Singapore Expats Forum

PENALTY BOX FOR FORUMS

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

PENALTY BOX FOR FORUMS

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 5:53 pm

In light of the current situation with eric, CD et al do you think it would be a good idea if forums had a kind of penalty box whereby if a poster offends they are'sin-binned' for a certain length of time? Length of time in the 'bin' to be determined by the moderators. Then could also have a 3 strikes and your out scenario.

In eric's case I believe that sometimes an indiscretion should be overlooked, or at least not punished severely, in light of his usually outstanding contributions to this forum
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: PENALTY BOX FOR FORUMS

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 5:59 pm

CardZeus wrote:In light of the current situation with eric, CD et al do you think it would be a good idea if forums had a kind of penalty box whereby if a poster offends they are'sin-binned' for a certain length of time? Length of time in the 'bin' to be determined by the moderators. Then could also have a 3 strikes and your out scenario.

In eric's case I believe that sometimes an indiscretion should be overlooked, or at least not punished severely, in light of his usually outstanding contributions to this forum

I just posted essentially the same thing in the Dissappointed thread to SMS. I think the Mods should get thogether and come up with a code of conduct. It's hard to toe the line when they keep moving it.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 6:05 pm

A good idea, maybe a "yellow card" warning which lasts for a certain period of time, 2 yellows = Sin bin and so on.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 6:50 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I just posted essentially the same thing in the Dissappointed thread to SMS. I think the Mods should get thogether and come up with a code of conduct. It's hard to toe the line when they keep moving it.

Ahhh... such a simple idea... why didn't we think of it? There is a code of conduct but it is necessarily general, and thus open to interpretation.

One could make an extensive list of do's and don't's and I guarantee that the next day there would be another situation not thought of that would pop up. Moreover, no matter how extensive the code of conduct might be, it must still be interpreted.

Of course, one solution would be to act like the "angry board". Black and white... zero tolerance for the most minor of offenses.

I find this to be very unsatisfactory. Instead, the board admins occasionally offer posters the opportunity to become moderators. There are no hard and fast rules... except that the moderator must show some maturity, even handedness, and common sense.

It is then up to the mods to decide, within the context of the code of conduct as posted, what is in bounds and what is out of bounds. As moderators are fallible humans, there must be a recourse, and there is. It is to post objections to the manner in which posts are deleted/edited.

Now perhaps this is not the "justice" meted out by a judge and jury but there are built in checks and balances. Moderators can and have been upbraided because, in part, the success of this board is dependent upon a lively and open debate, free of excess control.

For my part, I think a code of conduct can be easily defined for each and every user. It is this: Would you make the statement that you are about to submit to the poster if you were sitting in front of him/her drinking a beer? If the answer is yes, then the post is probably OK. If not, then the question becomes, "Why would you post something that you would not say face to face?"

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rose_YG » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 6:56 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I just posted essentially the same thing in the Dissappointed thread to SMS. I think the Mods should get thogether and come up with a code of conduct. It's hard to toe the line when they keep moving it.

Ahhh... such a simple idea... why didn't we think of it? There is a code of conduct but it is necessarily general, and thus open to interpretation.

One could make an extensive list of do's and don't's and I guarantee that the next day there would be another situation not thought of that would pop up. Moreover, no matter how extensive the code of conduct might be, it must still be interpreted.

Of course, one solution would be to act like the "angry board". Black and white... zero tolerance for the most minor of offenses.

I find this to be very unsatisfactory. Instead, the board admins occasionally offer posters the opportunity to become moderators. There are no hard and fast rules... except that the moderator must show some maturity, even handedness, and common sense.

It is then up to the mods to decide, within the context of the code of conduct as posted, what is in bounds and what is out of bounds. As moderators are fallible humans, there must be a recourse, and there is. It is to post objections to the manner in which posts are deleted/edited.

Now perhaps this is not the "justice" meted out by a judge and jury but there are built in checks and balances. Moderators can and have been upbraided because, in part, the success of this board is dependent upon a lively and open debate, free of excess control.

For my part, I think a code of conduct can be easily defined for each and every user. It is this: Would you make the statement that you are about to submit to the poster if you were sitting in front of him/her drinking a beer? If the answer is yes, then the post is probably OK. If not, then the question becomes, "Why would you post something that you would not say face to face?"

Take it a bit further and ask yourself: Would you discuss when feeling personally offended, or would you try and ban the person from the bar?
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:03 pm

Rose_YG wrote:Take it a bit further and ask yourself: Would you discuss when feeling personally offended, or would you try and ban the person from the bar?

If it were my bar, I might simply throw them out. It would depend entirely on past history and the current situation.

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Postby brifusg » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 1:09 am

CardZeus wrote:In light of the current situation with eric, CD et al do you think it would be a good idea if forums had a kind of penalty box whereby if a poster offends they are'sin-binned' for a certain length of time? Length of time in the 'bin' to be determined by the moderators. Then could also have a 3 strikes and your out scenario.

What is eric's case? It will be easier for other members to follow if you make it clearer so at least they should know what to avoid...