Singapore Expats Forum

Are they smarter than we are?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Are they smarter than we are?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 9:19 pm

Or are they just deluded? By whose yardstick?

I've often wondered if it is the ultimate bowing out. Especially as a Nam vet and oil rigger combined with an over the hill deep sea diver.

What about it guys? Would you?

[quote][url=http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm][b]“The Silly Old Man with the Young Thai Girl in the Texas Lone Star Saloon”

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 9:25 pm

I'm not sure. Thankfully I'm not in the position that a lot of Caucasians find/place themselves in in Thailand.

Is it rewarding to be a human chequebook? How gratifying can it be for those of us who are a bit more cerebral to 'hang out' with a girl in her teens and speaks a different language . . .

Glass houses, I would say.
One in the hand is worth two of something

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 9:51 pm

Sometimes, you don't find the right one and you settle for what you get, even if you have to pay for it. I try not to judge. Loneliness can be very painful and you might do anything for companionship.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:10 pm

Personally as a westerner I find all this facination with Thai girls amongst other Asians rather perplexing. Much of it is because many take superficial differences to be fundamental. A good deal of my fellow westerners imagine Asian women to be docile and obient serving their every whim and wish. Try telling them about the culture and the fact that many Asian women are the dominant party within in the home and it goes in one ear and out the other.

To make matters worse and as you will no doubt know we have the mail order bride websites cashing-in on either the misconceptions as mentioned above, loneliness or dare I say it the sexual appetites of 'dirty old men'.

However, I have known relationships between two different people of differing ages and cultures be successful. At an event I went to some years ago I met a number of English men who had Filipino wives and all were happy even though none had incomes of any great financial standing.

Don't really know what to think myself .

Plavt.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:43 pm

Sometimes, we want to be needed and desired....

..even if it comes at a price.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:23 pm

I guess it just crossed my mind today and after answering fefe's post in another thread this afternoon about the me-me-me generation, I'm just wondering if this might just become more prevalent in the future. Most of the old oil hands didn't find themselves the their positions. Most of them actually delibertly put themselves into that postion. I know a bunch that are still there and I left the oil field over a decade ago.

"if you can't love the one you want, love the one you're with" as the song goes. The oil business was a great destroyer of marriages for the past 60 or 70 years. When one spend 1 or 2 months at a time offshore or worse, a year or two overseas in no family areas, it does put undue stress of both parties. Loneliness overseas as well as at home can lead to temptations unknown. I lost my 2nd wife due to that very fact myself.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:57 pm

I think the older you get the more accepting you are of all these spring/autumn or winter couplings. It's all very well to laugh at the man for falling for a young woman.....and to slag off the woman for sticking with an old man for his money......but, I say, if it suits both sides, and both are getting what they want from the union, who should care but them?

Most old guys know these pretty young things wouldn't look twice if they were poor, and most young women know that if there is no choice in your life because of poverty then they will each turn to whatever method works for them.

It's only when the old guys start boasting about how great they are...to attract such pretty girls, or when they start to put down other, perhaps, older women of their own kind....well, that's when it starts to rankle.

Play the game, sure, do what you want.....but for goodness sake don't get so much into the part you're playing to believe all the hype you spread around. And don't suddenly think that you've become so scrumptious to the other sex that it's fine to put down perfectly normal older women. (Or men)

But wouldn't it be great if there were true love stories of the old/young? There must be a lot I'm sure, but it does make you cynical as to motives, but then again, what business is it of ours. More power to them I say.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.