Singapore Expats Forum

can i work on a dependent pass? if not how do i change

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rashmi

can i work on a dependent pass? if not how do i change

Postby rashmi » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 4:46 pm

my status.
hi
my husband is working here in singapore and i am here on a dependent pass. i was working as a lecturer in india for about 2years. i have a degree in chemical engg.how do i go about looking for a job here? alernatively i would like to study further. do i have to change my pass for that. please let me know if you have any information.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

In singapore

Postby Scorpion » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 5:18 pm

Rashmi, there shouldn’t be any problem if you are aiming to work in Singapore. You are required to follow some procedure (to get a letter of consent from the Immigration office) before starting to work. You have to secure a job first and then can consult with the HR department or the respective organization or consultant. They will be able to assist you further regards this.

For pursuing your studies, there are no rules and regulations. As a dependant pass holder, you can join any course of your choice. ‘NTU’ an ‘NUS’, are two college’s where you can select most of the master and PhD course that may require you to sit for an entrance exam or would require an TOEFL or GRE scores.

Cheers
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

donno
Chatter
Chatter

Postby donno » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:46 am

SMU and SIM too.
10 April 2006

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Re: can i work on a dependent pass? if not how do i change

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:35 pm

rashmi wrote:my status.
hi
my husband is working here in singapore and i am here on a dependent pass. i was working as a lecturer in india for about 2years. i have a degree in chemical engg.how do i go about looking for a job here? alernatively i would like to study further. do i have to change my pass for that. please let me know if you have any information.

You can work, study or both on a DP. When you get a job, you will need a Letter of Consent to work (LOC). It takes two weeks. If you are planning on teaching, you will need to register with Ministry of Education too - again, this comes after you get a job offer. In total for dependant teachers, it will take about six weeks for approval. It's still easier than an employment pass though.