Singapore Expats Forum

Where can I find...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Where can I find...

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone

I know this site is affiliated to a property co but perhaps the regulars could help me?

Where can I find a good agency which sells property in Malaysia?

Have any of you used one? Perhaps one which deals with outsiders, i.e. Brits, buying there?

And, I know there's some sort of initiative for foreigners to buy there, and rules. Could anyone point me to a website which helps with this.

Thanks, in anticipation.....would one day love to have a place there, if the price isn't too ridiculous.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 8:27 pm

I'm trying to write a response that won't upset you, so here goes:

I have met quite a few expats that have tried living in MY and every single one left after anything between 1 year and 8 years after their moving in.

Complaints range from:
* residency problems (even from those married to Malaysians)
* pathetic bureacracy (you think the UK is bad . . . )
* horrendous crime rate, everything from theft to B&A to A&B
* corrupt officials - especially cops
* bribery is not only accepted but you can't get anything done without it
* dropping property values
* constantly changing property legislation

The list goes on, and is not a reflection on a comparison between Singapore and Malaysia.

Why not look at Thailand instead?

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 8:42 pm

Dear Bubbles,
Vaucluse has a point the last I heard the Thai goverment had some scheme or some such thing in which they welcomed foreigners (maybe retired can't quite remember) to come and live in the country.

I think I read this in the Straits Times but cannot remember for certain however I do know of at least one citizen of this country who recently bought a house on the outskirts of Bangkok so if I can acquire more information I will let you know.

Plavt.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 8:51 pm

Bubbles,
That below would seem genuine and may be of some help taken from:

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/expatnews3.htm

Initially you must apply for a nonimmigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand. Requirements: 1/. Application form T.M.72/. Copy of passport or substitute document. 3/. One 4 x 6 cm photo. 4/. 500 baht fee. 5/. Proof of financial status or pension. If the applicant is 60 years or older, the alien must have a definite income of not less than 200,000 baht per year or not less than 20,000 baht per month. For an applicant who is over 55 years old, proof of income of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented. [NB.. THE OLD LAW WAS YOU HAD TO HAVE BOTH ).

If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 55-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61).

Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension.

Those arriving in Oct 1998 or after & have obtained a permit to stay on the basis of having 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank, must increase that amount to 800,000 baht before applying for an annual extension.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks folks.

Hmm, Vauc, that does give me pause to think. I lived in KL for two years and loved it, but it's not the same I guess, living on a company deal to actually shelling out hard cash for a place.

My idea was to get a place, maybe Mersing or thereabouts, so to be near to Singapore too. I was thinking of using it for maybe six months of the year, on and off. Now I have visions of people casing the joint the minute I leave.

I must admit, the last time I was in KL, and sat in a local bar...(have told this story I think, on here) the barman said, 'Don't sit too near the outside, and mind your bag cos guys on motorcyles have been known to zip by with parangs and chop off bags, and worse still....maybe arms) Now, I'm not sure if this is true, perhaps just a local horror story to frighten outsiders, but I took it as a bit OTT. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I know about the 'backhanders' etc. I won't say it's rife, but it does go on. What that would mean in terms of living there, or buying, I am not sure.

Ahh, worries, worries.

Of course, I would love to get somewhere in Singapore, but apart from ridiculous prices I guess it's a no go for foreigners.

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 9:38 pm

Bubbles, those stories are not over the top, but best you read some of the newspapers (been there so many times on business and everyone complains of the state of affairs, event hough they have improved after Badawi)

New Straits Times
http://www.nst.com.my/

The Star
http://thestar.com.my/

'nuff said Image

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:04 pm

Bubbs...

..it is very risky for a foreigner to buy properties there especially if you intend to live in them or even lease them out.

If your purpose is solely investment, I suggest you find developments where the ruling party or certain top ranking and influential people are involved. The reason for doing so would be obvious....

..... not meant to slag or slander but am speaking from experience and 'burnt pocket.'

Hope that helps in someway Bubbs.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks Tiki, and everyone, I'll take that on board.

By the way, would there be any problems, religion wise? I'm not trying to stir things up here, just asking.

Wonder if there are areas of Malaysia which are less welcoming to foreigners because of that reason?

Dylan Thomas.