Singapore Expats Forum

Beggars in Singapore...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 7:23 pm

tiki wrote:
Plavt wrote:
tiki wrote:well if fish&chips came wrapped in a newspaper, that would complete it :wink:

You must have a long memory Tiki, the practice was banned when I was nine years old (about 1966 if I remember correctly), oops giving my age away.

:D :D :D :P

Plavt.

They banned that in the year England won the FIFA World Cup?

Last time I was in UK, last year they served them in newspapers, in a small town. I could actually read the morning news on them :wink:

Interesting I haven't seen them wrapped in newspapers since around the date I mentioned so I don't know what was going on there.

Plavt.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 7:42 pm

There's a restaurant in the Dairy Farm condo that sells fish & chips on newspaper...
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 7:43 pm

Bremen wrote:There's a restaurant in the Dairy Farm condo that sells fish & chips on newspaper...

We are referring to the UK.

Plavt.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 8:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Believe me, what you see in town and beating others up is minute (often caused by anti-american bashers having had too much to drink and spouting off to the wrong people (Marines in particular).

Ah, the Americans, always blame it on the others? :wink:

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You ought to try looking for the good in people some of the time. Your penchant for only pointing out the bad does tend to come off as bashing.

It just came to mind sms, I was bringing my Intel client back to her room at Hilton Hotel, then she (Californian herself) got 'incidently' smacked by one of those proud USA navy boys. The staff was already beaten up, police didnot dare to intervene and finaly it was one of the embassy diplomats to make them cool down. Reason why? One of the big guys refused to pay a girl from OT, she made a scene and he decided to beat her up. Staff intervened etc etc.

Hilton manager told me it was a continuous problem, every time again, and Hilton couldnot refuse them, as it's an American hotel...

Dont' blame me sms, I'm just a messenger.

And btw, what is the tone of your first answer to serendipity? quite negative, isn't it? :P

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 9:06 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:And btw, what is the tone of your first answer to serendipity? quite negative, isn't it? :P

Eric

sundaymorningstaple wrote:serendipity,

Singapore is noted for its laws. No Begging is one of them. There are no Singaporean beggers in Singapore. Those that are approaching you, are sitting on the overpass, standing on the sidewalks are all from outside singapore and are run by syndicates. It's just like the deafmutes selling stuffed animals, they are neither deaf nor mute. It is just a ruse to get soft hearted folks like yourself to part with their money.

Same in NYC. The Pencil selling invalids are earning 30K usd a year minimum. They are not beggars they are just smarter than you to get you to fork up $2 for absolutely nothing.

Singapore has enough self-help groups and charities (clan associations, etc.) to cater to Singapore's welfare receipients. What you see are from across the causway or harbour. While singapore does not have an entrenched welfare system, those that truly need help are usually taken care of. Yes, like splatted's story today, there will always be those who somehow manage to fall through the cracks somehow.

sms

What is negative about the above post. If anything I'm actually saying the opposite aren't I. Everything there is taken from newspapers over the years both here and abroad.

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Believe me, what you see in town and beating others up is minute (often caused by anti-american bashers having had too much to drink and spouting off to the wrong people (Marines in particular).

Ah, the Americans, always blame it on the others? :wink:

Who was "always" blaming on others? The operative word here was ('often' caused by ......)

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:It just came to mind sms. Dont' blame me sms, I'm just a messenger.

Eric

10 or 20 drunk sailors doesn't an entire flotilla make. Relating an incidence that is not even connected with the gist of the topic of the thread.......?

Hope you evening with Mr & Mrs Saint was a good one albiet slightly wet.

sms

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 9:12 pm

Plavt wrote:
Bremen wrote:There's a restaurant in the Dairy Farm condo that sells fish & chips on newspaper...

We are referring to the UK.

Plavt.

I know. I'm just saying where you can get that here in SG. :)
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:And btw, what is the tone of your first answer to serendipity? quite negative, isn't it? :P

Eric

sundaymorningstaple wrote:serendipity,

Singapore is noted for its laws. No Begging is one of them. There are no Singaporean beggers in Singapore. Those that are approaching you, are sitting on the overpass, standing on the sidewalks are all from outside singapore and are run by syndicates. It's just like the deafmutes selling stuffed animals, they are neither deaf nor mute. It is just a ruse to get soft hearted folks like yourself to part with their money.

Same in NYC. The Pencil selling invalids are earning 30K usd a year minimum. They are not beggars they are just smarter than you to get you to fork up $2 for absolutely nothing.

Singapore has enough self-help groups and charities (clan associations, etc.) to cater to Singapore's welfare receipients. What you see are from across the causway or harbour. While singapore does not have an entrenched welfare system, those that truly need help are usually taken care of. Yes, like splatted's story today, there will always be those who somehow manage to fall through the cracks somehow.

sms

What is negative about the above post. If anything I'm actually saying the opposite aren't I. Everything there is taken from newspapers over the years both here and abroad.

I'm quite knackered now, just came back from doing heaps of errands, couldn't even make it to Saint's BBQ :( so I can't read all replies yet. But there is one I can assure of, being too sensitive in times, even I don't see SMS' replies on this topic nor on another topic on the same day sounded negative.
I actually was quite surprised and thought maybe SMS had a good day yesterday :P :) Just taking the piss out of you SMS, don't be pissed off aye? ;)

I would do as EADG does, cause 1 or 2 dollars don't really mean much, but then again SMS has a valid point about like making the most out of it at least.