Singapore Expats Forum

Learning to windsurf?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
littlemisslin

Learning to windsurf?

Postby littlemisslin » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 8:14 pm

I was quite inspired to learn how to windsurf this weekend, only to find out that the sea sport centre on the East Coast Parkway is closing down and offer no more lessons! Has anyone taken any windsurfing lessons in Singapore? Do you know anywhere else to go?

jazzmatazzie

Postby jazzmatazzie » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:07 am

You probably meant the one at the former Europa or rather the one operated by pasta fresca. These are the only two places that offer classes if I'm not wrong. Well, try the People's Association Sea Sports Centre, also along the east coast park. That can't be closing down since it's under the Singapore Sports Council and demand for windsurfing classes is usually quite high since many tertiary students sign up for classes.......only to quit very soon after.

littlemisslin

Postby littlemisslin » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:47 pm

Well, the one I went to was right next to Pasta Fresca, called East Coast Sea Sport Centre. Apparently they are closing down in May due to change of Management. They are not sure what's going to happen after that. But i will try the one that you suggested. Thanks, jazzmatazzie!

jazzmatazzie

Postby jazzmatazzie » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:49 pm

Still, its rather sad that the Pasta Fresca one is closing down. I'd always preferred it even if it was pricier. Nicer equipment, place to sail and people.

I hate this one guy at the People's Assoc side. Snotty twat! See, when you're a beginner, you tend not to be able to come back to shore so sometimes you need them to come bail you out. And he wants to charge $20 for that! And even though he did have the decency to warn me and my friend and give us a beginner's bailout, you'd be hard pressed to find coal blacker than their faces. And I could go on but you get the picture.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:30 am

littlemisslin wrote:Well, the one I went to was right next to Pasta Fresca, called East Coast Sea Sport Centre. Apparently they are closing down in May due to change of Management. They are not sure what's going to happen after that. But i will try the one that you suggested. Thanks, jazzmatazzie!

that's correct, we don't know what's going to happen and we are trying to keep it to stay open

for windsufing lessons you can certainly go there and learn, they are great people, the lessons are very reasonable, and they can use the business

plus you could help out by signing the petition we have to keep the place open, it's not supposed to close until later in the summer, I never heard May but there are a lot of rumors

littlemisslin

Postby littlemisslin » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:00 pm

EADG wrote:for windsufing lessons you can certainly go there and learn, they are great people, the lessons are very reasonable, and they can use the business

plus you could help out by signing the petition we have to keep the place open, it's not supposed to close until later in the summer, I never heard May but there are a lot of rumors

Well, i did try to sign up for lessons, but they said that they are not taking anymore students as the classes are full until the new management comes on board. The closing down in May rumour actually comes from the ticket office so i guess it can't be far off from the truth! Quite sad, really... i am surprised that there aren't more people doing it in Singapore... where is circulating the petition? i would definitely get some friends to sign!!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 2:35 pm

littlemisslin wrote:Well, i did try to sign up for lessons, but they said that they are not taking anymore students as the classes are full until the new management comes on board. The closing down in May rumour actually comes from the ticket office so i guess it can't be far off from the truth! Quite sad, really... i am surprised that there aren't more people doing it in Singapore... where is circulating the petition? i would definitely get some friends to sign!!

the best way is to go down there, just walk through towards the back, thre are areas where many windsurf sails are hanging, then people will be hanging out around there, just ask one. Or look for the small hut where the instructors / rescuers are. It's a community of people, all nice, and would appreciate the extra names if it hasn't been submitted yet.

But don't ask at the resturant!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:05 pm

after visiting there today and having a few conversations with some reliable sources, a couple of things:

1 is that the May date seems to be more of the case than later in the summer, but still, no one knows for sure

2 is that you should be able to take lessons until the middle-end of April, maybe come down and try, but I can't promise (sorry, forgot to ask)