Singapore Expats Forum

Is there faith left in this world?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Is there faith left in this world?

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:25 am

For goodness sakes, you either believe Jesus was the son of God or not. I don't think pointing out that Jesus might have actually been walking on ice is in the spirit of the thing.:???:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060404/ ... entistsays

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 8:49 am

What has faith got to do with Jesus?

Religion may be a manifiestation of faith, but faith is an internally generated phenomenon that enables humankind to go forward.

People strive for certainty and security in their lives, and yet there really is none in this world. Those who would seek to shelter themselves form the uncertainty in this world often turn to religion as the shelter... a framework of certainty that one may have faith in... faith that the world will be a secure place.

Starting a business requires faith... faith that things will turn out all right in spite of the numerous uncertainties. At one level, faith is belief in one's self and capabilities. At another level, faith is the belief that the currents of the world will come together to make whatever one is doing a success.

Now, the currents of the world can also be considered the hand of God or perhaps it is Spirit. It is faith in the larger unfolding events that allow people to take risk.

Faith is the antidote to fear. Some people find Jesus as a suitable focal point for faith... whether he walks on water or ice or green jello is irrelevant.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:05 am

Strong Eagle wrote:What has faith got to do with Jesus?

Faith is the antidote to fear. Some people find Jesus as a suitable focal point for faith... whether he walks on water or ice or green jello is irrelevant.


While yours might be taken as a cynical view, I don't entirely disagree. My point is, you either believe Jesus walked on water and take it on faith or you abandon faith in hopes to explain it by scientific means.

I believe it takes faith to believe in Jesus so faith has everything to do with Jesus.

Faith is defined as a belief in God.

User avatar
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:16 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What has faith got to do with Jesus?

Faith is the antidote to fear. Some people find Jesus as a suitable focal point for faith... whether he walks on water or ice or green jello is irrelevant.


While yours might be taken as a cynical view, I don't entirely disagree. My point is, you either believe Jesus walked on water and take it on faith or you abandon faith in hopes to explain it by scientific means.

I believe it takes faith to believe in Jesus so faith has everything to do with Jesus.

Faith is defined as a belief in God.


And what of the people around during Jesus' time? They weren't required to have faith - they apparently witnessed Jesus walk on water, turn water into wine, feed 5000 with some fishes and loaves, heal the sick, raise the dead - no faith required then. Faith is certainly a requirement now for a belief in Jesus as the acts ascribed to him are indeed miraculous; however if time travel were possible and we sent, say, David Blaine back to that time - I'm sure he'd have no trouble passing himself off as the Son of God - which brings me to the question - how do we know that Jesus was not just a very adept con-man/magician, after all we know virtually nothing about his early years; perhaps they were spent mastering his art...
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Bedford Falls

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:20 am

CardZeus wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What has faith got to do with Jesus?

Faith is the antidote to fear. Some people find Jesus as a suitable focal point for faith... whether he walks on water or ice or green jello is irrelevant.


While yours might be taken as a cynical view, I don't entirely disagree. My point is, you either believe Jesus walked on water and take it on faith or you abandon faith in hopes to explain it by scientific means.

I believe it takes faith to believe in Jesus so faith has everything to do with Jesus.

Faith is defined as a belief in God.


And what of the people around during Jesus' time? They weren't required to have faith - they apparently witnessed Jesus walk on water, turn water into wine, feed 5000 with some fishes and loaves, heal the sick, raise the dead - no faith required then. Faith is certainly a requirement now for a belief in Jesus as the acts ascribed to him are indeed miraculous; however if time travel were possible and we sent, say, David Blaine back to that time - I'm sure he'd have no trouble passing himself off as the Son of God - which brings me to the question - how do we know that Jesus was not just a very adept con-man/magician, after all we know virtually nothing about his early years; perhaps they were spent mastering his art...


Or, if Jesus was able to walk on ice, wouldn't the next guy say: that looks like fun! Next thing you know everyone's kicked off their sandals, hiked up their robes and turned it into a Dutch skating party.

User avatar
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:23 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Or, if Jesus was able to walk on ice, wouldn't the next guy say: that looks like fun! Next thing you know everyone's kicked off their sandals, hiked up their robes and turned it into a Dutch skating party.


Not necessarily - if they were used to said water being water and had no experience of the water freezing, and indeed no knowledge of ice at all, then I expect they'd be in awe at the sight of Jesus walking on 'water'
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

User avatar
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 9:49 am

"Going to church may extend life"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4876666.stm

Proof that God exists???
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Postby Bremen » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:01 am

He was a timetraveller with an antigravity belt, sent to steer humanity away from a future where wars are destroying the earth and machines are taking over. :cool:



Wait.. Isn't that happening anyway?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun, 26 Dec 2004

...

Postby ringo100 » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:22 pm

Faith is a state of mind that leads people to believe something - it doesn't matter what - in the total absence of supporting evidence, even in spite of the evidence.

Faith is what allows children to believe in Farther Christmas. It is funny how we teach our children question the world and help them develop an enquiring mind but then when they question religion we say “you can’t question it, just have faith”

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: ...

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:30 pm

ringo100 wrote:Faith is a state of mind that leads people to believe something - it doesn't matter what - in the total absence of supporting evidence, even in spite of the evidence.


A great description of faith. Without faith who would venture out into any kind of risk? Without faith, how could you marry and have children? Without faith how can you jump off the 10 meter platform for the first time? Without faith, how can you trust someone?

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun, 26 Dec 2004

Postby ringo100 » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:44 am

I take a different spin on this.

I think a sensible investor takes a new venture very cautiously and investors I work with have very little faith and demand thorough due diligence before setting off. Those who just have faith, sometimes succeed but not nearly as much as those who don't.

Marriage is a good example and maybe is an example of why less people are getting married, because most people know it won't last. Faith in marriage is being eroded by the increase in breakups.

Having children is a not a question of faith; it is the reason for our existence. We are programmed to have children. This is one of our strongest natural urges.

I have never seen any who has never seen a 10m diving board, climb up and jump first time. They always watch many people; get to the point where they know it is safe; then go and jump. It was always the tribal idiot who had faith ate the unknown green berries then died. The smart ones waited until another idiot comes along, ate the unknown red berry and lived.

Trust should be earnt.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests