Singapore Expats Forum

Who's in; who's out?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Who's in; who's out?

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:33 pm

As I sit here writing this, I can't quite believe we've let things get to this state.

Surely we can all take onboard our different views? That is, I believe, what we have all been calling out to do?

I take SE's point in that this IS a private board, but as the 'rules of behaviour' have never been ABSOLUTELY written down, (even though we know, and speak out clearly, when someone really oversteps unwritten, across the board of life rules) can't the ones now 'kicked into touch' be re-instated, and perhaps a fully informative set of directives be given to us on the board.

I know this will anger some, who think we should be free to voice any opinion....don't forget, most of us grew up thinking just that....yet we still would not willingly upset others with our views. Some will not want these restraints, if restraints they turn out to be....but we should be given them just the same....to see if we can live within them.

At the moment, it appears as if the choice in certain areas is being whisked away from us, and some of us don't know what we did to annoy in the first place......it's ok to have a problem pointed out to us, some faux pas we did, but if we were not aware beforehand that this behaviour would be untenable to 'the men and women in suits' ....then how do we know where not to tread?

Be fair; we've discussed almost everything on here. Some lighthearted, some very deep discussions.

Lot's of us have be p'd off at certain threads....me, Vauc, CD and Quasi had a good old go a few months ago......but look, we are still up and alive.

That's what we will lose if we we all go stomping off in high dudgeon.

So, I say, let us know EXACTLY what the boundaries are. If we don't like it, we can lump it.

Re-instate Eric and anyone else who's been sent to the wall.

All those in a mad mood because of what's been happening recently and are in the process of leaving; please, think again.

I can't think what else to say. I think the 'thinned' board would be a poor imitation of the electric circus we sometimes manage to conjour up on here.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:56 pm

Bubbles,

obviously you have read SE post on the thread below regarding "rules of conduct". If you haven't that is a good place to start. I could never put it across as well as SE or for that matter yourself. Both of you have a gift with language. It's a shame that all don't have the gift. Me included.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31698.html

Currently the score, if you will, stands and them 1, us 1. As of around 9 pm tonight a certain insensitive thorn in V's side has been banned as well. I told V I would try and I did.

Reinstatement has nothing to do with either SE or myself. This would depend on the sincerity of the individual concerned. That and the ability to have respect for others on the board.

Therein lies the rub. Why should we be allowed to upset a whole subset of regulars who don't bother anybody anywhere on the board? We went in there and really showed them "Respect" didn't we? We showed them how educated and superior we were by trashing them for their immaturity, their insecurity, their english or lack thereof, in fact everything about them. And what did we offer them in the way of constructive comment? Absolutely nothing. So, have we earned the right to be treated as free thinking responsible adults? I think not. (Obviously there are quite a few who have not posted a solitary comment on that thread). But then to actually start a poll to ban a whole thread on somebody elses privately owned site? Sorry, that's a bit over the top and not a responsible act at all.

It's sad to see some of the posters take their leave. It is their choice. I will miss all of them. Each one of them brought something special to the table in their own way.

sms