Singapore Expats Forum

Bye bye Tony?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Bye bye Tony?

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 3:18 am

Well, is the end in sight for old Tony Blair?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Plavt

Re: Bye bye Tony?

Postby Plavt » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 7:09 am

Bubbles wrote:Well, is the end in sight for old Tony Blair?

Let's hope so.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 5:10 pm

OK, I may or may not agree with his politics, but has anyone noticed what an example of what stress can do to you over a shortish period of time he is?

The man has visibly aged ten years in the last year or two.

Rather him than me, or rather any of them than me, they can't do right for doing wrong, and the Guys or Girls with Knives are waiting round every corner.

Urrgh, thank goodness I(try to) write stories and don't run the nation's lives.

Ah, now then, another thread within a thread.....

If you had the power, what law would you implement?....Nothing too daft, sort of serious what you think is missing....

I'll go have a think, but it'll be something to do with kids and books....or the like.

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Bye bye Tony?

Postby Saint » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 5:18 pm

Bubbles wrote:Well, is the end in sight for old Tony Blair?

We can only hope and pray it is [-o<

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 6:29 pm

I think that Tony Blair is the closest thing to a statesman on either side of the Atlantic. Yes, he is imperfect. OTOH, this is the man that managed a bridge between Europe and the USA at a time when Bush was doing everything possible to alienate every last country in the world. Had Blair not been there, the rift would have been much wider and harder to repair.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 7:06 pm

I agree. My biggest fear is that Brown is aloud to take over for too long. He is personally responsible for the rape a pillage of our pension system in the face of an aging population. This will end in misery and poverty for millions of us in the future.

Without TB I think Labour's days are numbered, a bit like what happened to the Tories after Mr T left. Brown may win one election just because the conservatives aren't ready, but it won't be long until the crippling tax burden allow them back in.

I did a tally of my income/expenses for my last year in the UK and an amazing 52% of my income was paid in taxes. That just can't be right.

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Postby Ship Shape » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:46 am

Get out of Britain while you still can. There really doesnt seem to be much going for it anymore...traffic, ever increasing number of chavs, high taxes, bad weather, bling attitudes, expensive goods, highly competitive job market, poor public transport, high crime rate, Tony Blair and Eastenders.

A once great nation is on its knees.

I couldnt go back. You cant make me!!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 2:07 pm

One could replace Tony Blair with JP Balkenende of The Netherlands or one of the other German or French PM's, it would still read the same....

Not a good foresight for Europe.... :(

Ringo, I paid an average 52% as well, here in Singapore now it is still about 1% as a self proprietor..... :)

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:23 pm

Hang on! Eric, did you just say you only pay 1% tax? Or am I dreaming? If that is the case, we'll all be over there sharpish. Can't remember it being like that when we were there.

Just one or two comments about the UK. Sure, it's shocking the political system at the moment, and goods are expensive, and yes, crime is higher, but there are things to recommend it.

It's got the weather it's always had, nothing has changed much over the last 1000 years really, and it's just a European place, so, what do you expect? But it has diversity. There is lots to be said for getting a variety of anything.
And I love the attitude of lots of Brits, sort of roll with it. Yes there are whingers, sharks, lowlifes, backstabbers, and blingbling brains......but it is not just here. Surely these people exist even in the back of beyond?
And like the system or not, get caught up in anything illegal, and you WILL get your say and your day in court. Many places in the world would see you disappearing from view for 'crimes' we consider public duty speaking.
For instance, I could go up to London today, stand outside Harrods or in the square in Soho, or wherever, and slag off Tony Blair till the cows came home. I could say, 'You're rubbish, you are to blame for x,y,z, and you'll make us penniless'..........and all I'd get is people giving me a wide berth, looking at me strange, or a copper telling me to move along now.'
(Or men in white coats!!!!)......But seriously, freedom of speech, and the long tradition of almost expecting someone to pipe up and say something about public figures is priceless.
Mind you, I do agree, there are lots of things which have gone downhill here, but someone has to put their hand up and say that not everything is bad. Just bits of it.
Mind you, I still wish I was in Singapore today, even walking down Orchard Road would be nice.....(SMS said he never goes there).....

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:43 pm

It's amazing, isn't it?

yep, I am self proprietor, only got taxed for 1% regarding income last year....

Eric

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 9:32 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love the UK and it has a lot going for it. But I would much rather have Blair in the hot seat that Brown.

I think people need to be a less dependant on the state.