Singapore Expats Forum

Which bird is this?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Which bird is this?

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:28 am

I have tried to post a pic of an enormous bird which flew into a tree in my garden today, because I don't know what it was. No luck again, attaching pic, so will describe it.....for the UK folk....not sure if it was a UK bird though.

It was whiteish coloured, very long neck, huge wingspan, much larger than any bird I'd seen, bit like the size of a swan. The top of it's head had a sort of plume of black on, and at the base of its head it had a sort of trailing ponytail. Looked a bit like a heron. Could it have been one?

Any ideas?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:45 am

You need to get that picture posting sorted out Bubbles, could have been a buzzard the way you have described it - only kidding. :P :P :D :D

Plavt.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:09 am

Did the long neck bird look anything like this :?

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:47 am

It's a Karen bubbs :P
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Giselle

Fine-feathered friends

Postby Giselle » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 5:05 am

In pecking order:

Grey Heron

Great Egret

Black-crowned Night Heron

Little Egret

http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/birds/birds.htm

Take your pick!

Hmm...Little Egrets are common but have no plumes of black, neither do the Great Egrets.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 9:25 am

Should ask Cheekybeek.

Yup, I know the girl with the rings around her neck - her name is Karen.
One in the hand is worth two of something

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 9:31 am

I have a feeling, with photos provided by Giselle, that it's the Grey Heron. Sorta fits with Bubbs' vivid description.
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:39 am

tiki wrote:I have a feeling, with photos provided by Giselle, that it's the Grey Heron. Sorta fits with Bubbs' vivid description.

trust you to be all serious and to the point - you are starting to scare me with your maturity.
One in the hand is worth two of something

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:07 am

Quasimodo wrote:
tiki wrote:I have a feeling, with photos provided by Giselle, that it's the Grey Heron. Sorta fits with Bubbs' vivid description.

trust you to be all serious and to the point - you are starting to scare me with your maturity.

I wanted to say...

'Based on Bubbs description and after studying the different mullets, I believe it's the Grey Heron. I have seen similar mullets on the streets of Cardiff, usually with a half pint in hand.'

..but I had a wonderful breakfast.
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: Which bird is this?

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:03 pm

Bubbles wrote:I have tried to post a pic of an enormous bird which flew into a tree in my garden today, because I don't know what it was. No luck again, attaching pic, so will describe it.....for the UK folk....not sure if it was a UK bird though.

It was whiteish coloured, very long neck, huge wingspan, much larger than any bird I'd seen, bit like the size of a swan. The top of it's head had a sort of plume of black on, and at the base of its head it had a sort of trailing ponytail. Looked a bit like a heron. Could it have been one?

Any ideas?

Bubbs,

Stay off the sherry in the morning, ok? :wink:

Eric

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 3:57 pm

Strangely a memory came back to me quite unexpectedly of when I was a schoolboy and lived in the English countryside next to a river. We used to see herons quite regularly and it does fit with Bubble's description although I never saw one so close up that I would have know all the features.

Plavt.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 4:19 pm

Quasimodo wrote:

I keep telling Tiki he should get out more :lol:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 4:21 pm

For a start, tiki's taking the step and going to the FNDC this week (perhaps) :lol:

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks so much everyone. Promise I'll get the pic attaching sorted this w/e and post the pics I took of the bird.

From the pics Giselle sent, it's definitely the Grey Heron. It was so huge though, quite scary to see a bird that size in the garden here as we're near the sea and gulls or sometimes a hawk or grouse type birds are the largest we see. It perched at the top of the tallest tree and sort of surveyed the area for about 15 minutes. It didn't flinch or worry even with me snapping at it.

Thanks everyone.
Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 8:15 pm

Bubbs, if you're having toubles with the photo hosting try www.tinypic.com and post the img link into your post here, I usually find tthis easiest.