Singapore Expats

Pocket Money

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Pocket Money

Post by Bubbles » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 7:15 pm

For all those who have kids....

Do you still give them 'pocket money' or do you give them an allowance, paid into the bank, as seems to be normal here?

Mine are too big now, but recently I spoke to someone who has opened an account for her ten year old. How times move on.

And do you insist that they help around the house, or do other things, for it?

I guess that's how the world is going but I used to love Saturdays when I was a kid cos that was the day I got the actual 'cash' off my mum. (£1) if I remember rightly.

Happy Days.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 7:17 pm

Cash for chores. If they do their chores well they gat their pocketmoney.
Teaches kids to respect money and also realise that it's not a right, but something to be earned.

'nuff said Image

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:29 pm

Yep, agree. Money for a bit of effort on their part. Can be anything, walking the dog, cutting grass, washing car. But it's good to teach them they also have to work for their money.

Dylan Thomas.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 5:58 am

My 2 teenagers get about $50 a week, this varies depending on the length of the week(how many days are they in classes)as this covers lunch, extras after school, and transport. In return I do expect laundry and rubbish brought down from their rooms, clean laundry returned back up. I ask that they help doing other chores around the house(rubbish to the bin, dishes brought back into the kitchen, set table, return items back to the frig, etc.)> There are some weeks they may not get the full amount as they haven't been as helpful or their behavior hasn't been up to our expectations...they never question as they usually know why or what they have done. Their money will often cover movies on the weekend or bowling with their friends, if they plan ahead.

My daughter saves her money and has been able to buy some special things. My son, oldest child, has no understanding of saving for that rainy day. He's lucky if he has a few coins left at the the end of the week.

I also know of a family who gives their 2 teens about $500 a month, which covers everything--food, transport, phones, clothing. Don't know how this works or what they are expected to do in return.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 6:42 am

My kids get $50 every Monday as well to cover lunches, school supplies, and other incidentals. They are expected to keep their rooms clean, pick up after themselves, clear the table after a meal, put their laundry away. There are always extra chores to earn extra money. Sometimes my son takes advantage of this, the girls never seem to.

When we are in the States for the summer and a month in the winter, they do a lot more work and can, potentially get paid a lot more. Its hard here with a maid and their schedules. One of my kids maintains a straight A average, Irish dances and plays 3 sports -- its not that I don't think chores in exchange of money is important, its just fitting the time into their schedules that's hard.

As they grow there are some grey areas:

who pays for their friend's birthday gifts?
does my son get more? (he certainly eats a lot more)
does their monthly allowance on iTunes count as cash?

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 6:55 am

Thanks Matney and MHB....what you've told me is interesting. I must admit to having an ulterior motive when asking this. In my latest writing one of the kids is having a problem with the amount of pocket-money she's getting and is deciding how to augment it. I needed info on how kids spend theirs these days, and what they had to do to get it. I've not decided yet if I'll make the child a lazy, or helpful girl, but it's great to hear from real people, and their choices.

I wish there was an upfront way of asking young people these questions without being thought of as too intrusive, or worse. It's fine if you work with, or know families with children the age you're writing for, but if you don't it's easy to write rubbish....then the kids will spot you as a fake a mile off.

There's no way any forum could be set up to ask kids their thoughts on normal things like this either, as it would be so easy for weirdos to infiltrate it. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a story and the main character is say, looking for a present for her friend.....I wish I could ask....'So, you 9 year olds, what would you buy your best friend for her birthday, if you only had £2?' or....'What do you really think about swearing, or stealing, or bullying?'.........So, you have to imagine it, and put in a 'guiding hand' mentality, without them spotting you doing it, of course.

Perhaps I should just have a couple more children, wait nine years, then ask them....lol.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 8:08 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
As they grow there are some grey areas:

does my son get more? (he certainly eats a lot more)

Yes, he should get more to reflect the free market's higher pay for males. Might as well let him get to know the real world. :)

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 8:25 am

I'm serious. You should see this kid eat! When he went off to boarding school in September of '04 he was 4ft 6in. Now he's 5' 8". He gew 14" in 18 months. No wonder he can sleep 12 hours at a time...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 8:47 am

:lol:

'nuff said Image

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 4:33 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

Dylan Thomas.