Singapore Expats Forum

The Seven Year Old Surgeon.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

The Seven Year Old Surgeon.

Postby Plavt » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 8:21 pm

Here is something that posters may care to read which comes from the UK's channel 5 program 'Extraordinary People'.

http://www.five.tv/programmes/extraordinarypeople/sevenyosurgeon/

For an overall view;

http://www.five.tv/programmes/extraordinarypeople/

Plavt.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 8:50 am

I'll believe this boy's genius when he makes something of himself. Hope he gets the right opportunities to prove himself.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:23 am

It is life immitating art, Doogie Howser was the first thing that came to my mind :)

Although I have to say I would not feel 100% comfortable having him operate on me
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 5:13 pm

I saw the programme and although it is perfectly obvious this boy has potential genius the little lad was really rather strange. The way he berated himself on what he saw as his 'failures' in the European testing of his IQ was eye-opening, like an old man after a long fight against injustice, he shook his head, looked so sad, yet pledged to do better and get tested again. (He failed on the dexterity tests miserably and fell below other children of his age...) Would you want someone with those failings to do delicate operations? The experts, (Child Psychologists, Med Docs, etc) said he'd been hot-housed too soon, too pressured and needed to have more fun, basically. As a child would, doing childish things to get the dexterity most children acquire through play.
I hope this lad does take a back seat so that his body catches up with his mind, and is left to build his important social networks. I don't think he will be able to though, as he's been put on such a pedestal now. Poor lad, a brilliant mind for our futures pushed too hard, too soon. Yes, he likes it, but he shouldn't have been placed in such an exalted position without the adults in charge knowing he also needed to be a baby and child before being an adult.
That's my take on it, anyway.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

peollie

Postby peollie » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:59 pm

I think the boy is a genius too. It is amazing how the little one knew so much about the medical terminology.

We need geniuses like him I would say :D
life is for living.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 1:43 am

True, Peollie, but all in the fullness of time, don't you think? Let the boy have some semblance of a childhood first.

Dylan Thomas.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 6:52 pm

Us Brits will probably know the story of child genius James Harris who is from Bubbs neck of the woods, Cardiff!

This is him in 1988 aged 10

However, he was a confused child and this is what he/she looks like now!

http://www.tongs.org.uk/wiki.pl?JamesHarries

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 24 Mar 2006 6:56 pm

Damn me, nice boobs. What's that I was saying about 44EE's, lololol? :o :o :o :o :o

Dylan Thomas.