Singapore Expats

How do you like the hot and humid weather here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

How do you like the weather here?

Poll ended at Sun, 28 May 2006 8:25 pm

I love it so much!!! Summer all year long!!! Awesome!
59%
No way!!! I stay indoor most of the time.
41%

Total votes: 17

solarv
Chatter
Chatter

How do you like the hot and humid weather here?

Post by solarv » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 8:25 pm

I'm wondering how many of you love the weather here? Anyone from a hot country loves the weather here?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 8:27 pm

Aussie, Frog and Kraut = love it!
One in the hand is worth two of something

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 8:42 pm

No complaints, been here 24+ years and still don't have aircon in my house. And I'm from an area with -14° winters and 42° summers with 90+% humidity.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 8:52 pm

Love the Singapore weather, ok it takes a bit of time to get used to it but that's only natural

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 8:54 pm

Love it too.

Somethimes, it would be nice to have a milder day or two, but honestly when that happened a couple of days back, I suddenly thought: crap - this is like "home" - which right now will be freezing cold and miserable. No thanks.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 9:23 pm

Don't mind it. Really wish it cooled off a few degrees at night though, I love snuggling under a doona or blanket.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 9:35 pm

Love it here, just returned from Melbourne where it was sunny and 30 during the day (bit of a shock for March) but still gets way too cold at night for me...and I just love being able to have a shower and not freeze when I get out! :)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:50 am

I really like the steamy tropical evenings and bright sunlit mornings it is so often overcast and dull here. Even better when you don't have to dress up like an Eskimo every six months.

Plavt.

Ecka Dimmock

Post by Ecka Dimmock » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 6:27 am

I find it pretty uncomfortable, and I'd die without aircon.

I'm sort of used to it now, but I still need a shower after a short time outside. Definitely the humid, mosquito-filled air is not my favourite aspect.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:38 am

I grew up in Hong Kong but spent my later life in England - I love it :D

I could never really get used to the short winter days back in the UK, I used to find going to work in the dark & coming home afterwards in the dark really quite depressing (SAD?).

Hot & wet? love it!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bunty » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:46 am

find it uncomfortable even when at home. i have come from india with similar conditions, but for some reason finding this weather not suitable,
have already done a post on this .

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:59 am

I prefer it much more than the cold 'n foggy 'n groomy 'n rainy days back in N-Europe.

But I also do need the aircon at times in the house, or at least a constant breeze of the fan, otherwise I get crazy, even after so many years.

Ideal climate would be the one here in SIngapore, with just a bit less humidity, the temperature itself is very nice, just less humid 'd be nice.

Eric

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:03 pm

Ecka Dimmock wrote:I find it pretty uncomfortable, and I'd die without aircon.

I'm sort of used to it now, but I still need a shower after a short time outside. Definitely the humid, mosquito-filled air is not my favourite aspect.
honestly??? what mosquitos? I think I have been bitten about twice in my 5 months here.

The thing I miss most is a nice cool breeze, and that fresh feeling that comes with it. But hey, give me endless summer!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:37 pm

Born and bred a Singaporean but still unable to get used to the sticky humidity. It is not the heat but the humidity that bothers me. My hair looks flat and makeup slide off the face like paint. Find it hard to stay looking pretty in that weather. Needless to say, I only look good in an air-condition room.

If anyone is interested in a meetup when I pop over in SG, I can only meet you in an air-conditioned (or with industrial fan) environment. Just so I can create a good first impression :D .

I think it also has to do with age. My mum's air-con died. She did not replace it and only use fan. Kept hearing her complain about the heat. She never used to do that. And she prefers to sleep on the floor as it is more cooling.

BTW, I found out that the sticky humidity is bad for sex life. No wonder birth rate is declining :) .

Ecka Dimmock

Post by Ecka Dimmock » Thu, 30 Mar 2006 1:06 pm

Cheekybeek wrote: honestly??? what mosquitos? I think I have been bitten about twice in my 5 months here.

The thing I miss most is a nice cool breeze, and that fresh feeling that comes with it. But hey, give me endless summer!
Well, we live in a rather jungly bit of the island, which is nice in some ways (see more wildlife, less traffic, not so crowded) but mosquitos are ever-present. I don't get bitten so much, but my wife and one of the kids does (I guess it's a blood type thing). Mind you, on a recent visit to Australia, the flies drove me crazy so there are bugs everywhere.

I do enjoy the cool (but not freezing cold) dry winters in Sydney though: great for long walks. Singapore weather's great for taxis.