Singapore Expats Forum

How do you like the hot and humid weather here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

How do you like the weather here?

Poll ended at Sun, 28 May 2006 8:25 pm

I love it so much!!! Summer all year long!!! Awesome!
59%
No way!!! I stay indoor most of the time.
41%

Total votes: 17

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:23 pm

I think the mosquitoes are attracted to certain people. Even in a huge group in mosquito-infested area, like the nature reserve, I would be bitten everywhere, whereas the others in the group can be quite immune from it.

Don't really know what makes me such an attractive target to the mosquitoes. Anyone with any thoughts on that? My hubby did not really get bitten too. He has much more bodily hair than I do. I am wondering if the mosquitoes are smart enough to know not to mess around with him lest they get entangled?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:32 pm

Mosquitoes are very well designed hunters & use various sense to find their targets.

They use "smell" to find people, they can also sense carbon dioxide.

I am sure I saw a documentary about it as they were trying to prove the hypothesis that mosquitoes are attracted to sweaty feet as well. So they had a man in a room full of them & he had more bites near his feet.

So I think that sweat has something to do with it, that is why tourists get bitten more as they are not used to the heat & sweat more.

Little buggers. But I would not recommend Tiger Balm mosquito repellent - it stinks! No wonder it keeps them off, it keeps everyone off - you can smell someone wearing it a mile off. Off is much better - just remember to spray your ankles. :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 2:20 pm

Hmmmm, I guess I just don't get out in the jungle enough. I'm from a rice growing area of Australia, all that irrigation and rice paddies means mosquitos by the millions, not to mention flies, locusts, bugs of all descriptions. I came here thinking the mosquitoes would be impossible to escape from but rather find the cockroaches much worse.

zikke

Postby zikke » Sun, 11 Jun 2006 9:58 am

I commute to work by bicycle every day. My route is about 15 km one way. Riding to work in the mornings is purely wonderful. On my way to work I ride in a slow and steady pace so I don't even have to shower when I reach work. On my way home I go fast to get some exercise. This way of travel makes my whole day feel better and I'm more alert.

Regarding mosquitoes, Singapore is paradise. Go to Sweden in summertime and you'll have a nice time fighting mosquitoes and wasps.

If you miss the cool breeze I recommend you to get out around 5 or 6 in the morning. It’s very refreshing. Go walking, jogging, or, like I do, go cycling.

The only time I use aircon at home is to get the humidity out. Don't want to leave my windows open due to all the dust that accumulates in the apartment. After all, the air in Singapore is not the best, but the weather, ahh... I love it!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 3:36 am

hello zikke, and welcome!

zikke wrote:If you miss the cool breeze I recommend you to get out around 5 or 6 in the morning. It’s very refreshing. Go walking, jogging, or, like I do, go cycling.

yes it's very nice in the wee hours, except when you have insomnia like i do now and am in no state to enjoy it! :wink:

zikke wrote: the air in Singapore is not the best, but the weather, ahh... I love it!

if there's one thing i could change about singapore it would be the weather. 5 degrees cooler and it would be perfect for me. glad you like it though.

MSS

Postby MSS » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:03 am

I love the weather!
Humidity is sometimes annoying, one have to care about items and clothes, but still the climate is much better than in my native (brrr very!) cold country.
I'm from Russia, Eastern Siberia;)
No winter forever - I used to dream of it during my childhood! Sometimes I want to see and feel some snow, but for a couple of minutes:)

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bunty » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:25 am

how do i vote

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

Postby bright_wave » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:22 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Born and bred a Singaporean but still unable to get used to the sticky humidity. It is not the heat but the humidity that bothers me. My hair looks flat and makeup slide off the face like paint. Find it hard to stay looking pretty in that weather. Needless to say, I only look good in an air-condition room.

If anyone is interested in a meetup when I pop over in SG, I can only meet you in an air-conditioned (or with industrial fan) environment. Just so I can create a good first impression :D .

I think it also has to do with age. My mum's air-con died. She did not replace it and only use fan. Kept hearing her complain about the heat. She never used to do that. And she prefers to sleep on the floor as it is more cooling.

BTW, I found out that the sticky humidity is bad for sex life. No wonder birth rate is declining :) .

:D :D :D :D :D :D My sentiments exactly - earthfriendly. Hate the humidty but enjoy the heat. If only it's drier, would enjoy keeping my leather jackets. :wink: :wink:

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:23 pm

I like it when it is breezy too. If the wind drops it can feel too hot for me.

If I go back to the UK in winter I love it and hate it at the same time. I love to be inside cozy and warm and I love to go for walks on crisp frosty days, but hate those drizzly wet days and freezing fog days which the UK has so many of.

I do like being able to go out here and not worry about having to take jumpers and coats, just an umbrella.....that is what I call travelling light - back home, some days you can experience every season in one day!