Singapore Expats Forum

Hot & Spicy! :wink:

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Hot & Spicy! :wink:

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 3:51 pm

Here's a piece of news.... I am glad I love chillies :wink:

Hot pepper kills prostate cancer cells in study

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060316/ts_ ... rostate_dc

Oh, I have a co-worker's family member working in a lab, for some giant food co. who exported out to Europe, with the NO MSG label. I was told that the lab report is fake, the product has MSG, or it wouldn't taste good at all! What would you do? Would you report them and be prepared to fight with their top notch lawyers? Or you just let it rest?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 3:59 pm

That is the thing with deception. You will always need another lie/deception to cover up the previous one. Since we live within a larger social unit, whether you lie or tell the truth, there will always be another being within your circle who knows about it and he/she will go blab it out. And in order to prevent her from spreading it, you have to find a way to cover it.

To keep our lives simple, I would say honesty is the best policy :D .

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:20 pm

Have to depend is it wroth doing it or not?

But the company should not have do that - using a fake label.

May be you would like to share with us what kind of gaint food is that so people can be aware of it.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:35 pm

I'm confused -- is the pepper story related to the MSG story?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:43 pm

What's the connection between the two??

As for MSG:

Depends... does it say "No MSG!" or "No added MSG!"

There's a very fine line there...
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:45 pm

No Mary, they are not related, except that Hot pepper is a kind of spice we often use with food, and that reminds me of MSG.

Of coz, one's seems to be good news, and the latter is about deception in the food industry.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:48 pm

Bremen wrote:What's the connection between the two??

As for MSG:

Depends... does it say "No MSG!" or "No added MSG!"

There's a very fine line there...

Ok, care to explain the fine line between No MSG and No MSG added? Do they not mean the same?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:51 pm

Ling2 wrote:
Ok, care to explain the fine line between No MSG and No MSG added? Do they not mean the same?

No MSG means there's absolutely no MSG at all in the product.

No added MSG means that no MSG was added to the product mix, but there CAN be MSG in the pre-mixed spices they get from their suppliers. They're basically saying "We didn't add any more than whatever's there already"
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks Bremen :) I see the difference now.

It's really misleading, like saying no sugar added? no artificial colouring added? no preservative added? etc etc doesn't necessary means it's free of the those.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:01 pm

Ling2 wrote:Thanks Bremen :) I see the difference now.

It's really misleading, like saying no sugar added? no artificial colouring added? no preservative added? etc etc doesn't necessary means it's free of the those.

Not misleading, you just have to put your 'game face' on when you do your marketing. Most people are tragically misinformed about what's in the food they eat.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:08 pm

Exactly... It's not really misleading, it just relies on the gullability of the consumer. They're technically telling you the exact truth... They didn't add anything. ;)

So the "No added MSG!" instant noodles may not list MSG in their ingredients, but they'll have "flavors and spices", which may contain quite a bit of MSG judging by the sodium content listed for the noodles.

- Terry Pratchett

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:10 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:

Not misleading, you just have to put your 'game face' on when you do your marketing. Most people are tragically misinformed about what's in the food they eat.

You are right Mary, did I ever mention I dislike shopping & marketing? :? I eat out the whole time, so guess the labels doesn't really help me :mrgreen: but it's good to know :)

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Postby elizabeth » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:11 pm

Bremen wrote:

No MSG means there's absolutely no MSG at all in the product.

No added MSG means that no MSG was added to the product mix, but there CAN be MSG in the pre-mixed spices they get from their suppliers. They're basically saying "We didn't add any more than whatever's there already"[/quote]

Thank Bremen for the information. No wonder KOKA even stated no added MGS but still so tasty.. :shock:

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:14 pm

elizabeth wrote:Thank Bremen for the information. No wonder KOKA even stated no added MGS but still so tasty.. :shock:

The trick is to look at the sodium content.

- Terry Pratchett

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:15 pm

Ling2 wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:

You are right Mary, did I ever mention I dislike shopping & marketing? :? I eat out the whole time, so guess the labels doesn't really help me :mrgreen: but it's good to know :)

I don't exactly love marketing either, but if you eat out all the time you are really at the mercy of whoever is in in the kitchen... I have a friend here who is allergic to MSG. There are very, very few places she can eat out in Singapore. Virtually all hawker stalls use MSG very liberally. Not good for her or anyone really.