Singapore Expats Forum

"can men be sexually harassed"?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

simmy

"can men be sexually harassed"?

Postby simmy » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 6:08 pm

Any views on "can men be sexually harassed"?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 6:31 pm

Why not? Why would it be different for women?

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 7:00 pm

Or by other men

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 7:11 pm

It's more widespread than you think but most of the time men don't report it due to embarrassment

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 7:19 pm

At one time a certain UK town (Swindon if I remember correctly) had a refuge for battered husbands. Taking that into account along with what Saint and ringo100 say the answer to your question is yes.

Plavt.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:17 pm

Absolutely and deefinitely. Both in the workplace as well as the private sphere.
One in the hand is worth two of something

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:35 pm

I was once sexually harassed by this fat chick (i just could not find any other word to say it right) that kept invading my personal space - close talking - coming up behind me at me desk, TOUCHING, etc. It was actually very uncomfortable - but... at the end of the day...it felt kind of nice!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:43 pm

You mean you got horny anyway? :D

Eric

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:49 pm

Speaking of which, to share something my friend sent me...

:P THE DICTIONARY OF DATING

ATTRACTION - the act of associating horniness with a particular person.

LOVE AT 1st SIGHT - what occurs when two extremely horny, but not entirely choosy people meet.

DATING - the process of spending enormous amounts of money, time, and energy to get better acquainted with a person whom you don't especially like in the present and will learn to like a lot less in the future.

BIRTH CONTROL - avoiding pregnancy through such tactics as swallowing special pills, inserting a diaphragm, using a condom, and dating repulsive men or spending time around children.

EASY - a term used to describe a woman who has the sexual morals of a man.

PRIG - a term used to describe a woman who wants to stay virgin until married.

EYE CONTACT - a method utilized by a single woman to communicate to a man that she is interested in him. Despite being advised to do so, many woman have difficulty looking a man directly in the eyes, not necessarily due to the shyness, but usually due to the fact that a woman's eyes are not located in her chest.

FRIEND - a member of the opposite sex in your acquaintance who has some flaw which makes sleeping with him/her totally unappealing.

INDIFFERENCE - a woman's feeling towards a man, which is interpreted by the man as "playing hard to get."

INTERESTING - a word a man uses to describe a woman who lets him do all the talking.

IRRITATING HABIT - what the endearing little qualities that initially attract two people to each other turn into after a few months together.

LAW OF RELATIVITY - how attractive a given person appears to be is directly proportional to how unattractive your date is.

NYMPHOMANIAC - a man's term for a woman who wants to have sex more often than he does.

FRIGID - a man's term for a woman who wants to have sex less often than he does, or who requires more foreplay than lifting her nightgown.

SOBER - condition in which it is almost impossible to fall in love.

NAG - a man's term for a woman who wants more to her life with him than just intercourse.

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:21 pm

Definately!

Both men and women can be sexually harrassed. And, both (Saint) generally do not report it due to a magnitude of reasons.

If you are in that situation, it is very serious! My advice is this:

Definately make it known to that person that you 'feel uncomfortable when (what ever happens)'.

Aviod being alone in situations with that person.

Tell a close work colleague that you are feeling uncomfortable - that is alert someone you trust in that environment to what you are feeling.

Book an inital meeting straight away with your manager or HR representative (if it is your manager) and tell them how you feel. Always put it in the context of 'I feel uncomfortable when X does Y'.

There are many forms of harrassment out there and it can end up being a worse situation of dealing with a 'workplace psychopath' - yes they do exist!

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 9:40 am

Wham wrote:I was once sexually harassed by this fat chick (i just could not find any other word to say it right) that kept invading my personal space - close talking - coming up behind me at me desk, TOUCHING, etc. It was actually very uncomfortable - but... at the end of the day...it felt kind of nice!

Did she look like CardZeus' 300pound woman?

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31569.html

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 9:47 am

Quasimodo wrote:
Wham wrote:I was once sexually harassed by this fat chick (i just could not find any other word to say it right) that kept invading my personal space - close talking - coming up behind me at me desk, TOUCHING, etc. It was actually very uncomfortable - but... at the end of the day...it felt kind of nice!

Did she look like CardZeus' 300pound woman?

...must be a Yokozuna or was it Yokozunette?

I say YES and I urge those harassed to file a report...

unless it's Jane Seymour, Barbara Hershey, Sophia Loren or Russian women tennis players.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:27 am

tiki wrote:Did she look like CardZeus' 300pound woman?

unless it's Jane Seymour, Barbara Hershey, Sophia Loren or Russian women tennis players.[/quote]

Lauren Bacall, Jodie Foster . . .

And since when did the former Soviet Union, know for their muscular and hirsute 'female' olympic athletes, produce such clearly attarctive and lithe women???

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:34 am

Quasimodo wrote:
tiki wrote:Did she look like CardZeus' 300pound woman?

unless it's Jane Seymour, Barbara Hershey, Sophia Loren or Russian women tennis players.

Lauren Bacall, Jodie Foster . . .

And since when did the former Soviet Union, know for their muscular and hirsute 'female' olympic athletes, produce such clearly attarctive and lithe women???[/quote]

... I think it's the positive outcome of cutbacks on the 'added supplement' programmes. Then again, years down the road will reveal...

that they are actually Men and billions of male species will have been scarred.
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:12 am

Quasimodo wrote:
tiki wrote:
And since when did the former Soviet Union, know for their muscular and hirsute 'female' olympic athletes, produce such clearly attarctive and lithe women???

... I think it's the positive outcome of cutbacks on the 'added supplement' programmes. Then again, years down the road will reveal...

that they are actually Men and billions of male species will have been scarred.

:lol: :lol:
One man's meat is another's poison.