Singapore Expats Forum

heard about anything going around?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

heard about anything going around?

Postby EADG » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:57 pm

since yesterday my stomach has been really off, kind of a sharp acidic feeling, and stll am running a low-grade fever, from 38.1-38.7

I felt bouts of a sore throat (had a real one about a month ago) but it's more like swollen glands

I slept all day and still don't feel any better, muscle aches, etc.

don't want to whinge as it's not a major illness, but curious to see if there are recent similar cases (this is a new one on me)

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Postby mayaray » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:25 am

Hm. probably something you ate. If no runny nose and congestion in the upper respiratory tract, it could be bacterial? Strep throat etc. Otherwise, perhaps a regular flu.

Just get plenty of rest!

I had an unusual flu just over Chinese New Year-floored me for 2 and a half weeks.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 9:56 pm

update on this - after getting as high as a 39-degree fever, it's come down, but the stomach is still off

hope no one else gets whatever this is, asked around and only one guy said he might have had something similar except that he was throwing up and I haven't

these things do tend to not be isolated cases, so strange I'm the only one

needless to say, not the way I'd choose to spend a 3-day weekend....

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:18 pm

I had the cram kind of pain on my tummy on Thur evening and went to NUH's ER to have it checked.
The doctor thought it might be an infection on my intestine, even though later on she said she wasn't sure which one... so that was a bit dodgy...
Didn't have any fever though nor anything else, and after the injection that also made me sleep for couple of hours on the bed in the hospital, I felt better and then checked out.
The tummy still felt funny the next day and it was more in the middle compared to the prev. day, which was on the right side. But yesterday evening, the funny feeling disappeared and today I didn't feel anything dodgy... yet...

Have you gone to the doctor? Only just don't go to see a young female doctor in ER in NUH. Or if you did, just in case, get a second opinion to be sure :lol:

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:21 pm

Just remember... she warned me that I should go back to the doctor right away if I had fever and especially if it's coupled with getting nauseous...
You better go to the ER, no?
Can you go though? If you need someone to go with you, I can go, only you have to tell me your phone number and addy too.
I lost my mobile and lost all numbers I had and haven't got around to ask for everybody's number again :( only a few whom I got to have appointment with recently.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:52 pm

Serendipity, thanks very much for your concern, I'm flattered

I'm much better today than yesterday, and just got back from HMV with a bag full of DVDs and CDs, am hoping one more quiet night will put this thing to rest, plus tomorrow is Easter so hope to be up early

anyone else hearing about anyone with similar symptoms please share that here

I considered mayaray's idea that it might be food poisoning, but my gut (yes, pun intended) feeling is that it was something else

down to 37 degrees.....

serendipity
Regular
Regular

Postby serendipity » Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:57 pm

Serendipity, thanks very much for your concern, I'm flattered

Don't be, I lost my mobile couple of months ago and I just asked your number today and that's only cause you're sick :P

Well, good to know you can walk even, so probably it's not too worrying.
On a serious note, I know it's not a good feeling to be in a hospital alone... even if it's not that serious.. I certainly didn't fancy it at all...

Early on Easter day ay? I didn't know you're religious... :o
Then again, I myself have been thinking to make truce and start going to church again, at least sometimes...