Singapore Expats Forum

Recruiters

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

patrickcoll

Recruiters

Postby patrickcoll » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:08 am

I will be moving to Singapore in the coming months with my girlfriend (she is being transferred by her company). I am an MBA Graduate (2003), with plenty of international experience. Are there any recruitment companies I should be sending my CV to ?

All suggestions welcome.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Recruiters

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:46 am

patrickcoll wrote:I will be moving to Singapore in the coming months with my girlfriend (she is being transferred by her company). I am an MBA Graduate (2003), with plenty of international experience. Are there any recruitment companies I should be sending my CV to ?

All suggestions welcome.

Type the following into Google: 'Recruitment Singapore' or 'Employment Singapore' or 'executive search firms singapore' then just take your pick. Not trying to be cheeky here, It's just that there are over 1100 Agency licenses issued by the Ministry of Manpower here so it's pot luck. A lot of bad ones, a very few good ones (relatively speaking only). Agencies have a bad name locally but the larger consultancies like KPMG, Anderson, Korn Ferry, etc. may be interested in talking to you. I personally cannot recommend anybody.

Good Luck

sms

patrickcoll

Postby patrickcoll » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 8:28 pm

Thanks for that - I had done the Google search already, was seeing if there were any recruiters that I should avoid. I'll keep at it - if anyone has any horror stories, I'll avoid those agencies.

PhantomX

Re: Recruiters

Postby PhantomX » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:44 am

patrickcoll wrote:I will be moving to Singapore in the coming months with my girlfriend (she is being transferred by her company). I am an MBA Graduate (2003), with plenty of international experience. Are there any recruitment companies I should be sending my CV to ?

All suggestions welcome.

Sorry but not trying a poke at you....graduate of 2003 and plenty of experience?

Not likely to be perceived by the recruiters as that..

Anyone of the likes of the Accounting Big 4 or the International Big timers like Korn Ferry and Michael Page would typically be interested at Middle Management ie 6 years of experience and above as the bottom of the barrel they would be scrapping from...ie anything less, please look somewhere else.

Sorry to sound so discouraging. But the sad truth is someone with 3years of experience would be classified as just about emerging from internship.
And for this type of search, you're best of with the JobDB.coms of this world or the back pages of the Job Classifieds. This is the reality and not my meaning to be derogatory.

I guess as a new comer to the country, you would not have a local network of contacts to speak of. So that's about it.
X

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:58 am

PhantomX

Obviously you haven't been keeping abreast of this topic which is across several threads.

The OP has, over 8 years international Finance experience and a 3 year old MBA. Please see the other threads for an complete view.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31539.html
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31583.html

He is currently still in the UK and will be coming over in a few months as his GF is being transferred here by her company.

sms

PhantomX

Postby PhantomX » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 1:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:PhantomX

Obviously you haven't been keeping abreast of this topic which is across several threads.

The OP has, over 8 years international Finance experience and a 3 year old MBA. Please see the other threads for an complete view.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31539.html
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic31583.html

He is currently still in the UK and will be coming over in a few months as his GF is being transferred here by her company.

sms

My Sincere Apologies to the OP for making an entirely ignorant comment.
May I ask what kind of professional services in the financial field have you cut your teeth in?
Obviously getting a search from the UK is far preferable to chancing a trip to Singapore looking for one, especially if you are looking for a package deal that involves relocation allowances etc etc.
My comment about the BIG 4 and the Korn Ferries of this world and equally SMS's comments would be applicable. The more precisely you describe your work experiences and of course supporting educational background the better a chance at getting an interview. But with a sea of competing applicant candidates,many equally good, the CV that gets picked would be one that has an unusual slant and that's a short but punchy precis of the most notable experiences and achievements of your career....including lessons learnt from the pitfalls too. All shine and not a speck of dust smacks of a degree of unreality and lack of transparency... another key attribute that recuriters would implicitly look for.
X

patrickcoll

Recruiters

Postby patrickcoll » Sun, 02 Apr 2006 8:44 pm

Phantom X.

Many thanks for your feedback and advice, your comments were not ignorant - I'm under no illusion that this will be difficult, so your constructive dose of reality is welcome advice !

My professional services experience that I've cut my teeth on: an energy sector project with one of the Big4 in Russia and the last 2 years as business manager for the Finance department of a major City of London law firm (120 fee earners, of which 44 are partners).

Prior to my MBA I have 5 years in FX Dealing + Sales / Corporate Treasury in the US and Switzerland. I speak 5 languages (French, Russian, Polish and Italian - since none are Asian, I realise while useful, this skill could be little more than a curiosity). I also ran a sideline as a consultant on the Russian space industry for a client (The Japanese Space Agency, NASDA). This summary is more of an off-the-cuff "readers digest version". I could give more info on a CV if you wanted to give feedback on this. I'd be happy to buy a drink / coffee when I get to SG for your time if you did. No obligation.

Fortunately relocation expenses are taken care of through my girlfriend's relocation package for her company (I am treated as a partner) and we will be getting a paid trip for a week or so to Singapore in the coming 8 weeks.

Many thanks for all your help so far ! Please feel free to keep comments / advice coming !

Regards,

P