Singapore Expats Forum

Girlfriend not Wife. Can I work?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Highland Chicken

Girlfriend not Wife. Can I work?

Postby Highland Chicken » Mon, 10 Apr 2006 5:11 pm

Hey there

Other half relocating to Singapore from Scotland and I am in the process of selling my business. I will be financially stable when we come over and his new company are taking care of the relocation, accommodation, car, flights etc.

We don't have any kids and the prospect of too much time on my hands (although a novelty in the short term) doesn't appeal to me. What's the possibility of obtaining some sort of visa to work over there. My business is a Hotel/Restaurant and my background is also in BDM/Key Account Management in Oil and Gas and Call Centres along with time spent in recruitment.

All help and advice gratefully received.

HC

yorkshirelass

Postby yorkshirelass » Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:22 am

I was also going to ask a similar question. I have been offered a job at Biopolis, but my boyfriend is not a scientist and so will not find work there.
He's currently doing PR/graphic design and would likee to work in graphic design, although he's open to any kind of work if it means he's not sat around all day. he has a 2:2 degree and good A level results
My wages would feasibly provide enough for us both, but I'm worried that as we're not married he would not be able to stay for the year (I'm planning on only staying a year, which is what the initial job offer is).

Any advice on how easy/straightforward it might be for him to find work and what the consequences would be if he didn't?

We're both UK citizens by the way

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:31 pm

ok this is a bit of a hurdle for both of you. If you were married then partners would get dependant passes, as you are not then what the person who is not working gets is just the 1 month tourist visa on arrival.

A.Now you can just travel in & out every month & extend it as you go along - but we can be more practical than that.

B.You can get a solicitor to verify that you are common-law husband & wife & get dependency that way. (have to pay the lawyer $)

or

C.You can find a local sponsor & get a 6 month social visit pass (difficult if you don't know any locals)

or

D.You can set up a company (very easy to do, get a business plan & fill in forms etc & bob's your uncle). This gives you your own employment pass. to do this you either need sponsorship from a local company or $3k in the bank.

or

E. You can try & find a job. Now you would think that might be the easy option but sadly no, most jobs offered in Singapore are for PR (permanent residents) or locals only. I would suggest you try & find a job here before you arrive. Or at least try to set up some interviews.

In a nutshell I would advise you start with E, if that doesn't work consider D. if you don't want to do that one then maybe go for B.

Best of luck :)

Remember Singapore is a very process orientated place, there are rules & they have to be followed, charm & smiles will not help you sidetrack any of the regulations (I tried that :D ) Just fill in the forms & get the tick in the box.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

stuboy200

Postby stuboy200 » Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:50 am

I have an English colleague who recently got a job offer and moved here with his English girlfriend. They had been living together in the UK before coming to Singapore.

They went through the process of going to a solicitor here and getting their relationship 'certified' - 50 dollars or so, next they went to the British embassy for more paperwork - another 50 or so, then they went through the process of applying for a dependants pass.

It did take a few weeks but she now has her pass and has also found work.

So the process takes time and involves some minimal costs but at least it works :-)

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:11 am

I didn't have to see a lawyer for the LTSVP. What I did immediately after arriving here was go to my consulate/embassy with as much evidence that I could that I had been living with my partner for the past 5 years (in my case- i think the min is 1 year) this included tax returns, joint bank account statement, electricity bills etc all with varying dates that verify how long we have been living together. Partner had to come aswell and we wrote a letter that said we have lived together, we plan to keep living together as defacto/common law couple. I had a form that included sponsorship from his company, and the details of his EP. I was granted a social pass for two years (the length of his EP). I had to pay for the consulate to stamp this and later had to pay again to MOM when I picked up my green card. The nice thing is when going to Malaysia I can take the express lane with the singapore passport holders and they just scan my card. No medical exams or anything were involved I just had to state I don't have HIV turberculorsis etc. No Lawyers involved either. But you must check whether your embassy provide the stamping of the stat dec services. Otherwise you may be able to see a justice of the peace for this, provided your country recognises common law marriages as legal partnerships.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:14 am

stuboy200 wrote:I have an English colleague who recently got a job offer and moved here with his English girlfriend. They had been living together in the UK before coming to Singapore.

They went through the process of going to a solicitor here and getting their relationship 'certified' - 50 dollars or so, next they went to the British embassy for more paperwork - another 50 or so, then they went through the process of applying for a dependants pass.

It did take a few weeks but she now has her pass and has also found work.

So the process takes time and involves some minimal costs but at least it works :-)

Sorry but girlfriends cannot be given dependents passes it must have been a social pass, which means you would have to convince a company to jump through hoops to give you a job but it isn't impossible.

Highland Chicken

Ah, living together!

Postby Highland Chicken » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:04 pm

Hey Stu and Beek

Thanks for your replies.

Now, here's the rub! We've been together over 4 years but he has his own place that his kids can visit at weekends and I own a business which incluces live-in accommodation. Soooo, that means that we have no proof that we are a couple, only thing that I can think of is a bunch of stamps in our passports with the same dates and destinations. We both worked at the same firm years ago and that's how we met.

Any suggestions?

HC

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:08 pm

Sorry HC, I really think you got problems. It has to be a defacto relationship ie common law marriage in order to qualify for the social pass using this method. Hmmm I think you might be able to get a pass if you are intending to look for work and have degree and special skills but the pass will probably only be valid for 6 months.

Highland Chicken

Humph!

Postby Highland Chicken » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks Beek#

Bit fed up of all this now, can see me buying a lot of return bus tickets in and out of Malaysia at this rate.

Keep your pecker up and speak soon

HC

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:27 pm

Hey!!! i'm female so no pecker to keep up :shock: :D

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:32 pm

Ok one more option that might work is to get as many people as you can to fill out stat decs stating their relationship to you and your B/F and how long they've known you and how commited your relationship is and the length of your relationship. Good people might include his former employees, your parents, anyone who can vouch for you. You will need to put in your stat dec (made out at the embassy) your intentions to live together as a couple with him providing for you financially etc. And you will need his company to sponsor you to make things easier.

Highland Chicken

Hey, I'm Scottish!

Postby Highland Chicken » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:37 pm

Beekster!

Oh yeah, no pecker, just keep your beak up then!

I've got to go back to work now, function in tonight at 6pm, 20 old blokes with very dull palates and I'm on Chef duty!

See you later

HC

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:40 pm

Don't forget to add the chilli then, sounds like they'll need it!

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:49 pm

HC I've got one more idea for you. Contact these people http://www.poole-associates.com/TheHighlanderBar.htm
they are opening a new scottish themed bar in August and may just want authentic talented staff like yourself, it's worth a try.

Highland Chicken

Och Aye!

Postby Highland Chicken » Tue, 18 Apr 2006 4:04 am

Thanks Beekster

Worth a try, I make great Haggis Pakora!

The old boys made a right old mess of the tablecloths with their barbecued beef stir fry. Note to self, only serve them white food.

See you later

HC