Singapore Expats Forum

Temasek & Thailand

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 9:19 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Wham wrote:So who DOES own Temasek? Is it essentially a pension fund for the people? Or is there a more sinister answer?

I am sure, somewhere you'd find a name "Lee"....

Eric

Which one? The one that runs the country or the one that runs Temasek? (yes, yes, they don't share the same name) In the end they both share the same address and breakfast table. . .

I happen to not think that there is something sinister going on - it is simply a business transaction and the Thais are generally uneducated enough to be manipulated by the politicians.
One in the hand is worth two of something

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:18 pm

Wham wrote:So who DOES own Temasek? Is it essentially a pension fund for the people? Or is there a more sinister answer?

Central Provident Fund is the pension fund for the people.

Temasek is the Investment Vehicle that is a "public entity" that is "wholly owned" by the Ministry of Finance. So it is a commercial enterprise but it just so happens that 100% of the stock is owned by the government. Legal deniability based on a technicality? I think that's what it's called. While it can say they only answer to their board of directors, guess who makes up the board, former MP & Ministers. Not forgetting who the CEO is the wife of of course!

And to think, they like to point at the GOP in the US and smirk. :roll: