Singapore Expats Forum

Shipping DVDs/ Movie censorship?!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
el Greco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore

Shipping DVDs/ Movie censorship?!

Postby el Greco » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 8:59 pm

Hi there expats.experts!

I got a list from my Moving Company where among others it is suggested not to ship over CD or DVD/video films and if I do I need to fill out a list categorising/mentioning all of them and may be obliged to pay import taxes on them!

What's the true story behind importing DVDs, VCDs and personal home made videos (whatever these may include).

Thanks guys
El Greco!

bunty
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon, 20 Mar 2006
Location: SG

Postby bunty » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 9:38 am

Hi

I too also moved from india and was told about this. Basically pirated and pornography is strictly prohibited.

User avatar
bright_wave
Regular
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed, 08 Feb 2006
Location: --Now North --

Re: Shipping DVDs/ Movie censorship?!

Postby bright_wave » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 7:48 pm

el Greco wrote:Hi there expats.experts!

I got a list from my Moving Company where among others it is suggested not to ship over CD or DVD/video films and if I do I need to fill out a list categorising/mentioning all of them and may be obliged to pay import taxes on them!

What's the true story behind importing DVDs, VCDs and personal home made videos (whatever these may include).

Thanks guys
El Greco!


hi,

I shipped my dvds back from europe and was detained at the MDA (i can't remember if this abbre is the right one) anyway, they asked me to categorise all my dvds in order to be submitted for screening purposes. (I wonder if they organise a free movie session or what for this :???:) but they gave me back all my arty dvds. 2 weeks later, I had to pay S$1.80 for a sticker that says that MDA has authorised (blah blah) PER DVD. in the end, I had dvds that were detained as they are not allowed in singapore such as the south park movie!!! :roll:

and they destroyed it ..... alternatively, I could write in to the director to explain why they shouldn't destroy it... :o .... :cry:

*sigh* that's my story for dvds in Singapore. so better buy new ones here for all the work you are going to go through.

User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005
Location: Singapore

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 1:36 pm

cenosrship is a bit of a nightmare over here in Singapore.

what we did was transfer our DVDs to a cd case/folder type thing, to save space, & then brought them over in our hand luggage. It is a risk as you might have your bag searched on entry but unlikely.

Of course it depends how many you have
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
el Greco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby el Greco » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 3:27 pm

Jesus! Where am I coming to???! :shock:

Any ideas what happens with personnal videos? holidays, events, intimate (Paris Hilton 8-) ) moments... do they scroll through these as well??

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:24 am

You know what El Greco?

Chewing gum is also prohibited here, and we cane people when jaywalking. On top of that we fine you for 5000$ if you dare to eat in the subway. :o

Relax, like Baron says, bring it in in hand luggage. Chances are slim you get busted.

Any country has rules, Singapore is just somewhat more strict.

Paris Hilton :???:

Dude, who is funny here, Singapore or you being a fan of this weirdo?

Eric

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 2:57 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:You know what El Greco?

Chewing gum is also prohibited here, and we cane people when jaywalking. On top of that we fine you for 5000$ if you dare to eat in the subway. :o

Relax, like Baron says, bring it in in hand luggage. Chances are slim you get busted.

Any country has rules, Singapore is just somewhat more strict.

Paris Hilton :???:

Dude, who is funny here, Singapore or you being a fan of this weirdo?

Eric


:lol: :lol:

Welcome back Sir :cool:

User avatar
el Greco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue, 21 Feb 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby el Greco » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 3:28 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:You know what El Greco?

Paris Hilton :???:

Dude, who is funny here, Singapore or you being a fan of this weirdo?

Eric


Eric my friend, you got me all wrong here! anything but a fan of this personna. I just used it to reference the possible content of home made videos! :wink:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu, 21 Oct 2004

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 4:07 pm

el Greco wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:You know what El Greco?

Paris Hilton :???:

Dude, who is funny here, Singapore or you being a fan of this weirdo?

Eric


Eric my friend, you got me all wrong here! anything but a fan of this personna. I just used it to reference the possible content of home made videos! :wink:


:wink:

Eric


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest