stop eats, bustling streets of Orchard,Bugis,etc to the quiet getaways at Pulau Ubin...It's been a blast thus far and I'm sure many of you would agree! :)

Now I need to turn in a report back to my home university ...and I would love to get some feedback, personal opinions on what it is about Singapore that you find most unique. IN other words, what are some aspects of Singapore that sets it apart from other countries ?? I'm hoping to get some insight into things that surpass issues like shopping/eating, etc... perhaps it's things like the transportation system (MRT), Educational system, Health Care, etc that you find most interesting?
Thanks a million and I look forward to reading all your replies!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 1:55 pm

What sets Singapore apart?

The amount of students asking for help with their homework on the internet!

:wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 2:45 pm

:D:D:D at Baron Greenback's (I had actually typed in 'LOL at Baron Greeback's ...but thought might get flamed here for using shortforms here...) ;)

Similing_D try the National Library, you will find enough information there, I think.

I am huge wikipedia fan...so here goes. ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore

You might have a read, then explore and then do your write-up.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your time here on exchange!

Miss student-life!!!! :(

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 2:50 pm

Singlish and text messages lingo.

Oh....

cab drivers who refuse to take you to your destination if it is deemed too far. Just goes to show how big some people think this place is.

In other words... lack of humility.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 2:53 pm

tiki wrote: lack of humility.

And most certainly too much humidity.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 3:05 pm

tiki wrote:Singlish and text messages lingo..

I am not a huge fan either but cant believe you guys cannot get over it !

tiki wrote:cab drivers who refuse to take you to your destination if it is deemed too far. Just goes to show how big some people think this place is..

I just had this experience recently...the night before good friday when there were no cabs and this merc cabbie refusing to drive me to my place just since it is not in the city centre!!

And he was saying something about being a limo servcie.. that he will take me anywhere in the city centre only and that it will cost 20 dollars irregardless?

tiki wrote:In other words... lack of humility.

That's a hard statement.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 20 Apr 2006 4:40 pm

Your uniqueness...??? Not the weather, lots of the same all around your area......not the older buildings.....similar in KL ......not the hawker centres, also can find same in Malaysia.....

But....your cleanliness, your HDB system for housing allocation...much better than ours here in the UK....your 'apparent' orderliness, though you could all be seething activists underneath, who knows?.....your feeling of safety, whether real or imagined.....your ability to live peacefully with a varied populace, i.e. your tolerance.....your work ethic.....your regard for your older family members....big one that, familial responsibility.....

Your childlikeness....NO, not childISHNESS....I love the way some of your young folk seem so sweet and happy when out on the East Coast, say....(OK, generalization, they could all be very different underneath)...but when you see a group of youngsters on the beach having a picnic, it all seems so very different to the same gangs of kids here, who very ofter hang round and look menacing...(yes, know weather helps, but you know what I mean)..........your schooling and how seriously you take learning, very.......your FOOD, yum.............your embracing of technology, (this one essential for you as you're such a tiny country and good on you that you've made it a centre for excellence in this sphere)......your medical services, even though you have to pay something....(don't think it's not getting that way in the UK, our family have just been thrown out of the NHS dental service....no NHS dentists hardly anywhere in the UK....and it looks like med services may follow)...........

I'm not eulogising Singapore here, but seriously stating your unique points, as I see them. Of course you have bad points, but don't we all?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.