Singapore Expats Forum

Wake up & smell the flowers!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Wake up & smell the flowers!

Postby Ling2 » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 1:57 pm

This was ringing in my mind this morning....

It was an outcry from a woman who called into the radio station. She sounded really pissed & keep asking the listener or RDJ to WAKE UP.

I am curious, thus I went to the park this weekend and tried to smell the lilies. It normally has great scent but I couldn't smell anything! :???:

I looked around, no others were smelling any flowers. Set me thinking, who are the one that really slow down and appreciate the nature?

Is it the rich & famous? they probably too busy in the limelight to do so? but they are probably the one that can mostly afford to do so?

Can't be the family that's struggling to survive ends meet? they are probably pre-occuppied with thoughts of how to feed their kids? and the least likely to smell the flowers?

So, just coz we have the chance to smell some wild flowers, does it make us a "better" person than those who doesn't have a chance to do so? Do you feel angry when they don't smell any flowers? :-| Do you think they have not truly live their life then?

Do you have time to smell any flowers lately?

(Have work crisis, escaping to hide in forum) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 3:26 pm

I like to buy flowers for my gf for no reason at all & then the flat smells of flowers for a few days.

But to be honest Ling I can't remember the last time I stopped & smelt a flower while out & about.

I do remember having walked for a few miles as a student & grumbling to myself about how I should have got a bus & how much hassle it was walking, then I walked past a guy in a wheelchair & told myself to stop complaining.

Life can be wonderful sometimes, doesn't have to be flowers, can just be a laugh or a smile. You just need the awareness to realise that it is important.

:)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 4:27 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Life can be wonderful sometimes, doesn't have to be flowers, can just be a laugh or a smile. You just need the awareness to realise that it is important.

:)

So true....Has anyone watched the movie 'Pay it forward'

It's just amazing when someone's kind to you, and it is equally amazing when you treat others as you would want to be treated.

- I try to make it a point to greet the bus driver everyday.
- To be door-man as many times as I can
- Smile\wave at kids...

Without meanning to be loud.. we do expect our work to be appreciated each day at office....but how many times have you appreciated a grass-cutter or the garbage collector.

It can get all the more better you knw....and beautiful....an added bonus to flowers, moonlight and the rest :D

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 4:38 pm

Hi Ling
Funny you should mention that. As a writer I tend to spend long periods of time stuck in front of the p.c. Of course, many times in the course of a week, say, you look at the screen and think 'What next?' and it becomes the equivelent of the blank page. There's nothing more to do than to get up, put my coat on, and go out for a walk to bring back new images into my head. (Have you read 'The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron?) In this book, even though it's common sense anyway, she advises artists, and anyone who's stuck, and is able to do so, to walk outside and look at the flowers. Not in a 60's Hippie way, but to REALLY look at the flowers. Not spending your whole life going around sniffing blooms, but for half an hours, a short stoll.

I read the book and though, 'Yeah, right!' I was very cynical about the whole thing. But.....it is TRUE. If you are fed up, lost, or just stuck, go out. No, it doesn't matter if you're not in the country, the city will do, as plants, trees, grass count too, and flowers in shops, or or tables in restaurants, or weeds....anything botanical really.

This last week I've been out round my way. Of course, I live in a country town and it's easy for me to pop to the green fields, the ocean, the mountains are near by too, but this week I've seen.....daffodils...they smell so beautiful and their flowers are 'crispy' and vigourous....also the primroses are out here...they hardly smell but are so velvety...the daisies are out, no smell but so pretty...and the appleblossoms and flowering trees are just about blooming....and some have perfumes, and their pale pinkness makes you think glad thoughts.

So, yes, this last week especially 'smelling the flowers' has been high on my list.

I know this will make me seem as if I'm a weird person, but nature really does help calm the mind, and you come back with images which will spur your mind on to help you progress in your daily workaday life.

Sorry if I'm going on a bit, but it is a wonderful world....if only we look for it.

GODDESS GARDEN

Speak not-whisper not:

Here blowest thyme and bergamot:

Softly on the evening hour

Sweet herbs their spices shower

(Walter De La Mare)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 5:51 pm

Kats_ wrote:
So true....Has anyone watched the movie 'Pay it forward'

It's just amazing when someone's kind to you, and it is equally amazing when you treat others as you would want to be treated.

- I try to make it a point to greet the bus driver everyday.
- To be door-man as many times as I can
- Smile\wave at kids...

Without meanning to be loud.. we do expect our work to be appreciated each day at office....but how many times have you appreciated a grass-cutter or the garbage collector.

It can get all the more better you knw....and beautiful....an added bonus to flowers, moonlight and the rest :D

Oh Kats, the movie is my all time favourite and I love what you wrote.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 6:01 pm

OK, try this everyone....(and perhaps certain everyone's who are involved in chucking peeps off places!!).....

Today, when you go out....SMILE....at everyone. NO, NOT A GREAT BIG 'I'M TOTALLY INSANE AND JUST OUT ON A DAYTRIP FROM THE ASYLUM' smile................just a little shy smile will do.

You'll be AMAZED at how many peeps will smile back, and talk to you too.

Do it to everyone, really, and it will make the smiling you do genuine.

So, today, 3rd April, I rename.....

International Smiling Day.

(No, not on the vino YET.)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:31 pm

Bubbs I had done that before hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right in Singapore, most busy area, City Hall. I got many funny looks though :lol: :lol: :lol: That's more than 3 years ago I think.

I agreed with finding peace with the nature. I feel most peaceful & joyful when I am at the beach or hiking up the mountains :) It just seem like they are always smiling at you, welcoming you, never demeaning, never judgmental, never hurry never lonely :)