Singapore Expats Forum

I need a reliable good dressmaker/seamstress. Know one?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

I need a reliable good dressmaker/seamstress. Know one?

Postby micknlea » Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:13 pm

Does anyone know of a good dressmaker/seamstress for making an evening "cocktail" style/type dress?

I am most definitely not a singaporean size person and cannot buy from any shop here and I desperately need a really nice dress to wear to my best friends wedding back home.

I am only going back for the wedding so won't have any time to shop there so I need to find something here...in the next four weeks...

Please help....anyone know a really good place to go? :???: [-o<
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: I need a reliable good dressmaker/seamstress. Know one?

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 6:29 am

micknlea wrote:Does anyone know of a good dressmaker/seamstress for making an evening "cocktail" style/type dress?

I am most definitely not a singaporean size person and cannot buy from any shop here and I desperately need a really nice dress to wear to my best friends wedding back home.

I am only going back for the wedding so won't have any time to shop there so I need to find something here...in the next four weeks...

Please help....anyone know a really good place to go? :???: [-o<

I have had 3 'ball gowns' (really just a long cocktail dress) made at Sunny Point in Far East Shopping Center (between the Hilton and Wheelock). They have a rack of goreous samples and you can try them on (best you can, they are like a size '0', then they will custom make it to your specifications, even make a bag and shoes if you want.

I have always been happy with their work. Hope this helps. I'm in the same dilemma and may be heading there myself. :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:47 am

Thanks Mary! Will definitely check it out. :)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:02 am

Karen Er is the head designer there. Let me know how it turns out...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 7:06 pm

Just out of curiosity, how much does the making of such a dress cost? Generally? And do they prefer you to buy fabric there? Interested as a party dress here....to get made by a seamstress of talent....would cost the earth, perhaps way over £100 or more. And if you went to a designer that figure would go up many times more. Still, you'd get a one off wouldn't you?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 18 Mar 2006 9:10 pm

For a full length dress made of silk with pearl embellishments? Easily S $500.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 8:43 pm

Hmm, pricey. But I bet it's worth it. If you look at some of the dresses that pass for 'evening' they sell in the shops here, and all ridiculous prices, i.e. £500 etc, and see the really quite shoddy and mass produced workmanship, I would say that a designer made to measure is far preferable way to spend your cash.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 7:12 am

So true Bubbs. I remember reading in Vogue or something how women have it all backwards. They should spend the most money they possibly can on a pair of jeans because they get worn so often and in bright daylight. An evening gown should be the cheapest, it's worn once or twice, and in low light. Anything looks good at night.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 7:38 am

True Mary

I read The Times today here and it's got a fashion supplement with it....apparently 'White and floaty and frilly' is in for women this summer. Now, that's fine, and I loved the look of all the stuff they had pictured....but the problem is....I used to wear stuff like that 20 years ago, and that's the killer, isn't it? Thinking you can wear it again, when you patently shouldn't. According to them, this years 'Baby Doll' white look should only be worn by the under 25's and pref the under 20's....yeah yeah, you know what'll happen....it'll slip down through the catwalk, through the magazines, to the posh shops then to the High Street and by May we'll all be wearing something frilly, I bet you, even if we do look like a dog's dinner in it.!!!

They reckoned that wearing pastel colours is a no no for the over 40's and wearing white for the 'older woman' i.e. over 35 should only mean tailored. God, these 'fashionatas' are such boring gits. If I want to wear white, black or purple, I will, and tough on me if I look mad, which I probably will.....I love this poem below, and know lots know it, but will paste it anyway.....sums me up when old, I think....

I Shall Wear Purple

When I am an old woman
I shall wear purple,
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and
summer gloves. And satin sandals, and say we've
no money for butter. I shall sit down on the pavement
when I'm tired. And gobble up samples in shops and
press alarm bells. And run my stick along public
railings. And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain. And pick
flowers in other people's gardens. And learn to
spit...
But, maybe I ought to practice a little now? So
people who know me are not too shocked or surprised
when suddenly I am old and start to wear
purple.

- Jenny Joseph

Dylan Thomas.