Singapore Expats Forum

Iraqi Security Forces

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Iraqi Security Forces

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:03 am

The news ticker on Iraqi TV said:

وزارة الدفاع تدعو المواطنين الى عدم الانصياع لاوامر دوريات الجيش والشرطة الليلية اذا لم تكن برفقة قوات التحالف العاملة في تلك المنطقة
The translation:

“The Ministry of Defense requests that civilians do not comply with the orders of the army or police on nightly patrols unless they are accompanied by coalition forces working in that area.”
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:05 am

by the way I don't like your avatar. Not nice for the monkeys.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:10 am

Carpe Diem wrote:by the way I don't like your avatar. Not nice for the monkeys.

:D :lol: :D
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:21 am

It is actually a chimpanzee :D . I mean the one with black fur .

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 2:24 pm

Cardzeus - what do you suggest? Will there be MORE or LESS bloodshed of innocent Iraqis if all the coalition forces pull out right now? I honestly don't profess to have an opinion either way, just wondering what others think would be the best solution at this point in time.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 3:13 pm

Wham wrote:Cardzeus - what do you suggest? Will there be MORE or LESS bloodshed of innocent Iraqis if all the coalition forces pull out right now? I honestly don't profess to have an opinion either way, just wondering what others think would be the best solution at this point in time.

Maybe the coalition forces should pull out and be replaced by UN forces; the majority of which should be arab speaking. Iraq splits into 3 separate countries, Shia, Sunni and Kurd. Billions of dollars of 'aid' do not go unaccounted for; major contracts are tendered with LOCAL companies able to gain contracts (Halliburton should be excluded from these tenders - as well as any other company with links to Bush and his cronies). The USA does not build 14 permanent bases and use Iran as a Middle East base for further incursions. Just some 'ideas'...

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 3:37 pm

Generally good ideas. However, there are no UN/Arab speaking forces that i know of that are willing for such a task - let alone capable of such a task. And as you point out above, even the Iraqi forces that ARE being raised are completely ineffective - and these are Iraqis who presumably have some interest in the future of their country...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 9:02 pm

It would be totally impossible for UN forces, let alone UN Arab forces to police Iraq. They are neither capable or would they be willing. The different Muslim factions seem to hate each other more than they hate the Americans.

It still amazes me that the biggest donators of money to Palestine and other desperate Muslim causes i.e. tsunami etc. are western countries.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: ...

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 9:29 pm

ringo100 wrote:It would be totally impossible for UN forces, let alone UN Arab forces to police Iraq. They are neither capable or would they be willing. The different Muslim factions seem to hate each other more than they hate the Americans.

It still amazes me that the biggest donators of money to Palestine and other desperate Muslim causes i.e. tsunami etc. are western countries.

Why should it amaze you? Western Countries have always come to the aid of anybody who is in distress. Even our detractors (wanted to say enemies but maybe that's too strong). It's always been said that life is considered cheap in Asia (disclaimer! I didn't say it) while the west values all life. (we won't talk about the death penalty here okay!)

I will agree however that it seems that you are correct in your assumption about the different Iraqi factions hating each other even more. Strange.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:07 pm

It is so much what western countries give in aid that amazes me, as the little amount these super rich Arab states give.

It was ironic that Palestinians were cheering after 9/11 and burning western flags in the street, yet the food they eat and even their whole existence is due to the financial support of the US and the EU.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: ...

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:11 pm

ringo100 wrote:It is so much what western countries give in aid that amazes me, as the little amount these super rich Arab states give.

It was ironic that Palestinians were cheering after 9/11 and burning western flags in the street, yet the food they eat and even their whole existence is due to the financial support of the US and the EU.

Absolutely right - what is alao amazing is that the Red crescent lags way behind the red Cross in relief operations, even in muslim countries. Ah bugger it - it's just too annoying to contemplate.

What to do with Iraq? The country needs a strong leader. One who will unite the country and . . . damn . . . had that.

Seriously, it's a rats nest - I really don't believe there is much to do aside from dividing it into three separate states.

It's the Brits fault, of course.

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:27 pm

CardZeus wrote:Iraq splits into 3 separate countries, Shia, Sunni and Kurd.

This will never happen because it leaves all the oil to the Sunnis and basically leaves the Shites with desert. Further, if the Jurds acheived autonomy it would seriously destabilize Turkey where the Kurd "problem" has existed for decades. So nobody is going to support this one.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:05 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
CardZeus wrote:Iraq splits into 3 separate countries, Shia, Sunni and Kurd.

This will never happen because it leaves all the oil to the Sunnis and basically leaves the Shites with desert. Further, if the Jurds acheived autonomy it would seriously destabilize Turkey where the Kurd "problem" has existed for decades. So nobody is going to support this one.

Shite happens.

( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

You are right, of course.

'nuff said Image

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:24 pm

Spot on, Mr Typo!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant