Singapore Expats Forum

How much can a koala bear?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

How much can a koala bear?!

Postby Quasimodo » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 9:54 am

Cranky koala meaner than stolen croc

By Jano Gibson
March 29, 2006

A cranky koala achieved what an angry croc couldn't - it beat off thieves.

The bizarre incident began when Rockhampton police in Queensland received a tip-off that someone had a crocodile in their possession.

"The police came to the zoo, checked out our exhibit and we were down a female freshwater crocodile,'' said Tom Wyatt at Rockhampton City Council.

The 1.2 metre crocodile - known simply as "the girl freshie" - was dragged by thieves over a 2.4 metre fence in the middle of the night.

"Can you imagine these people struggling over a 2.4 metre security fence with a writhing wild reptile?" he said.

"It's not a baby you are holding in your arms here. We are talking about 40 kilograms and 1.2 metres of absolute fury."

"They are not man-eaters [like salt water crocodiles]. But they can still give you a nasty bite."

The thieves originally planned to take one of the zoo's koalas and only changed tack after it proved too vicious, 21-year-old zookeeper Wil Kemp told smh.com.au.

"The original plan was to steal a koala - that's what they were going to use to swap [for] the drugs,'' Mr Kemp said.

"[But] apparently [the koala] scratched the shit out of them.''

"The blokes have quite a lot of scratches and lacerations caused by the koala.''

The thieves then decided to take a crocodile instead.

"I don't know what makes someone go, 'Oh we tried to steal a koala and that didn't work so lets go and steal a croc.' "

"The people who did it must have been quite stupid. It's the last thing I wound have thought a member of the general public would try to steal for drugs."

He said police had told him they had been unable to locate the crocodile.

"They can't find it because it has been passed on to someone else who traded it for some marijuana and speed.''

Two women have been issued with notices to appear in court over the theft of the crocodile.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a bunch of dimwits . . . reminds me of the story of Karl, the Killer Koala and his mate Willy the marauding Wombat. dangerous marsupials, those.

Living in Sydney we were always in fear of invading hordes of Koalas, here's a look at Mad Dog Marty, the leader of the Fluffy Ear Gang:

Villain!!!!!
One in the hand is worth two of something

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:18 am

Hey Quasi, isn't it true that koalas are always stoned from the eucalyptus tree?

Maybe this particular one was cranky because it was missing its fix. :)

They're really cute creatures though.
One man's meat is another's poison.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:29 am

Aww...... cutie :) The kaolas I meant :P

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:42 am

madwolfie wrote:Aww...... cutie :) The kaolas I meant :P

Not me??? Wolfie is now in the doghouse.

Yup, GC, they are almost constantly stoned and do sometimes, it's not a myth, fall from their 'perch'. The reason is their diet, eucalyptus, and hardly any water = just imagine you'd drink only eucalyptus oil . . . *Hic*

They are actually gorgeous but can get scratchy - and one once famously pissed all over the then Minister fior Tourism - imagine how potent their urine would be!!!

Sadly their habitat is being severaly eroded and they fall prey to illness and those bloody cats people feel they can let roam around because they are 'cats'.

I must admit my favourite Australian animals are Wombats . . . great little bulldozers!

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:48 am

Aoooooooooooooooooooo *howls and grrrowls*

Quasi... I bite! :twisted:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:30 pm

A friend of mine is caretaker at a Zoo in Amsterdam. One time we visited, after closing time. He showed us around and we were allowed to see some animals upclose. And I was allowed to hold a cute little koala! Instantly I regretted it, they smell aweful!

So I wanted to let go, but little koala fell half asleep in my arms and when I wanted to hand him over to my friend, little koala automatically held on to me by using his little claws, on my bare arms....

5 minutes of sheer horror, I will never ever hold one again. :o

Eric

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:45 pm

So a koala is worse than a wolfie's bite :P

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 2:45 pm

The koalas are the cutest bears around, even more so than the pandas (one of my fav animals). They look like human babies. As adorable as they look, I would never try to hug one. Their paws look too menancing. I will not approach one without a nail clipper :D .

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 4:19 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
So I wanted to let go, but little koala fell half asleep in my arms and when I wanted to hand him over to my friend, little koala automatically held on to me by using his little claws, on my bare arms....

5 minutes of sheer horror, I will never ever hold one again. :o
Eric

:lol: :lol: You big girlies blouse!!!!! :lol: :lol:

(Oh, earthfriendly, Koalas are not bears)

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:13 am

Oh yeah, my hubby was just right by my computer and I asked him and he told me the koalas are xxxxxxx family.

Oooops, sorry but cannot remember the exact name for it. He is my science lexicon and pretty much anything science related he would know. They are in the likes of kangaroos and apposums.

Why are they called koala bears then :???: ?

Luis Vuitton just came up with a new wallet called koalas as the clasp is shaped like koala's nose. So darn cute :wink: .

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:29 am

Koalas are marsupials much like the kangaroos, the north american cousins would be the opossum If I am not far off. I think they belong to the 'Phascolarctidae' family.

'Koala' is actually an aboriginal word meaning 'no drink animal'. They almost never need to drink as they get most of the water from their diet of eucalyptus leaves....

..which means they make good driver designate on a night out at the bar :wink:

The Koalas were once food for the Aboriginal folks and dingos down under, before the European colonisation that is. The main problem right now would be loss of habitats which will result in in-breeding.

So...

how much can a koala koala if a koala could koala? :)
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Australiana, by Austen Tayshus

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:18 pm

For all the non-Aussies out there, here is a classic monologue using typical Australiana (transpations are in blue)

Sittin’ at home last Sunday mornin’ me mate Boomerrang Said he was havin’ a few people around for a barbie, Said he might Kookaburra or two.

I said, “Sounds great, will Wallaby there?”

'nuff said Image

Fugazi

Postby Fugazi » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:53 pm

I shouldn't be in here ( :wink: ) but you made me giggle Vaucluse.