Singapore Expats Forum

Digital Camera

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10731
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Thanks!

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Apr 2006 7:00 am

tinyfingers wrote:Thanks so much for the enthusiastic replies...

How abt panasonic? Perhaps FX8 or 9? anyone has any comment on it?

Im looking at Canon Ixus 50 or 60 too.... comments?


I'd disagree with Bremen. Panasonics are better than Canon.

Leica lenses. Image stabilization. Excellent color saturation. Good program modes. A case that is easier to hold with one hand than the Canon. I own the FX8 and have given away FX9 and FX01 as gifts.

FX01 is the latest. Has a 28 to 102 zoom. All other compact cameras have 35 to 110. Much better wide angle.

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Re: Thanks!

Postby Bremen » Tue, 11 Apr 2006 9:30 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I'd disagree with Bremen. Panasonics are better than Canon.

Leica lenses. Image stabilization. Excellent color saturation. Good program modes. A case that is easier to hold with one hand than the Canon. I own the FX8 and have given away FX9 and FX01 as gifts.

FX01 is the latest. Has a 28 to 102 zoom. All other compact cameras have 35 to 110. Much better wide angle.


I actually find the color saturation on the Panasonics to be quite muted. The colors on the canons are much more natural, while on the sony they're punchier. Much better for printing. Also, the Panasonics, while having excellent lenses, are let down by higher chroma noise at lower ISO levels, and have poorer high-iso performance than, say the fuji cams:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx9/page8.asp
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:54 pm

I would say each to his own, most people like their own camera & brand. In the same way that we tend to stick to the same mobile phone manufacturer, I have always had motorolas.

Persoanlly I would go for a fuji (because that is what I have got & am very happy with it).

When buying a camera it is very easy to over-engineer your research, there is so much information on the web. At one point when I was doing my own rsearch I found myself staring at various pictures of converging lines to see which camera picked up finer detail. I had to step back & think "what the hell am I doing?"

Set a budget, decide what is your buying criterea ie size, megapixels whatever, find the differnt models in your budget, go & look at them in the shop - you might find that you prefer the one that is small & light or just looks good. The important thing is to get a camera & start taking pictures.

Best of luck

:)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Thanks!

Postby ksl » Fri, 05 May 2006 1:35 am

Bremen wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:I'd disagree with Bremen. Panasonics are better than Canon.

Leica lenses. Image stabilization. Excellent color saturation. Good program modes. A case that is easier to hold with one hand than the Canon. I own the FX8 and have given away FX9 and FX01 as gifts.

FX01 is the latest. Has a 28 to 102 zoom. All other compact cameras have 35 to 110. Much better wide angle.


I actually find the color saturation on the Panasonics to be quite muted. The colors on the canons are much more natural, while on the sony they're punchier. Much better for printing. Also, the Panasonics, while having excellent lenses, are let down by higher chroma noise at lower ISO levels, and have poorer high-iso performance than, say the fuji cams:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx9/page8.asp


No offence Bremen, but the link doesn't impress me! I've seen to many manipulations of what cameras can and cannot do, especially here in Sim Lim, never trust any of the salesmen! 9 out of 10 will push the ones, with the most profit margins, and up the price.

I think one needs to experiment for a while with each camera, possibly at a camera club.

I purchased the Minolta 5D simply because it's more economical, having the stabiliser in the camera, rather than on the lens and also i have the film camera, with lenses i can use.

Unfortunately I cannot stop thinking about the cannon 350D, and wondering what the pictures are like. I'm not overly impressed with the Minolta, even though it does its job, but i put that down to my inexperience with a digital SLR

User avatar
Scorpion
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon, 12 Sep 2005
Location: 3other side of ur door

Re: Thanks!

Postby Scorpion » Fri, 05 May 2006 2:22 am

ksl wrote:....
Unfortunately I cannot stop thinking about the cannon 350D, and wondering what the pictures are like. I'm not overly impressed with the Minolta, even though it does its job, but i put that down to my inexperience with a digital SLR

In what aspects does the Minolta let's you down :?
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....
Image

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Re: Thanks!

Postby Bremen » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:24 am

ksl wrote:
No offence Bremen, but the link doesn't impress me! I've seen to many manipulations of what cameras can and cannot do, especially here in Sim Lim, never trust any of the salesmen! 9 out of 10 will push the ones, with the most profit margins, and up the price.

I think one needs to experiment for a while with each camera, possibly at a camera club.

I purchased the Minolta 5D simply because it's more economical, having the stabiliser in the camera, rather than on the lens and also i have the film camera, with lenses i can use.

Unfortunately I cannot stop thinking about the cannon 350D, and wondering what the pictures are like. I'm not overly impressed with the Minolta, even though it does its job, but i put that down to my inexperience with a digital SLR



Ksl, dpreview is a highly respected digital camera review site. It is NOT based in Singapore, nor does it manipulate it's images. They have some of the most comprehensive testing of any site.

As for the 350D, it's a truly EXCELLENT camera... But you need to make sure you have a good lens too. ;)

DPReview has a huge amount of sample pictures in their 350D review. See here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

Again, dpreview is NOT A SALESMAN. If you can't trust one of the most respected camera review sites around, then there's little that can be done to give you the data you need.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Bremen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Wed, 24 Aug 2005
Location: Island of Red Mud

Re: Thanks!

Postby Bremen » Fri, 05 May 2006 10:25 am

Scorpion wrote:In what aspects does the Minolta let's you down :?


Poor sharpness, poor colors, high ISO noise.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests