Singapore Expats Forum

A Million Little Pieces

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

A Million Little Pieces

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 8:43 pm

Wasn't there a thread on this? I couldn't find it. I'm half way through. Here's why I think Oprah is an idiot: it's embellished, so what? it is still a very powerful read. What I don't understand is why his publisher wanted him to change it's classification from a work of fiction to an autobiography?

Who else has read it?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: A Million Little Pieces

Postby Quasimodo » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 8:51 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Wasn't there a thread on this? I couldn't find it. I'm half way through. Here's why I think Oprah is an idiot: it's embellished, so what? it is still a very powerful read. What I don't understand is why his publisher wanted him to change it's classification from a work of fiction to an autobiography?

Who else has read it?

I don't read anything that self-important, bloated affirmative action discriminatory cow suggests.

'nuff said!
One in the hand is worth two of something

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 8:56 pm

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=

Here is the link to the Smoking Gun article.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/01 ... frey1.html

Still one of the most stirring books I've ever read. Enjoy MHB.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 9:01 pm

Quasi, that's a bit harsh. She's done a lot of good for a lot of people, I just can't watch her anymore. I've liked many of her literary pics. I reread To Kill A Mockingbird on my vacation. Was inspired by the movie Capote. It was even better than I remember. I may rered In Cold Blood next.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 9:06 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Quasi, that's a bit harsh. She's done a lot of good for a lot of people, I just can't watch her anymore. I've liked many of her literary pics. I reread To Kill A Mockingbird on my vacation. Was inspired by the movie Capote. It was even better than I remember. I may rered In Cold Blood next.

To Kill A Mocking Bird?

MHB you have won me over.

Leave that nun-punching wonderful MrBailey ( who occasionally lurks in the background on a photo ).

Be with Mr.CleanlinessIsNextToGodliness.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 9:06 pm

No, Mary, haven't read the one you mentioned. Has anyone read 'Poisonwood Bible?' I ask cos it's the pick of my book group and I've heard tales about it.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 9:06 pm

The 2 worst sentences a man will hear.

1. Honey we need to talk...

2. Honey I was watching Oprah today....

She has empowered a lot of people, men and women. What she is doing at the moment to capture child molesters (she is giving $100,000 of her own money for information that leads to an arrest) is simply amazing.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 04 Apr 2006 7:14 am

tiki wrote:To Kill A Mocking Bird?

MHB you have won me over.

Leave that nun-punching wonderful MrBailey ( who occasionally lurks in the background on a photo ).

Be with Mr.CleanlinessIsNextToGodliness.

Why is it so good? Is it that Scout's voice is so pure? Is it the message of the evil's of racism? Is it that Harper Lee was able to convey Atticus as strong and noble even though the narrator didn't understand? Is it Jem's and Scout's relationship? Is it that we all have a Boo Radley in our lives?

Damn it was good, better the second time. Have you ever heard the theory that it was actually written by Capote? Why was it her only book?

Bubbs, have not read Poisonwood Bible but people love it. Let me know what you think.