Singapore Expats Forum

Passing the Baton

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Passing the Baton

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 8:25 am

As many of you know, my parents were just here in Singapore for a few weeks and their visit brings up all kinds of raw, tender feelings. Because they are my parents, and they lived through the Depression and WWII and Korea for that matter, I do consider them the 'Greatest Generation.'

And so they age, and we, their children age and the baton is passed from their generation to ours. Scary stuff. Here's a little story that sums it up nicely (if I posted it before, forgive me):

A dear friend of mine, while working as a sales rep in the 90s had a few minutes between appointments and needed to use a pay phone, so she wondered into a VFW hall (Veterens of Foreign Wars). She is a curvy statuesque gorgeous blonde (not the emo, waifish, heroin-addict lolly pop heads worshipped today) and is used to a bit of attention.

As she approached the front door, it swung open and an older gentlemen (in his 70s or so and wearing some type of military insignia to indicate he was, indeed a veteran), held the door open for her in a grand, sweeping gesture and when she thanked him he said: 'the pleasure is all mine young lady'. He was not lecherous mind you, just kind and thoughtful.

She made her calls but was nagged by a sinking sadness she couldn't pinpoint or shake off. She left the hall, after passing a few more vets enjoying coffee after their meeting, got back in her car and cried like a baby for 20 minutes. Her lament? 'Who? Who will take care of us when they are gone?

So Mike Wallace has retired, and you can never go home again and the question is: now that we are in charge what will we do with our short time here? Are there contemporaries we hold up as positive icons of our generation? That we are proud of? If pushed by history to extraordinary circumstances, would we come out the other end, our dignity in tact?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 9:15 am

Depressing . . .

'nuff said Image

NoGood

Passing the Baton

Postby NoGood » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 9:38 am

Mary Hatch Bailey:

You amuse me. Who isn't spared during war? :lol:

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Passing the Baton

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:15 am

NoGood wrote: Who isn't spared during war? :lol:

erm...shurely shome mishtake??
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 3:42 pm

Sigh ......... this post brings to my mind John Bogle. I am not a finance guru and from the little bit that I know of him, I have a lot of admiration for. He used to be a legend in the investment world.

He started the Vanguard company. His approach is down-to-earth and straight forward. He constantly reminds people to stick to the basic (as in basic values). A very principled man who may not fit very well within the modern Corporate American culture.

I greatly share his view that top corporate executives in USA are grossly overpaid and disparity in wages between the top tier and the bottom tiers is a big cause of concern. Those at the top are getting richer while benefits to the general workers (pension and health insurrance) are getting cut. What kind of message are they sending? The health and well-being of the average worker is not as important as beefing up the package of the top executives who are already living in multi million mansions.

I would not have worried so much if not for the fact that Corporate America has a huge influence all over the world. Buisnesses around the world tend to emulate what it does.

Even Japan, a country that prides itself as being a one-class society, is not spared and going down the same path. More and more businesses/developers are directing their efforts to cater to the Japanese wealthy and coming up with products and luxurious residential complexes like Roppongi (which has its own museum and cinema) while more and more Japanese are finding it harder to make ends meet.

I used to subsribed to a newsletter which pointed out that John Bogle was unceremoniously booted out of the company as the younger blood thinks he is too old-fashion for the modern corporate culture.

I once saw him being interviwed by one of the major network news-type program. To me, he does not come across as debonair or polished as some of the top American CEOs but just a very down-to-earth type of person with a very deep sense of mission and conviction. And I liked what I saw in him.

Don't know how many Enrons will it take before the general populace rise in revolt and say enough's enough.

And as a mother of two toddlers, I feel a need to prepare them for the new world. Should I continue imparting to them values like fair play and being benevolent (a very Chinese concept and yes, I know most of you probably do not believe it but I still want to point it out)?

Sigh!

http://www.time.com/time/archive/previe ... 10,00.html

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Passing the Baton

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:09 pm

NoGood wrote:Mary Hatch Bailey:

You amuse me. Who isn't spared during war? :lol:

I have no idea what this means and why are you laughing out loud?