Singapore Expats Forum

Girlfriend not Wife. Can I work?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 9:57 am

All this talk of 'common-law' marriage - It is a widely held belief that there is such a thing as a common law wife or husband. In fact, since the Marriage Act of 1763, there has been no such thing in England and Wales. Whether you live with your "partner", "cohabitee", "live-in-lover", "domestic associate" or "current companion" in the eyes of the law there is no special relationship and you are not equivalent to a husband or wife.

Even if a couple having been living together for several years and have children they are not regarded in law as common law husband and wife and if things do not work out a cohabitee will find that they do not have the same legal rights or safeguards as a husband or wife.

However you may be lucky as I take it from your posts you are in Scotland - the law is different north of the border. You may find yourself married under Scot's law even if you have not gone through a formal ceremony - but beware!!.... Under Scots law, there were several forms of "irregular marriage" (including marriage by correspondence), but all but one of them was abolished by 1947. Today, Scotland remains the only European jurisdiction never to have abolished the old style common-law marriage or, as it is known in Scots Law, "marriage by habit and repute". This type of marriage can be difficult to prove. It is not enough for the couple to have lived together for several years, but they must have been generally regarded as husband and wife, e.g., their friends and neighbours must have known them as "Mr. and Mrs. So-and-so" (or at least they must have held themselves out to their neighbours and friends as Mr. and Mrs. So-an-so). And it is a form of lawful marriage, so that nobody can say they are common-law spouses, or husband and wife by habit and repute, if one of them was legally married to somebody else when the relationship began.

Of course you could just get married... :lol:
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Highland Chicken

Getting Married

Postby Highland Chicken » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 4:37 pm

Hmmm.......

He asked me at Christmas and produced a ring. Turned out he'd put it on his credit card. Don't need a ring and he doesn't need a big credit card bill so I made him take it back to the jewellers.

HC

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 5:19 pm

He'll have to apply for social passes for his kids so you can always ask at your embassy whether they recognise fiances for social passes, in any case don't wait, make the enquiries ASAP and you'll find things will go more smoothly. I'll PM you details of someone I know who is looking for restaurant managers and cooks for a new cafe/restaurant. I also know they are willing to hire foreigners, you might not need the social pass at all!

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Sun, 23 Apr 2006 2:57 am

Girlfriend or Wife it doesn't matter...
As long you are a healthy person and you can work that's good enough..

:)
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 23 Apr 2006 1:05 pm

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi wrote:Girlfriend or Wife it doesn't matter...
As long you are a healthy person and you can work that's good enough..

:)

Different criteria apply to foreigners!

Plavt.