Singapore Expats Forum

Tab TV, back to the medieval ages....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Tab TV, back to the medieval ages....

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:50 pm

Just saw this TV show Tab TV on Channel 5: About promiscuous teenagers (SPG's), adolescent sex and HIV.

One scene, the interviewer (Chinese Singaporean female TV presenter, about 35 years old) is interviewing Izzy, Singapore infamous SPG who had a weblog that got famous here in Singapore some months ago. Izzy is 17 years old and had / has sex with different men.
Also on the show is Daphne Khoo, former Singapore Idol finalist, about 24 years old and female.

Interviewer: So Daphne, you are still......

Daphne: Yes, I am still a virgin... Hihihihihi....

Interviewer: That is VERY good...

On the show is also the Flying Dutchman, about 50 years old, a radio DJ on 95FM. Yes, he is a Dutchman and has been living in Singapore for a long time, has 2 young kids here.

He and an Indian Singaporean, middle aged man and counsellor for kids for over 20 years, do also interview Izzy.

Flying Dutchman: What I find worrying is that "they" have sex like with an animal instinct, they do separate the "love" part. Now that is worrying me.

Izzy tells when asked by the Flying Dutchman: I did like them, when I had sex with them. Some I loved, some I liked.

FD: But you only liked them, you didnot love them! Now that worries me....

Further on in the show another cliche: 15 year old boy chats online and meets Leslie, 45 year old man and is invited to meet him. They have sex and one thing leads to the other, 15 year old likes it and has sex with more than 20 men in next 5 years. Then he finds out when tested, he is HIV positive.

Next thing is black screen, white bold text saying that HIV is increasing in Singapore. 30% of them showed to be homosexual.

(Imho that means still 70% is heterosexual, but this of course is not the message the government here wants to send through).

I suddenly felt back in the 1800's......

Singapore, a very modern state one says.... :shock:

Horrifying....

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Apr 2006 11:39 pm

That Edition of Tab TB is a rerun from several months ago.

Any time anybody wants some close up opinions on the heterosexual / aids problem I can give them heaps.

A lot of you on the board know I also have a 14 neice living with me She's been with me for the past 7 years or so just to make sure she has a future - I also took care of her brother until he became 18 and went into NS. Last August her mother (my sis-in-law) died of Aids at the CDC she was 37. We were all there when she passed away - all 30 kg of her covered with skin lesions. She looked like a skeleton. It's not a pretty way to go, Her daughter was there at the time as well. The kid is still tramatised and crys at night.

Course the mother was just like Izzy, she was always a wide child and she and her husband are bad news (drugs & alcohol). She actually contracted the HIV with a Kiwi partner on an ONS. (This was subsequently confirmed and the guy did at least for a while try to contribute to her mounting medical bills). He's gone back to NZ so I don't know what his status is now.

The flying dutchman has his head where the sun don't shine and the rest of them on the show were a bunch of d1ckheads as well.

I don't see how Izzy had so many expat boyfriends though. To me she's rather unattractive and I wouldn't have ever given her a second glance. I've seen her blog as well, I want a real woman! She's got the body of a pre-pubescent sub-teen. Might appeal to the Pedo crowd. :?

I though Daphne was only about 17 or 18? Wasn't she only 16 when she was on Singapore Idol? She was the youngest contestant, I remember that.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:29 pm

It seems to me that, every time the government has to publish some statistics indicating that the biggest rise in HIV is from heterosexual sex, it feels the need to provide a smokescreen by, say, banning a gay party so that all those nasty immoral homosexuals don't come from overseas and infect our innocent local youths. Or putting out programmes like that one.

Purrlease. Not much about this country gets under my skin but :mad: Effort would be better spent on educating the at risk heterosexuals, e.g., those that go to Batam to play "golf" and their poor wives.

(There ya go, sms, my first post in a LONG time. ;) )

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 1:12 pm

So it it, Seasider, so it is....

kinda like the Hat's reappearance over there ... good of you to drop in anytime. :cool:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 1:22 pm

a good post by Eric?

this stuff irks me, how people here are (attempted to be) so easily manipulated by people like this counsellor spewing their warped version of the facts to educate

seasider wrote:Effort would be better spent on educating the at risk heterosexuals, e.g., those that go to Batam to play "golf" and their poor wives.

(There ya go, sms, my first post in a LONG time. ;) )

exactly, quite a double standard here and good point, I've seen this a bit myself

It reminds of a long time ago, when a woman I was dating in Japan told of when her coworkers came back from a 'golf' trip to Thailand, where they bragged about "nama de yatta", or basically doing it without protection. Unbelieveable.

maybe you should post more often

I think the homosexual side is fairly academic (3 people I knew died from AIDS, one my college roommate) so SMS, if that's not too painful to share, please elaborate the hetero issue, my single days may be over soon but this is always good stuff to know

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 2:51 pm

EADG,

You asked and it is important........

My Sis-in-Law, (my wife's youngest sibling out of seven total) was a beautiful girl. Built like a brick....house - you know - not a brick out of place). That and the fact that she was the youngest child, she had been mollycoddled since birth. She grew up spoiled and stubborn.

Anyway, she liked her drink (stout inparticular) and her husband also. As well they dabbled in chemicals. The fights between them were constant. She took to working in bars as she loved the nightlife and it wasn't long before she was running around and due to her "physical assets" was a hit with the Expats in these bars. Eventually, she ended up in "a" one night stand that resulted in her contracting AIDS. (The key word here is "a" as in singular happenstance!) At the time, in the 6 years of reflection before her death, she had commented on the rashes the guy seemed to have on his arms. Which was explained away as something picked up when trekking in Malaysia - and her not being too smart and under the influence of alcohol and libido didn't think too much about it. The signs were there and commonsence and good judgement went straight out the window.

I don't blame her (I do for the indescretion that ultimately took my neice's mother away) for the oversight. It's just in this case she was married and didn't think about the possible consequences of her actions on her family. I bet each and every reader of this message, if they have ever had a sexual experience outside of the bands of marriage, can attest to the fact that when you are geared up, you mind is no longer using common sense and that also included the usage of protection (I mean if no condom is at hand - then stop and I mean full stop!). When we go out too a bar we are not going out usually with the intention of getting laid - well some of us aren't. ;) Those that are -- are usually carrying protection as well.

A lot of us go out and :cool: just get lucky. Problem is you are too inebriated to think clearly and passion takes over. Oh yeah, Expats are carriers here in Asia as well - lots of them. The damage wrought by "us" over the years is trememdous as we brought it here most likely. Just as it was brought into the US from Canada all those years ago (25-30? now) by a gay FA on a flight from Canada to the US. It came from Africa. It is a death sentence of the worst kind. And it cares not one iota who you are or your status in life.

Back to my Sis-in-Law. After eventually finding out about the disease - she was having weight loss for no apparent reason - confirmation shortly thereafter. She, unfortunately, continued to work in the same environment, continued to smoke and drink and generally did not care ( well, who could blame her? ) She was lucky as she was very healthy and the ravages of the disease only caused weight loss initially (4 years) that and the constant cocktail of drugs that she had to consume (using "drug" runs from thailand as the cocktail of prescriptions were a lot cheaper there.) Towards the end, we finally had to tell the daughter (my neice) just what was wrong with her mother.

The worst part about it was the ongoing ignorance of the population here. And I guess it's the same everywhere. My in-laws, like most, shunned her, and would not allow her to enter their homes. :( The only place she was allowed to visit among all the relatives was my house. I even had to re-educate my wife and mother-in-law with the help of a family friend (MD). We also had to teach my neice what / how she could interact with her mother. Often we allowed her to spend the weekend with her mother when she was home and towards the later stages, she would spend time with her at the CDC. (She was able to check herself in & out at will until the very late stages.)

She was a healthy girl who weighed probably 58kg in normal healthy mode who while still mobile and working eventually weighed only 35Kg and was still working (Her skin was still clear of lesions up this time) however after going into the the CDC the last time, she dropped to about 25 kg (my earlier post was an error) and looked about 95 years old and her body was completely covered with lesions. She actually looked "exactly" like the photos you see of unwrapped 'Mummies". But she was still breathing and alive in her mind. The best of the hollywood makeup artists could not have made it more horrifying.

As I said, the whole family with the exception of one brother in England, was bedside when she took her last breath.

If all of that isn't bad enough and hard enough on the neice, Try this on for size (will bring into context the show referenced in the thread). Three years ago my father-in-law passed away (My FiL & MiL ALSO lived with me - My wife and I are their sole support) after 3 years of being bedridden and 18 months of being tube fed by me and my wife (4th stages of Parkinsons & multiple stroke victim). The night my FiL died, I guess my sis-in-law and her nogood husband got drunk and had a physical relationship that night. Now he has to go every couple of months to see if he's HIV positive. It's been three years. Is he safe? It's anybodies guess as it can be dormant, inactive or just take more time to develop. Or it may never develop into full blown aids. This is even worse because it's then like the old scourge of Herpes. You can never get rid of it, but unlike Herpes which is only a problem if it's active, you can always pass HIV onwards and while it may never develop into AIDS in the carrier, the next receipient may well develop aids. Therein lies the problem. It could be you. Or your girlfriend. Or that new Girl you met last night. Or the guy who works in the cubicle next to you that you find so cute.

Sorry this is so long. Painful, only a bit (more compassion rather than pain), but more for my Wife - It was her sister. Had it been a blood relative yes it would be more painful for me as well.

If only one person learns something from this missive then the writing down of it will be worth it.

sms

Edited to add: Maybe it's time to bump an old thread or me to repost the original ariticle I wrote 8 years ago for those of us who are parents with pre-teens/young teens. If I can find it I'll post it in the Parenting Section.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 3:50 pm

Sms,
Your post only confirms and amplifies my cynicism about people, even if you were a doctor familiar with disease and took a platform in a public park, many would let your words go in one ear and out the other.

Any time I have been in Singapore, Thailand or The Philippines I have regularly been approached by prostitutes and worse pimps. No doubt the 'trade' is there and shame on the many business men amongst others who encourage such activities.

My concern and question is: how can we get it into the heads of people just what a risk they take when they have unprotected sex? Some people living in underdeveloped regions may be ignorant through no fault of their own but even those with access to all the necessary information still choose to imperil their lives.

A problem with government campaigns is: over indoctrination kill campaigns. I really do not think we can stop such a disease spreading, shame so many do not use a little common sense.

Plavt.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Tab TV, back to the medieval ages....

Postby Bremen » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:20 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
One scene, the interviewer (Chinese Singaporean female TV presenter, about 35 years old) is interviewing Izzy, Singapore infamous SPG who had a weblog that got famous here in Singapore some months ago. Izzy is 17 years old and had / has sex with different men.
Also on the show is Daphne Khoo, former Singapore Idol finalist, about 24 years old and female.

Naaah... I thought Izzy is 19, Daphne is 17
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't see how Izzy had so many expat boyfriends though. To me she's rather unattractive and I wouldn't have ever given her a second glance. I've seen her blog as well, I want a real woman! She's got the body of a pre-pubescent sub-teen. Might appeal to the Pedo crowd. :?

I though Daphne was only about 17 or 18? Wasn't she only 16 when she was on Singapore Idol? She was the youngest contestant, I remember that.

Regarding the age, you're right... Izzy is 19 or 20, Daphne is 17 or so.

As for Izzy's "look", i think this would tie in to that old thread we had on here regarding the "exotic" look a lot of caucasians new to asia go for. The one where anyone who's actually stayed in asia for a while would just say "Well, to me she's ugly... but to each their own i guess...".
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:26 pm

Izzy is 17 (mentioned a few times in the show), Daphne I am not sure.

Regarding her looks / attractiveness, that's all a matter of taste. But when hearing this girl speak and seeing her reactions on thise silly arguments from the flying dutchman and the counsellor, she looks quite matured for her young age. And she does whatever she feels like doing, she is happy with herself and she stands tall. She seems pretty self confident and her mentality is "western" in that sense. She is not at all bothered with things like "saving face" or other parts of her chinese background.

I think quite a few caucasians relate to such young independant nature of this woman.

Eric

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:55 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Izzy is 17 (mentioned a few times in the show), Daphne I am not sure.

Then the show was wrong...

if you check her page:
http://www.missizzy.org/

you'll find sections referring to "when i was 18"

And she contibuted to the straits times regarding the "Tammy NYP" affair, and she was listed as 19 there too

- Terry Pratchett

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:56 pm

Or I somehow don't hear well.... :D

Eric

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 8:58 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Or I somehow don't hear well.... :D

Eric

Old age creeping up? Or staring too hard at the TV, blanking out the sounds for the pretty pictures? ;)

- Terry Pratchett

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:EADG,

You asked and it is important........

The worst part about it was the ongoing ignorance of the population here. And I guess it's the same everywhere. ....You can never get rid of it, but unlike Herpes which is only a problem if it's active, you can always pass HIV onwards and while it may never develop into AIDS in the carrier, the next receipient may well develop aids. Therein lies the problem. It could be you. Or your girlfriend. Or that new Girl you met last night. Or the guy who works in the cubicle next to you that you find so cute.

Sorry this is so long.

If only one person learns something from this missive then the writing down of it will be worth it.

SMS, thanks for this, however difficult it was to write. It's not too long, it was every bit worth it. And it is very important.

The awareness thing is a double-edged sword, for people like you and I who have lost people close to us, the message is to be careful, very careful. The message as it gets unconstrued can result in mass paranioa, like the counsellor Eric mentioned.

But the heartbreak of it is, this could (maybe) have been prevented. In this day and age there's just no reason for unprotected sex with strangers. Easy for me to say growing up in NY in the post-disco years, where gays started dropping like flies and no one knew why (these were the days of Plato's Retreat and other such dens of iniquity).

Japan is a bomb waiting to go off as condoms are used for birth control but rarely safe sex, it still has not permeated the culture. I was surprised to learn that that is the case here as well.

I was lucky - my friend Pete died when I was in Japan and I only learned of it after I had just retured from the States for Christmas and there was no time to get back. My college friends who did go to see him said that I was better off not seeing him like that, he sounded much like your sister in law was.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:12 am

SMS, to share a personal perspective about Aids that is so close to home is both courageous and admirable.

I skimmed through Izzy's blog (is she the same person as other spg also with a blog? as their blogs seem similar.) What is scary is that both girls seem very promiscuous and if everything is to be taken at face value, started their sexual exploits at a fairly young age. Now having achieved a cetain level of notoriety, one has to wonder where are the parents in all of this?
One man's meat is another's poison.