Singapore Expats Forum

Tips For SIA FA Interview In KL

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Tips For SIA FA Interview In KL

Postby mysty » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:35 am

Well.... it seems that there's so many FA wannabes here, i think i'll write down some experiences that i've gone thru with the SIA interview in KL. Here's the interview procedures was like:

The first thing u need to do is to send ur application online where u can get the application form from the SIA website: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... n_crew.jsp
Requirements:
Singapore citizens or Malaysian citizens who are Singapore Permanent Residents
Males who are at least 1.65m in height; females who are at least 1.58m
GCE ‘A’ Levels (2 ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper)/Diploma and above preferred
Preference will be given to candidates who are able to speak foreign languages or are experienced in customer service.

Well, after u have submitted ur form to them, u'll have to wait for their reply appox. 1 and 1/2 mths. If after for 2 mths there's no reply from them, that means u should start to plan for ur next application then. My advice for those ppl that's been keep applying for the FA position online for the past few mths or few years, u better wait for another 6 mths or more to apply for another attempt bcos they'll keep ur information in their database for the entire 6 mths. Well, u wouldn't want them to blacklist u bcos of that...right? They want to see new faces and not familiar ones everytime they check on their database.

Alright...let's come back to the main part. If u r to be invited for the 1st interview, congrats to u but not to be too happy 1st! This is just the beginning. They'll tell u where to attend for the interview, usually at a 5 star hotel. Cheers!

Be prepared before u go for the interview. If u r really keen to be an FA, u better prepare everything well before u attend for ur 1st interview. 1st impression is the most important! SIA is very specific in ur complexion, personality, characteristics, appearance, elegance and of course on how u bring urself and present urself well. Be urself! They can tell if u r faking it. So, be careful. Confidence and english fluency is
a good key in getting in. Make sure u practice ur fluency and what u going to say to them. Last but not least, remember to do ur facial treatments 1 or 2 weeks before the interview. It really makes a difference. Put on some make up and make sure u look presentable and not pale. U should wear an office attire or something a bit formal and not jeans etc…

First Day of Interview:
1st Round: 10 girls in a group. Group interview. U'll be asked to go into a room with 9 other girls for their 1st round. 1 interviewer will ask all of u to do self intro. Make it short and simple. U would not want to drag and tell all ur grandma and grandpa stories in front of the interviewer and other applicants. The more u speak, the more grammar mistakes u’ll make. I bet that they’ll be laughing by themselves. Just make it short and simple. Trust me, this actually happens! They will ask all of u to talk a little bit about urself one by one. Just stay calm. Actually they r testing on ur fluency and overall presentation. Be confidence of what u r talking. After the self intro, they will ask the 10 of u to wait into a room and wait for the result. Then, they’ll send someone to announce who’ll be proceeding to the next round. If u r selected in here, u’ll be send to the 2nd round after that.

2nd Round: One to one interview. In here, there will be one interviewer to ask u more in details about ur background, ur interest, ur work and everything. They actually wanted to know more about u and how keen and interested u r in joining as the part of the FA team. Just be urself and think before u answer. Then, they’ll ask u to read a short passage to test ur reading and fluency. If u r successful in this round, the interviewer will give u a piece of paper, meaning that u’ll proceed to the next round. The psychometric test.

3rd Round: The psychometric test. There r about 100 or more objective questions to be answered. There r no correct or wrong answers here. They just want to test ur characteristics and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Just answer, don’t think too long. Then after the test, a girl there will give u a piece of paper and tell u to come for the next round interview another day. Usually it’ll be tomorrow.

Second Day of Interview:
1st Round: Kebaya check. In here, they’ll see on how u look in the uniform. They’ll also check for scars, tattoo, visible acnes and spare tires. Remember to put a lot of make up in this round. U’ll be counting on it, trust me! U’ll be asked to walk towards the interviewer that will check on ur skin. U should not neglect the way u walk here. They’ll also quite particular in the way u walk. Walk with confidence and stable. Bring out ur elegance. For those who r quite skinny, SIA do not always prefer skinny ones especially when u wear the kebaya, no curve no shape, u r gone. That’s what I know. After all the checking, u’ll have to wait for them to announce on who will proceed to the next round.If u r selected, u’ll have to go for the water confidence test.

2nd Round: Water Confidence Test. In this round, u’ll have to do a simple catwalk walking towards the interviewer and let them check thoroughly on ur skin and visible scars again on ur swimsuit. Then, u’ll have to jump into the pool around 6feet deep, and swim 50metres back and forth in the pool. After that, u’ll need to report back to the interviewer. If, u don’t know how to swim, that’s ok. They will provide a life vest for u. The only way that can help u to reach to the other end of the pool will be swimming backwards. Swimming forwards will not help much. In this test, there are testing on ur guts whether u r able to jump into the sea in case of emergency. After the test, u’ll be asked to wait into a room to announce who’ll be proceeding to the final interview. If u passed, they’ll ask u to write down ur name and email add in a piece of paper and hand it over to them. They’ll keep in touch with u again and tell u the next venue and date for the finals.

Last Day of Interview:
Final Interview: For the last interview here, there will be 2 – 3 panels to interview u in a room. They’ll ask u more in dept questions about u and let u know the result for ur recent psychometric test. They’ll observe u and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Usually, they r from the upper level management ppl from the HR dept. So, be careful on what u r saying to them. They’ll be the ones who’ll be determined ur future if u r very keen to be an FA. They’ll ask u questions like, why u want to be an air stewardess?, what will u do after u’ve resigned from SIA?..stuff like that. If they ask u situational questions like, what will u do if SARS are detected on plane? That means, they r having doubts on u. So, be prepared and think before u answer. If u have customer service background or additional language knowledge, it’ll help a lot to pass thru. This interview takes around 15-20 mins. It varies for each ppl. After they have done with u, u’ll have to go back to the waiting room, and a girl will go into the panels’ room to announce whether u made thru or not. After a short discussion between them, the girl will tell u whether u can stay or go home.
If u made it, u’ll be staying for the tea party in the evening later on.

Tea Party: I’ll advice u, not to be too happy yet if u r here. Bcos in here, sometimes they’ll still eliminate someone during the tea party. So, don’t be too confident and relax in this round. It is still an interview round. During the tea party, they’ll ask all of u to chat and mingle around with others. All of u will be gathering in a circle round to chat and have tea. U may also talk to the interviewers too. Those interviewers here will observe every one of u while u are communicating with others. But from what I know, they r very seldom to eliminate ppl here, only if they r still considering that someone. This tea party usually will last for 1 hour. If u r safe in this round, they’ll give u a few pieces of paper indicating u to go for a medical check up somewhere in KL area. They’ll also give u an application form to fill in again indicating a more detailed particulars and another form to apply for an employment pass to able to work in S’pore. They’ll ask u to bring all the forms home to fill in. After u have gone for the check up and fill every particulars in, just send it back to the SIA head office.

As what they told us, for STPM or Diploma Holders, basic salary will be SGD1200.00 and for Degree or Higher Degree Holders, basic will be SGD1350.00. Training will be 4 mths and while training only basic salary will be paid. After graduation, flying allowance and transport allowance will be paid accordingly.

If u r fail to apply for the employment pass, or maybe ur medical check up is not up to standard, u’ll also cannot work for SIA. So, good luck girls! If ur medical here is cleared and employment pass is approved, u’ll have to go for another check up in S’pore conducted by the S’pore ministry. If everything is cleared there, congrats, u r finally able to work as an FA for SIA. U’ll have to sign a 5 years contract with SIA, 4 mths training, and 1 year bond contract. Then, u’ll start ur training according to availability of training classes. Congratulations!
Last edited by mysty on Wed, 24 May 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blancD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 25 Feb 2006

Postby blancD » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 6:34 pm

just want to make sure, do they employ air stewards in KL? because from the last interview, several guys attended SIA's recruitment
"City of Ang3Ls"

User avatar
donno
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed, 25 Jan 2006
Location: somewhere on Earth..

Postby donno » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 6:56 pm

Yeah, they recruit steward in KL.
10 April 2006

User avatar
blancD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 25 Feb 2006

Postby blancD » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 1:06 am

thanks again donno... lolx
"City of Ang3Ls"

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Postby mysty » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 3:10 am

blancD wrote:just want to make sure, do they employ air stewards in KL? because from the last interview, several guys attended SIA's recruitment


Yes, they do recruit stewards in KL. I saw it once when i was attending the interview in Concorde Hotel KL here. But i think it will be easier compared to girls bcos they don't have to go for the kebaya check part. Suprisingly, what i saw there was not much good looking ones among them. Sorry to say that, maybe i didn't get a full glance of each and one of them. Eventually, they r quite tall and young. i think the attended ones was less than 20 guys i guess. if u r keen to be a flight steward, u can try to search thru the local newspaper or website to see whether SIA is recruiting at that moment. They do publish in newspapers nowadays. If this time they didn't recruit enough stewards, they might conduct another interview soon. Good luck! :wink:

purpledoll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri, 16 Dec 2005

Postby purpledoll » Sat, 01 Apr 2006 9:27 pm

SIA is conducting walk-in interview in Penang, Malaysia on 9th April. When will they come to KL? Do they usually recruit in Penang first then KL. I hope they come to KL soon!! :wink:

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Postby mysty » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 2:27 am

purpledoll wrote:SIA is conducting walk-in interview in Penang, Malaysia on 9th April. When will they come to KL? Do they usually recruit in Penang first then KL. I hope they come to KL soon!! :wink:


Well, i hope those tips will come in handy to those attended for the interview. Last time they used to conduct interview either in Penang or KL. But maybe this time SIA need more ppl. If they do conduct interview in KL, i think not so soon. Maybe in May or June. Anyway, for those wannabes out there, be prepared for the upcoming interview. U do not want to miss it, right! Good luck! Walk in will have higher chances in getting in for the 1st time. At least, u get to show them the real u before they waste the time to select ppl from the emails. 8-)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 3:50 am

mysty wrote: At least, u get to show them the real u before they waste the time to select ppl from the emails. 8-)


I doubt if it will make much difference, since the selection procedures are still the same are they not?

Plavt.

purpledoll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri, 16 Dec 2005

Postby purpledoll » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 2:22 pm

mysty wrote:
purpledoll wrote:SIA is conducting walk-in interview in Penang, Malaysia on 9th April. When will they come to KL? Do they usually recruit in Penang first then KL. I hope they come to KL soon!! :wink:


Well, i hope those tips will come in handy to those attended for the interview. Last time they used to conduct interview either in Penang or KL. But maybe this time SIA need more ppl. If they do conduct interview in KL, i think not so soon. Maybe in May or June. Anyway, for those wannabes out there, be prepared for the upcoming interview. U do not want to miss it, right! Good luck! Walk in will have higher chances in getting in for the 1st time. At least, u get to show them the real u before they waste the time to select ppl from the emails. 8-)


omg...u mean they usually only conduct in Penang OR KL? not Penang AND KL? oh dear... :???: cross my fingers!!!

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Postby mysty » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 1:46 am

purpledoll wrote:
mysty wrote:
purpledoll wrote:SIA is conducting walk-in interview in Penang, Malaysia on 9th April. When will they come to KL? Do they usually recruit in Penang first then KL. I hope they come to KL soon!! :wink:


Well, i hope those tips will come in handy to those attended for the interview. Last time they used to conduct interview either in Penang or KL. But maybe this time SIA need more ppl. If they do conduct interview in KL, i think not so soon. Maybe in May or June. Anyway, for those wannabes out there, be prepared for the upcoming interview. U do not want to miss it, right! Good luck! Walk in will have higher chances in getting in for the 1st time. At least, u get to show them the real u before they waste the time to select ppl from the emails. 8-)


omg...u mean they usually only conduct in Penang OR KL? not Penang AND KL? oh dear... :???: cross my fingers!!!


Well, from what i know all this while they either will conduct interview in Penang or KL. They won't do it on the same time same day at 2 places. For example, this time they do it in KL 1st, then Penang. But i think this time in Penang, ppl are more easier to get in compared to the recent interview in KL. Walk-ins are great, but the number of ppl are GREATER. The selection process will be more or less the same. So, for those ppl that want to get there, be well prepared. :)

purpledoll
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri, 16 Dec 2005

Postby purpledoll » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 1:50 am

Do u all know how long does it take for a walk-in interview? how many days consecutively? cause i might need to book for my return ticket there. anybody can help me?

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Postby mysty » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 1:55 am

Plavt wrote:
mysty wrote: At least, u get to show them the real u before they waste the time to select ppl from the emails. 8-)


I doubt if it will make much difference, since the selection procedures are still the same are they not?

Plavt.


Hmm...of course the selection process are pretty the same. what i meant was, it's kind of pity that for most of the ppl out there couldn't even have the chance to show themselves at 1st, and keep getting rejected on online application from the internet. If u've got the talent and personality, walk-ins are a better way to show them that u r the one and no chances for online rejection anymore. :D

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Postby mysty » Mon, 03 Apr 2006 2:05 am

purpledoll wrote:Do u all know how long does it take for a walk-in interview? how many days consecutively? cause i might need to book for my return ticket there. anybody can help me?


Honestly, it'll be taking a much longer time than 'online selections' interview. I mean, much loooooger time. U better go there earlier than anyone else. Usually, for 'online selections' interview, the days are fix. But for walk ins, i don't think so. They might have last minute changes due to the large number of applicants. i think u better plan ur flight carefully. :)

User avatar
blancD
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat, 25 Feb 2006

Postby blancD » Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:14 pm

they will definitely conduct an interview in KL. Without fail they have interviews here every year!!
don't worry too much yeh!
"City of Ang3Ls"

mysty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 22 Mar 2006

Re: Tips For SIA FA Interview In KL

Postby mysty » Tue, 23 May 2006 2:18 pm

mysty wrote:Well.... it seems that there's so many FA wannabes here, i think i'll write down some experiences that i've gone thru with the SIA interview in KL. Here's the interview procedures was like:

The first thing u need to do is to send ur application online where u can get the application form from the SIA website: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... n_crew.jsp
Requirements:
Singapore citizens or Malaysian citizens who are Singapore Permanent Residents
Males who are at least 1.65m in height; females who are at least 1.58m
GCE ‘A’ Levels (2 ‘A’-level credits and 2 ‘O’-level credits including General Paper)/Diploma and above preferred
Preference will be given to candidates who are able to speak foreign languages or are experienced in customer service.

Well, after u have submitted ur form to them, u'll have to wait for their reply appox. 1 and 1/2 mths. If after for 2 mths there's no reply from them, that means u should start to plan for ur next application then. My advice for those ppl that's been keep applying for the FA position online for the past few mths or few years, u better wait for another 6 mths or more to apply for another attempt bcos they'll keep ur information in their database for the entire 6 mths. Well, u wouldn't want them to blacklist u bcos of that...right? They want to see new faces and not familiar ones everytime they check on their database.

Alright...let's come back to the main part. If u r to be invited for the 1st interview, congrats to u but not to be too happy 1st! This is just the beginning. They'll tell u where to attend for the interview, usually at a 5 star hotel. Cheers!

Be prepared before u go for the interview. If u r really keen to be an FA, u better prepare everything well before u attend for ur 1st interview. 1st impression is the most important! SIA is very specific in ur complexion, personality, characteristics, appearance, elegance and of course on how u bring urself and present urself well. Be urself! They can tell if u r faking it. So, be careful. Confidence and english fluency is
a good key in getting in. Make sure u practice ur fluency and what u going to say to them. Last but not least, remember to do ur facial treatments 1 or 2 weeks before the interview. It really makes a difference. Put on some make up and make sure u look presentable and not pale. U should wear an office attire or something a bit formal and not jeans etc…

First Day of Interview:
1st Round: 10 girls in a group. Group interview. U'll be asked to go into a room with 9 other girls for their 1st round. 1 interviewer will ask all of u to do self intro. Make it short and simple. U would not want to drag and tell all ur grandma and grandpa stories in front of the interviewer and other applicants. The more u speak, the more grammar mistakes u’ll make. I bet that they’ll be laughing by themselves. Just make it short and simple. Trust me, this actually happens! They will ask all of u to talk a little bit about urself one by one. Just stay calm. Actually they r testing on ur fluency and overall presentation. Be confidence of what u r talking. After the self intro, they will ask the 10 of u to wait into a room and wait for the result. Then, they’ll send someone to announce who’ll be proceeding to the next round. If u r selected in here, u’ll be send to the 2nd round after that.

2nd Round: One to one interview. In here, there will be one interviewer to ask u more in details about ur background, ur interest, ur work and everything. They actually wanted to know more about u and how keen and interested u r in joining as the part of the FA team. Just be urself and think before u answer. Then, they’ll ask u to read a short passage to test ur reading and fluency. If u r successful in this round, the interviewer will give u a piece of paper, meaning that u’ll proceed to the next round. The psychometric test.

3rd Round: The psychometric test. There r about 100 or more objective questions to be answered. There r no correct or wrong answers here. They just want to test ur characteristics and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Just answer, don’t think too long. Then after the test, a girl there will give u a piece of paper and tell u to come for the next round interview another day. Usually it’ll be tomorrow.

Second Day of Interview:
1st Round: Kebaya check. In here, they’ll see on how u look in the uniform. They’ll also check for scars, tattoo, visible acnes and spare tires. Remember to put a lot of make up in this round. U’ll be counting on it, trust me! U’ll be asked to walk towards the interviewer that will check on ur skin. U should not neglect the way u walk here. They’ll also quite particular in the way u walk. Walk with confidence and stable. Bring out ur elegance. For those who r quite skinny, SIA do not always prefer skinny ones especially when u wear the kebaya, no curve no shape, u r gone. That’s what I know. After all the checking, u’ll have to wait for them to announce on who will proceed to the next round.If u r selected, u’ll have to go for the water confidence test.

2nd Round: Water Confidence Test. In this round, u’ll have to do a simple catwalk walking towards the interviewer and let them check thoroughly on ur skin and visible scars again on ur swimsuit. Then, u’ll have to jump into the pool around 6metres deep, and swim 50metres back and forth in the pool. After that, u’ll need to report back to the interviewer. If, u don’t know how to swim, that’s ok. They will provide a life vest for u. U only thing that can help u to reach to the other end of the pool will be swimming backwards. Swimming forwards will not help much. In this test, there are testing on ur guts whether u r able to jump into the sea in case of emergency. After the test, u’ll be asked to wait into a room to announce who’ll be proceeding to the final interview. If u passed, they’ll ask u to write down ur name and email add in a piece of paper and hand it over to them. They’ll keep in touch with u again and tell u the next venue and date for the finals.

Last Day of Interview:
Final Interview: For the last interview here, there will be 2 – 3 panels to interview u in a room. They’ll ask u more in dept questions about u and let u know the result for ur recent psychometric test. They’ll observe u and see whether u r suitable to be an FA. Usually, they r from the upper level management ppl from the HR dept. So, be careful on what u r saying to them. They’ll be the ones who’ll be determined ur future if u r very keen to be an FA. They’ll ask u questions like, why u want to be an air stewardess?, what will u do after u’ve resigned from SIA?..stuff like that. If they ask u situational questions like, what will u do if SARS are detected on plane? That means, they r having doubts on u. So, be prepared and think before u answer. If u have customer service background or additional language knowledge, it’ll help a lot to pass thru. This interview takes around 15-20 mins. It varies for each ppl. After they have done with u, u’ll have to go back to the waiting room, and a girl will go into the panels’ room to announce whether u made thru or not. After a short discussion between them, the girl will tell u whether u can stay or go home.
If u made it, u’ll be staying for the tea party in the evening later on.

Tea Party: I’ll advice u, not to be too happy yet if u r here. Bcos in here, sometimes they’ll still eliminate someone during the tea party. So, don’t be too confident and relax in this round. It is still an interview round. During the tea party, they’ll ask all of u to chat and mingle around with others. All of u will be gathering in a circle round to chat and have tea. U may also talk to the interviewers too. Those interviewers here will observe every one of u while u are communicating with others. But from what I know, they r very seldom to eliminate ppl here, only if they r still considering that someone. This tea party usually will last for 1 hour. If u r safe in this round, they’ll give u a few pieces of paper indicating u to go for a medical check up somewhere in KL area. They’ll also give u an application form to fill in again indicating a more detailed particulars and another form to apply for an employment pass to able to work in S’pore. They’ll ask u to bring all the forms home to fill in. After u have gone for the check up and fill every particulars in, just send it back to the SIA head office.

As what they told us, for STPM or Diploma Holders, basic salary will be SGD1200.00 and for Degree or Higher Degree Holders, basic will be SGD1350.00. Training will be 4 mths and while training only basic salary will be paid. After graduation, flying allowance and transport allowance will be paid accordingly.

If u r fail to apply for the employment pass, or maybe ur medical check up is not up to standard, u’ll also cannot work for SIA. So, good luck girls! If ur medical here is cleared and employment pass is approved, u’ll have to go for another check up in S’pore conducted by the S’pore ministry. If everything is cleared there, congrats, u r finally able to work as an FA for SIA. U’ll have to sign a 5 years contract with SIA, 4 mths training, and 1 year bond contract. Then, u’ll start ur training according to availability of training classes. Congratulations!


Hi everyone,
Just to make some amendments here, well bcos i do not want to give any wrong info here. Now SIA bonded us for 21 months and not one year. Last time, i think a few years back, they only bonded their crews for one year, so i thought maybe it's the same now. Sorry for the wrong info. :o :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests