Singapore Expats Forum

Another Reason to Love George Clooney

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Another Reason to Love George Clooney

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 7:34 am

Here's the gist:

A website called gawker.com relies on tips from users to physically track celebrity A-listers. They even publis a map. George asked fans to send in fake 'sightings' to flood the site, which of course they did in spades. Read on:

http://www.gawker.com/news/george-cloon ... 164651.php

So here's the bigger issue: When does celebrity stalking go too far?

When Diana is dead in the back seat? When The Star publishes a picture of Halle Barry with a big booger in her nose? When is not the 'price to pay for being famous' and something else entirely? Something criminal?
Last edited by Mary Hatch Bailey on Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:31 pm

I'm sorry, I don't need any MORE reasons to love the gorgeous one.

Apart from looking well, gorgeous, he's funny, world aware, never spills the beans about his lady loves, and if the stories are correct.............

Well, ...................

Not going any further here.....................
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:43 pm

Don't forget self-depricating and the most attactive thing of all: comfortable in his own skin. Yum.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:49 pm

Oh Yum definitely. Could I just say he's almost a cartoon version of the tall, dark and handsome 'Gentleman?'.........unfair that there's only one of him.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 4:51 pm

Bubbles wrote:Oh Yum definitely. Could I just say he's almost a cartoon version of the tall, dark and handsome 'Gentleman?'.........unfair that there's only one of him.

Yes, like Clark Gable and Cary Grant all rolled into one.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Another Reason to Love George Clooney

Postby CardZeus » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 5:36 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:So here's the bigger issue: When does celebrity stalking go too far?

When Diana is dead in the back seat? When The Star publishes a picture of Halle Barry with a big booger in her nose? When is not the 'price to pay for being famous' and something else entirely? Something criminal?

With celebrity usually comes heaps of money - I have no sympathy for them - if they want privacy they should have thought oif that before embarking on their chosen careers. When you step out of your home you enter the public domain. I can't see how it could ever be called 'criminal' unless of course you're using a telephoto lens to 'spy' on people in their bath/.bedrooms. One only becomes 'famous' by a certain amount of exposure to the public be it through movies, news etc etc., so IMHO they can't have it both ways - on the one hand go out of their way to invite publicity and then in the next breath complain of harassment by the paparazzi. Go live on a deserted island if you want privacy - you can afford it :wink:
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 6:12 pm

So is it celebrities that don't get your sympathy or anyone who is rich? I think a site that plots someones every motion on a map is creepy.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 8:21 pm

George Clooney: one word- yummylicious.
One man's meat is another's poison.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:03 pm

Ah George....hmmm....of course there is always Pierce....dream on...my two faves...and to think I never watched ER, didn't realise what I was missing out on all that time!

As for the paparazzi etc I think some of it is way over the top, to the point of being obscene. Yes, being a celebrity (of any sort) does mean being in the spotlight but it does not mean they have to do so 24 hours a day.

They. like any human being. deserve some privacy and a life as well.

When you see how those photographers act and how some of the people are hounded all to come up with some godawful photo as they put out the rubbish or something (and who looks a million dollars at a time like that) and then the garbage papers/mags make up some pathetic story to go with it, well, it is just sick.

Yes, I know lots of people read those mags, but most would be happy with a few happy snaps of their faves doing normal things, only the ones who are just as bad as the people who produce the magazines are the ones who want the crappy stories/pics.

As for that website MHB, wow, I find that realy scary...I think GC did a brilliant thing with them!

Oops, got carried away again...sorry for ranting...
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:31 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:So is it celebrities that don't get your sympathy or anyone who is rich? I think a site that plots someones every motion on a map is creepy.

Someone born rich or having richness thrust upon them does not invite celebrity, however they are less likely to be harassed as they don't have the same pulling power as the famously rich. So, yes, they do get my sympathy.
Of course we can all have our locations mapped if we're in possession of a mobile phone... I agree that it's a bit much sometimes, but as long as there's no 'ulterior motive' other than making money from the sale of such information/pictures then for me it's part and parcel of being famous. People achieve fame and fortune through exposure to the public, and generally welcome it when they're on 'the way up' - it's a bit cynical to then say "Ok I'm famous now (and rich) - leave me alone" don't you think??
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 4:16 am

OK, back to serious matters...........

Girls...(esp. MHB)...what can I say?

(Without drooling, that is?)

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:24 am

I know I've posted this before but in case you missed it, I'll let you into a secret Bubbs. George is known as my Hollywood boyfriend at home. :mrgreen:
One man's meat is another's poison.